It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The new D&H Book from GPCo
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:03 pm 

I may be a bit biased since the author is a friend and I did some proof reading of it for him, but I wanted to share a link to a recent book release that those with an interest in the Northeast railroading scene of the past 60 years need a copy of: Delaware & Hudson: The Final Years, 1968 to 1991.

https://store.garbelypublishing.com/delawarehudson/

Being a Conrail guy, I find the D&H a fascinating subject given its "independence" and supposedly competitive nature to my beloved Big Blue.

Rudy's book provides an in-depth look into what was going on with the D&H from the merger mania of the 60s through its demise in 1991. If you've ever wondered "why DID they have PAs?" or "What was with those mixed up looking D&H consists on the NEC in DC?", it'll give you all the answers you want.

Additionally, it'll also help explain the context and inner workings of northeastern railroading during a period that is incredibly important to understand as a background for things going on in the current world, which is, after all, the real purpose of studying history.

And most importantly, it does this all while reminding us that this was all done by people. Not faceless companies, but actual human beings who were responsible for the decisions and execution of those decisions. Hayes Watkins' recent passing is a stark reminder that many of those people are vanishing from the scene, taking their knowledge with them. Books like this are important because they preserve that knowledge.

Anyway, if you're inclined, please check it out.

Post subject: Re: The new D&H Book from GPCo
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:19 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Railfans over the years got too used to the cliche of "$40/$50/$60 slide show" railfan photo albums.

This is not that book.

With the quantitative interviews of top officials in the story, is is more like lavishly illustrated and expanded chapters of Loving's "The Men Who Loved Trains" or McClellan's "My Life With Trains." Think also of Frailey's "Twilight of the Great Trains."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:44 pm 

Yep.

And don't get me wrong, it's got some great photos in it too, but yes the text that makes it worth it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:23 pm 

Got mine the other day. This is an excellent book and worth every penny!

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:50 pm 

I went to the Albany model train show yesterday (I go to those sort of things more to peruse the rare book selection than anything else) and spotted a copy of this and grabbed it up. I managed to work my way through a large portion of it after getting home, and it's definitely impressive. Highly recommend it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:59 pm 

There is a copy on eBay at list price. I'm on the waiting list for the reprint in 2023, or I'd buy it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:30 pm 

The book is excellent! Even without the photos, it's interviews and history of more recent history is well done. It is highly recommended. I am glad I got a copy when I did.

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."