It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winton 201A "modern" era engine maintenance manuals
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:59 am 

Just sharing some information I provided to a friend about Winton 201A engine manuals.

EMD did a very small run of reprints of the 8-201A engine maintenance manual in the early 1980s when there was talk of having the Flying Yankee substitute for the Pioneer Zephyr to make a 50th Anniversary tour. The print run was about 15 books, and they are really rare. The proposed project eventually crashed and burned. The manuals are the only remaining reminder of it.

Probably the smallest print run of EMD manuals that I know of. Even the manuals for the twin 6-71 Detroit Diesel replacement power unit for gas-electric cars are more common.

PC

Post subject: Re: Winton 201A "modern" era engine maintenance manuals
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:03 pm 

I believe the Victorian Railways DERM EMC railcars got the twin 671 power plants to replace the original Winton gas engines.

For those not familiar with truck (or MOW) diesels, a Detroit 671 is an inline 6 cylinder engine with 71 cubic inch displacement per cylinder. Total displacement of a 671 is 426 cid. Yes, that's the same as a MOPAR Hemi V-8 in a Plymouth Roadrunner. The 671 won't go as fast and the Hemi won't last as long.

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:04 am 

They are also 2 strokes, so they act more like 2x their displacement. The 6-71 turbocharged engines crank out close to 300 horsepower, they have a throttle response like a jackrabbit on crack, and are world renowned for the intense sound they make while doing it all. It's a real treat to run a 16v71 at 1800 RPM under load!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:03 am 

The 6-71 if not turbocharged has another name the 238 or Gutless wonder in the OTR industry. They also have the name of Drag and Fly as in Drag up the Hill and FLY DOWN THE Other side. The 318 which was based off the 6-92 series was called the Oil patch. You literally had to fill up the oil at every fuel stop you made. Drove one for 3 years and every 400 to 500 miles would need between 3-4 gallons of oil for it even fresh out of an overhaul. You had to drive mad at both of them or we called it Slam your hand in the door and at like your GF or wife was banging someone else.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:06 pm 

ironeagle2006 wrote:
The 318 which was based off the 6-92 series was called the Oil patch.

Every 318 we owned was an 8V71 .....

Tim W.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:20 pm 

I thought the 318s were 8V71s with the 65mm injectors to make 318 indicated horsepower.

6V92TA is 335hp@2100rpm. Even the simple 6V92T was 322.

If I remember correctly, the 8V92s in the SPV2000s developed better horsepower because they had no parasitic loads: the Lister-Petter driving the APU handled all the service and hotel loads -- which would have been a really, really good idea if they had designed adequate cooling for the APU...

(I had been told the APU was a "4-92" using as many as possible common parts with the main engines, but it appears there was never any such thing as a GM-built 4V92 and unsurprisingly there are reasons not to make them...)

Last edited by Overmod on Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:32 pm 

There was a 318 in the OTR industry that was a straight 6-92 basically a half of a V12-92 engine. The problem was the block leaked like a sieve around the airbox the crankshaft seals had the life expectancy of a wet tissue in water. They where gutless in pulling power.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:41 pm 

A few questions about the "modern" 201A manuals:

Do they contain any updated information superseding what was published in the first manuals?

Is their status as reprint noted somewhere in the manual?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:35 pm 

Tom, My recollection is that the small number that were printed included some updates and corrections from the GSB (General Service Bulletin) files, and were fitted with a more modern front page with date. They were also not bound like the originals, which had 3-ring punch pages in heavy embossed covers, retained by brass split pins through brass grommets in the cover stock. The reprints had plastic comb bindings, EMD had plenty of equipment to do that type of binding.

I also do not know the printing technique employed. It was just prior to common use of desktop publishing software. An original that had been corrected with white-out and overtyping (or given a few new pages) may have just been run repeatedly through a copier (which were in common use then).

Depending on who they approached at EMD in the early 1980s, the process of getting a very few reprints made could have been quite simple. Public Relations and/or Service Department Technical Engineer handling the engines would have processed the request, the Publications Managers Office was the next one down the corridor on the 3rd floor. If there was a need for Service Department management approval, it would have gone to the Assistant General Service Manager, who was a well known model railroad hobbyist who also wrote articles for Trains Magazine.

Amazing that in a process path like this with known model railroaders and railroad enthusiasts involved, I don't know of any times that preservation organizations approached them about doing a talk at an event. EMD provided speakers for many local area community and business organization events. If they could not let a Service or Sales Department manager do a talk, they could have made the Assistant Director of Public Relations available, who did many such programs regularly. EMD actually gave NMRA convention attendees tours of the plant in the 1970s.

PC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:57 pm 

Pegasuspinto wrote:
They are also 2 strokes, so they act more like 2x their displacement. The 6-71 turbocharged engines crank out close to 300 horsepower, they have a throttle response like a jackrabbit on crack, and are world renowned for the intense sound they make while doing it all. It's a real treat to run a 16v71 at 1800 RPM under load!

When I got into the trucking in 1986, my employer had a small group of 1974 IH 2070 single axles with 6-71 power. When I was not needed in the parts department, I would go help on the shop floor, and helping our senior tech overhaul some of those 6-71's were the first diesels I ever worked on. At one time I even knew how how to set the valves and injectors, but that knowledge is LONG gone. I think we STILL have some of the special tools for them in our tool crib.