It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Talgo cars up for auction
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:40 pm 

I don't want to post every time something comes up for auction but this seemed notable.

Amtrak is auctioning off 28 Talgo series 6 cars. Two are located in Seattle and were involved in a low speed accident. The rest are located at Beech Grove. Bidding is due September 30th, 2022.

I have pictures that Amtrak sent but the forum is a pain in the butt for attachments. If you want them please reach out to Amtrak or PM me your email address and I'll forward them.

Attachments:
2022-98 Exhibit D Material and Pricing Schedule.xlsx [12.07 KiB]
Downloaded 368 times

Post subject: Re: Talgo cars up for auction
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:09 pm 

Emmo213 wrote:
I have pictures that Amtrak sent but the forum is a pain in the butt for attachments. If you want them please reach out to Amtrak or PM me your email address and I'll forward them.

Yeah, the whole "browse, add file" thing is really tricky.

C.

https://urbanmilwaukee.com/2019/11/07/d ... -sit-idle/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsjA0D2omzM

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:57 pm 

The problem for many is the file size. You take a picture with a modern mobile phone, and already the default file size is too large. You must be knowledgeable and have the tool/app to make a reduced file size version, before uploading.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:09 am 

twofoot wrote:
Yeah, the whole "browse, add file" thing is really tricky.

C.

First the file format was incorrect, then the size was too large, so I said screw it. I know how to but wasn't going to spend the time to convert each picture unless somebody actually wanted them.

I'm sure you think you're very funny though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:16 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
The odds that any of these will be "preserved" are likely slim to none, and slim left the station days ago.

It would be extraordinarily difficult to rationalize the preservation of even a Washington Cascades Talgo, never mind an abortive one in Wisconsin. They were oddballs mechanically, they were arguably "failures" commercially/mechanically, and their reputation was badly marred by a fatal crash. This is pretty much the same sort of reasoning why we don't have a UA Turbo or RTG preserved, why even the Talgo/Aerotrains preserved are off on back tracks at the moment, and only one Metroliner was saved.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:19 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
The odds that any of these will be "preserved" are likely slim to none, and slim left the station days ago.

It would be extraordinarily difficult to rationalize the preservation of even a Washington Cascades Talgo, never mind an abortive one in Wisconsin. They were oddballs mechanically, they were arguably "failures" commercially/mechanically, and their reputation was badly marred by a fatal crash. This is pretty much the same sort of reasoning why we don't have a UA Turbo or RTG preserved, why even the Talgo/Aerotrains preserved are off on back tracks at the moment, and only one Metroliner was saved.

The Wisconsin Talgos have, in fact, arrived as of this week to where they will finally enter service, in Nigeria: https://twitter.com/gbenga_omo/status/1574796739575422976

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:21 am 

softwerkslex wrote:
The problem for many is the file size. You take a picture with a modern mobile phone, and already the default file size is too large. You must be knowledgeable and have the tool/app to make a reduced file size version, before uploading.

GIMP or Graphic Image Manipulation Program, an open source solution makes this easy.

https://www.gimp.org/

Open File
Go to the Image Selection in the main menu
About half way down, scale image.

Play with it a bit, you'll see what happens when you change the x and y axes (I suggest you keep the aspect ratio locked) and then the image quality when you export the file.

Photography and graphics aren't my thing and I figured it out.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:02 am 

If the Constitution Liner auction was any guide, there might be decided bargains for a museum interested in a sample consist.

Does the old Amtrak prohibition against operation of equipment they sell or donate (for potential liability concerns) apply to these cars?

I am not sure about the percentage of aluminum in these cars. That construction was the death sentence of both the original M-10000-style motor trains and the UA Turbotrains. Stainless, apparently, costs more to scrap than the effort is worth...