It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GP9 water supply manifold
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:40 pm 

We have had leaks in the supply manifold pipe in the airbox on the fireman's side. The repair clamps work for awhile and leak again. Can the line be removed by removing the pump? We would have to cut a hole in the rear of the car body and probably remove a bunch of stuff that's in the way.

Tom Hamilton

Post subject: Re: GP9 water supply manifold
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:40 pm 

Never tried to pull one, however I thought about a few times. I think the accessory rack has you as bad as anything. My first reaction would be to try to loosen it and slide it or spin it to where you could get a welder to it thru the air box door. A good pipe welder can do wonders with a little room or movement.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:48 am 

A big question is why is this happening? Is the manifold corroded and thin, or are the leaks developing at the saddle gaskets because the manifolds are vibrating? Water leaks on right bank water manifolds of 16-cylinder 567C and later EMD engines are often an indicator of vibration problems in the engine.

PC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:22 pm 

We've removed the manifold on a 645, not because of water leaks, but because of oil leaks where the manifold line goes through the end of the airbox. It was blowing out oily air, loosing air box pressure and making a mess.

Yes, we removed stuff off the front of the engine and slid the manifold back, but I don't recall if we removed it completely. I'd have to jog my memory for a bit.

Eric

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:24 am 

Yes, the pipes are getting thin from lack of cooling water treatment. Modern treatments are less environmentally dangerous than the chromate treatment of the old days. But I imagine you're not suppose to drain treated water on the ground anymore, regardless. Once you start having to add water all the time, there is less incentive to keep up with the treatment. Which makes the problem worse.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:00 am 

When it comes to water treatment, keeping up on it is a must. We use a certain brand that turns the water pink, a bright pink color is properly treated. Any less, you probably should add a bag. However the treatment gets “pale” after use. So use your best judgement. The treatment has corrosion inhibitors and water pump lube in it, which is why we believe it is 100% necessary.

When it comes to dumping water, it happens. Guru valves are set to 32-40 degrees depending on the region. When it gets that cold the device will drop out and just let all the water out, to be dumped wherever it lands.

As to answer the question. You can do that on a 645 without pulling a lot of junk off. However, be careful, getting those to seal back up can be a b****.