It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for Updates on some CNR / CPR engines
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:47 am 

Hi All,
Just wondering if anyone can provide any current information on the following former Canadian National / Canadian Pacific engines:

CNR 1395 - this engine has been sitting on a siding for decades. Does the Coopersville and Marne own it or is it privately owned? Is there any intention of restoring it cosmetically or operationally?
CNR 92 - from what I've read, this engine hasn't operating since 1972. Is there any intention of fixing this engine up one way or the other?
CNR 91 - most recently run circa 2004, does the M & H intend to bring her back any time soon?
CPR 1057 - I believe this engine was sidelined due to some firebox repairs a few years ago on the South Simcoe.
CPR 136 - I read South Simcoe has recently done some work on this engine but was wondering how close it is to returning to operation. Is it still privately owned?
CPR 5361 - I have heard the engine was sold a couple of years ago but it hasn't moved and may be going up for sale again. Would anyone know the current status?
CPR 1238 and 1286 - currently at the Prairie Dog Central in Manitoba. Bought from the Virginia Central some years back.

I imagine some may be "awaiting funds" but are any of them anywhere near the top of the list for seeing a wrench or paintbrush in the near future?

I haven't seen any news for some time so wanted to check in with anyone who might be closer to these railroads who might know the current status.

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Looking for Updates on some CNR / CPR engines
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:14 pm 

Jason Whiteley wrote:
Hi All,

CNR 91 - most recently run circa 2004, does the M & H intend to bring her back any time soon?

MIDH #91 has its own facebook page https://www.facebook.com/MIDH91 , two years ago they posted this:

"Middletown & Hummelstown Railroad Steam Locomotive
May 27, 2020

Hello to all of our followers and thank you for your interest in the M&H steam locomotive #91.
It has been some time since our last post but we have been happy to see the number of people following our engine. Our increased following may be one of the bright spots resulting from our staying at home!
Work on #91 has taken a back burner to more immediate needs.
While ridership on the entire tourist rail industry has taken a massive hit, the clear mainline has let us focus our weekend efforts outdoors on track maintenance and (we hope) placement of the station signs along the right of way.
We are always looking for volunteers; there is a job for every skill set. Even small progress by somebody working alone is still progress."

In May of this year they re-posted this interesting post:

"Middletown & Hummelstown Railroad Steam Locomotive
May 13 2022·
This is a very clear discussion of the reality that faces any steam locomotive operation.
I would add that not only do ticket sales *not* cover the costs, but chasing a engine for free photos without sending a donation helps guarantee fewer engines will run.
How many people send the cost of a ride to the organizers of a run saying "I'll be enjoying/photographing your efforts from along the ROW, but let me still cover my 'seat' "
Joseph Darrel CasonAmerican Steam Locomotive Restoration Projects
May 12 ·
0:00 / 3:23
Nevada Northern Railway
May 8 ·
We love the steam locomotives but operating a steam locomotive in the 21st century is very expensive. One of the bigger expenses is coal. The video shows us getting 26-tons of coal. The tenders of Locomotives 81 and 93 hold 12 tons of coal each. In other words that load will fill each tender ONCE!
This is how the numbers break down. When either Locomotives 81 or 93 make the 14-mile round trip to Keystone, they will burn around 2,500 pounds of coal, just over a ton for the one trip. Our steam schedule starting May 27 is three trips on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. That’s twelve trips per week that will burn 30,000 pounds or about 2/3 of the load in the video.
And having coal on hand is just part of the equation. First off, just lighting a steam locomotive and bringing it to pressure costs about $2,000. Then we figure for every hour a steam locomotive is pressurized, we pick up three hours of maintenance. In the example above, one of the steam locomotives will be lit off on Friday morning and will remain under pressure until Monday. Those four days of operation, create 12 days of maintenance.
The simple fact of the matter is that operating a 19th century technology in the 21st century is very expensive and ticket sales alone will not cover the cost of operating a steam locomotive. So how can we afford operating steam locomotives in the most remote city in the contiguous United States? Our secret is our members. The Nevada Northern Railway Museum has members in every state of the union and eleven foreign countries.
May is National Historic Preservation Month. Along with the National Trust for Historic Preservation, our theme is People Saving Places.
The Nevada Northern Railway National Historic Landmark only exists today because of the support of our members, a fine example of People Saving Places."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:18 pm 

136 still not returned to operation on South Simcoe Ry.
1057 at SSR hasn't run in decades.
Both still belong to Ontario Rail Foundation.

1238 1286 returned to Canada. Still stored pending decisions.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:13 pm 

Jason Whiteley wrote:
CNR 1395 - this engine has been sitting on a siding for decades. Does the Coopersville and Marne own it or is it privately owned? Is there any intention of restoring it cosmetically or operationally?

Privately owned. Owner reportedly has no plans for it, or wants to sell.