It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nickel Plated Museum, Conneaut Ohio
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:08 pm 

I've made several trips to the Conneaut Railroad Museum in nearby Conneaut Ohio in recent years. Even days when they aren't open, just to have the company of Nickel Plate Road S2 2-8-4 Berkshire no. 755, as CSX and Norfolk Southern pass through. I first discovered this museum in 2004 when I visited Conneaut for a behind the scenes tour of the P&C Dock Company. I first visited the museum in 2008. And began to frequently visit the museum in 2015.

I cannot speak higher words of praise for one of the best Railroad museums in the Rust Belt. This museum, founded in the 1960's has done an incredible job of maintaining and displaying its collection. They recently redid their lighted display of the Nickel Plate Road's system map. The 755 has been well maintained and was repainted in 2019. They also display a refurbished Bessemer and Lake Erie caboose and hopper car. The primary focus of this museum is the Nickel Plate Road, the Bessemer and Lake Erie, the P&C Docks, and the New York Central. The cab of the 755 is in pristine condition, with mannequins posing as the Engineer and Fireman. 755, built in August of 1944, is the oldest of the six preserved Nickel Plate Road Berkshires.

The Nickel Plate Road choose Conneaut as the site of a major locomotive terminal. These facilities would include two roundhouses that performed Class 3 repairs. It was the site of the restoration of Nickel Plate Road 759 in 1968. It was a Conneaut Resident, George Hulett, who invented the steam operated Hulett system to load and unload commodities on Great Lakes Ports, namely Coal and Iron Ore. Lost to history were plans by Andrew Carnegie and late Edgar Speer to construct a massive Steel plant east of Conneaut. And in 1953, three trains on the Central piled up east of town killing nearly two dozen people. This destroyed a large portion of the Central's E7 fleet and necessitated the return to service of several Hudson's. There is an incredible amount of railroading history in Conneaut and I highly recommend a visit to everyone in our community.

Attachments:
IMG_0529.jpg
IMG_0529.jpg [ 37.27 KiB | Viewed 1795 times ]

Post subject: Re: Nickel Plated Museum, Conneaut Ohio
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:28 am 

100% accurate report! The Berkshire is loved and tended to by a squad of older women who brush it off, touch it up, and keep it in immaculate shape. They profess to, and sincerely do, love their locomotive! The museum is in a very pleasant family neighborhood and nobody ignores people stopping by the park. The neighbors keep a watchful eye on the building and outdoor exhibits. The indoor exhibits will cause any steam lover's heart to pump a little faster, and again, something every NKP or steam fan, should make time to visit. I doubt 755 will ever leave that park, but she's in wonderful hands for right now.
If you are on a steam safari between Hamburg, NY or Niagara Falls, Ontario, remember Conneaut, Ohio is not far from your tour. And while you're at it, go down and check out Rick Rowland's museum. They aren't that far away from each other.

Post subject: Re: Nickel Plated Museum, Conneaut Ohio
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:28 pm 

Conneaut is a very well kept small museum. It is one of these museums that at one time had a sizable base of support from rail enthusiasts, but as they died off the museum has become more of a civic function run by local people and retirees. The Greenville Railroad Park is pretty much in the same situation with only about one person left there who actually has a railroading background. Conneaut was the first rail museum that I ever visited, and there is something special about going there and seeing a place that has changed very little since that time.

Go both ways along the NYC main and you will encounter other rail museums in stately brickLS&MS depots. In North East, PA is the Lakeshore Railway Museum with their unparallelled collection of GE locomotives and go west to Painesville and you will find the Painesville Railroad Museum, a recent startup that is also worth a visit.