It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Peter Smith Heater
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 1999 8:52 pm 

I was reading a description of an interurban car built for Texas Traction in about 1910 by American Car Company. <p> "The heating is furnished from a forced-ventilation system of the Peter Smith type, the heater being placed in the smoking compartment behind the motorman's cab and arranged to be removed in the summer and a seat substituted."<p>The accompanying photograph shows a smokestack in the position of the heater, so I'll assume it's a coal heater. I am wondering if anyone knows of an existing Peter Smith forced-ventilation heater in an interurban or railroad car, or documentation of the same.<p>Thanks.<p>Andy Nold<br>noldta@c-b.com<br>

noldta@c-b.com

Post subject: Re: Peter Smith Heater
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 1999 1:59 am 

There is a nice picture in my 1911 electric car dictionary. It is an upright sheet metal box with a firedoor and ash pan door on the front, and a stovepipe coming out the rear top. Draft adjustments shown at the ash pan door and stovepipe. An electric blower motor mounts to the top in front of the stovepipe. It appars air is forced around some interior cast iron coal burning stove, heated between the stove and the sheet metal box, and exits towards the bottom. No idea of ducts were commonly used under the car or if hot air was just vented into the car. <p>Dave <br>

lathro19@idt.net

Post subject: Re: Peter Smith Heater
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 1999 11:23 pm 

The Chicago & West Towns Railways double truck streetcars used these kind of stoves and vented the warm air through ducts into all parts of the car. Generally, tho, in small cars, the warm air was just vented directly into the car.<br>

jftrolley@aol.com