It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Strasburg Rail Road names new general manager
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:36 pm 

jayrod wrote:
Not cool to post that on many different levels.

Why? Everyone was happy to talk about someone else getting jail time for their crimes in the rail industry. Should another organization fall prey to a nefarious individual?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:51 pm 

InterlockingTower wrote:
jayrod wrote:

Why? Everyone was happy to talk about someone else getting jail time for their crimes in the rail industry. Should another organization fall prey to a nefarious individual?

Unless there’s an official public statement from either SRR, law enforcement or the court system, it’s unsubstantiated hearsay. JR’s jail time and shenanigans leading up to it is public, published knowledge.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:52 pm 

InterlockingTower wrote:
jayrod wrote:

Same rules applied to the jail time threads. It just takes time for the moderators to catch up with these "lively" threads and specific posts.

Wesley

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:59 pm 

A quick note from your moderator. Let's talk about moderating posts about specific individuals and making accusations.

Please do not post accusations about individuals. Saying Joe Doe stole money from XYZ railroad is a very serious accusation and if there is no law enforcement action or official statement from XYZ railroad the accusation is nothing more than hearsay. Hearsay will get reported and moderated.

If Joe Doe is arrested it's news, and discussion about the charges and the impact of the crime are relevant and would be left unmoderated. Kicking Joe Doe when he is down will get your post moderated. If the allegation is embezzlement, I would suggest using "accused embezzler" until such time as there is a conviction. Suppose there is a conviction, that's news, a post about the conviction will not get moderated. Discussion about the impact of the crime would be fine. Posts gloating about the conviction, jail, and other assorted kicking someone when they're down will be moderated, let's leave those to platforms like Facebook.

I hope this is not too much to ask.

Tom Gears

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:02 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
tomgears wrote:
A quick note from your moderator. Let's talk about moderating posts about specific individuals and making accusations.

*snip*

I hope this is not too much to ask.

Tom Gears

Thank you. Spares me from having to drag out the ol' Libel Manuals.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:38 am 

Dan Cupper has written a very nice article, dated September 23, 2022, about Mr. Hager for Trains:
New Strasburg GM packs experience, skills

Mr. Cupper's article includes this description of what happened to the railroad:
Quote:
He faces a tall task of rebuilding at Strasburg, which has seen a series of unplanned leadership changes and staff departures since 2018. The stable, 18-year presidency of Linn Moedinger (who had 51 years on the railroad) ended when he retired in December 2018. Moedinger’s groomed successor, longtime SRC employee Craig Lefever, died of cancer at age 52 when he was only six months into his term.

Lefever was followed in late 2019 by Tony Gebbia, previously an event planner at Florida’s Walt Disney World who brought some of the culinary and theatrical flourishes of that industry to SRC. His term was marked by what one former employee described as “heavy-handed personnel policies,” and the elimination of pay raises. Personnel in several departments soon left for Reading & Northern, East Broad Top, Amtrak, and non-railroad employment. Financial and personnel issues also surfaced, and Gebbia departed abruptly last spring.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:40 am 

All I know is that during Gebbia's reign at SRC, full time employees saw a -highly- significant turnover rate. That's not a good sign. Company reviews on Glassdoor over that time period are pretty scathing as well.

I hope the sailing smooths out for SRC under this new leadership.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:10 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Boilermaker wrote:
All I know is that during Gebbia's reign at SRC, full time employees saw a -highly- significant turnover rate. That's not a good sign. Company reviews on Glassdoor over that time period are pretty scathing as well.

I can't say anything specific about Strasburg's situation, but I did see another seemingly similar situation around here where a furniture and cabinetry company, noted for high-quality work by what were essentially craftsmen, got a new manager that pushed for higher production numbers and speed, more commissions and contracts, and faster installation by the cabinet installers. Supposedly a bunch of guys were fired for being "too slow"; this cascaded into others quitting in support of the guys who "did the job right"........

I think I saw that business shuttered a short while ago...........

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:10 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
Boilermaker wrote:

I can't say anything specific about Strasburg's situation, but I did see another seemingly similar situation around here where a furniture and cabinetry company, noted for high-quality work by what were essentially craftsmen, got a new manager that pushed for higher production numbers and speed, more commissions and contracts, and faster installation by the cabinet installers. Supposedly a bunch of guys were fired for being "too slow"; this cascaded into others quitting in support of the guys who "did the job right"........

I think I saw that business shuttered a short while ago...........

And now we have PSR on the Class 1 carriers doing the same things.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:50 pm 

“ His term was marked by what one former employee described as “heavy-handed personnel policies,” and the elimination of pay raises.”

Perhaps that’s what the board requested of him?

Bob Chapek (CEO of Disney) is not a favorite with Disney employees or long term fans but he’s a favorite of the board and shareholders.

Personally…. I feel like Strasburg is leaning too heavy on “entertainment” like murder mysteries. They also added pre-recorded audio which is very Disney but takes away from a strasburg tradition (I’d love the option of a non-narrated car personally…. The hello Dolly platform is close enough :)

So I’m not a fan of this guy necessarily, but I also think he may have been a good manager and wasn’t given the right chance.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:41 am 

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
So I’m not a fan of this guy necessarily, but I also think he may have been a good manager and wasn’t given the right chance.

Trust me, that wasn't the case.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:38 am 

There's a posting on Trains.com news that mentions "financial and personnel issues" that lead up to his departure.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:18 pm 

If there is something Jim doesn't know about short line railroading it is probably not worth knowing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:29 pm 

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
Personally…. I feel like Strasburg is leaning too heavy on “entertainment” like murder mysteries. They also added pre-recorded audio which is very Disney but takes away from a strasburg tradition (I’d love the option of a non-narrated car personally…. The hello Dolly platform is close enough :)

I second this. I could do without the theatrical performances and the "mascots" bears that now roam the platform. It makes it seem like a cheap attraction based on gimmicks rather than an experience of being around operating historic rail equipment.

The pre-recorded audio takes away from the intimacy of riding the train. Having a staff member narrate in real time made it feel like a shared experience, not just a "routine production".

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:40 pm 

I remember when the conductor (who might have been one of the 23 Vice-Presidents) personally made the announcements in each car, no amplification.

Of course the train had 3 cars and it was the 1960's.

Phil Mulligan

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next