It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The best old footage I’ve ever seen
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:30 am 

A bit different from your typical post here. This one is about film that I’ve seen on youtube. I don’t know who posted this or where this film comes from (I assume a series of some kind I would appreciate to find the original filmmaker and his work), but this might be the most crisp, pristine film I’ve ever seen. And with live sound to boot. I question if anyone went back in time to record this.

https://youtu.be/4yxSHWWpmeU

Worth the watch. And again, if anyone knows who this came from originally, I’d be very happy to know.

Post subject: Re: The best old footage I’ve ever seen
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:03 am 

Spectacular. 1953 maybe? Excellent photography, he probably was a professional cinematographer. I agree it's the best I've ever seen too. Thanks for posting. Ned

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:55 pm 

My God, we'll all be killed! Jointed rail, solid bearings and roofwalks. What were they thinking? Spectacular film!
I've seen that before and for the life of me can't remember where. Another old age perk.
I lost the web site of numerous outtakes from the 20s-30s with real sound that is on the web. I'm sure someone here remembers it.
I have looked for years of a Fox Movietone News in sound recorded on the Frisco back in about November '28 featuring the Volatone air horns they were installing on some steam engines because suburbanites were complaining about the steam whistls. The movie supposedly demonstrated the difference. It was written up in the Frisco employee magazine.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:43 pm 

I think it was done by Pentrex. I don't have that one and it's amazing to see the P&LE 2-8-4's in action.

Kevin Kohls

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:43 pm 

Frisco1522 wrote:
My God, we'll all be killed! Jointed rail, solid bearings and roofwalks. What were they thinking?
From back when railroaders weren't afraid to railroad.

Thanks for sharing that footage, something that clear, sharp, and well exposed, and with actual sound to boot is like finding the lost ark in that warehouse!

What will come next? Footage of HotWater giving Ed Dickens a compliment?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:06 pm 

The Mohawk that refused to abdicate would be proud. Looks like the last hurrah of NYC steam maybe 1955?

Did you see the conductor going onto the rear steps at 8:12? Looks like he's expecting train orders coming off the branch at Valley Junction.

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:09 pm 

I showed this video from a post a while back. I heard it's a DVD that Machines of Iron is currently working on. If you had seen at the beginning of the video, we see a brief scene of B&O EM-1 on pusher duty and only a short segment of what was supposed to be seen next on the Reading Railroad. I don't know what progress was made on this DVD. I would suggest contacting Machines of Iron for more information.

Alec

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:52 pm 

This looks to be from 16mm film by Fred McLeod
(sp?) who shot many railroads with sound recorded on the actual film. He sold prints of his film to rail fans back in the 1950-s-60's.
We have used some of it in our productions on PRR, N&W and B&O.

-Jim Herron, Herron Rail Video

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:29 pm 

Frisco1522 wrote:
I lost the web site of numerous outtakes from the 20s-30s with real sound that is on the web. I'm sure someone here remembers it.
I have looked for years of a Fox Movietone News in sound recorded on the Frisco back in about November '28 featuring the Volatone air horns they were installing on some steam engines because suburbanites were complaining about the steam whistls. The movie supposedly demonstrated the difference. It was written up in the Frisco employee magazine.
Try https://digital.library.sc.edu/collections/fox-movietone-news-collection/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:41 pm 

Location: Granby, CT but formerly Port Jefferson, NY (LIRR MP 57.5)
What a neat video! Thanks for sharing.

For what it's worth, this is Valley Junction today: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1695724,-84.7758197,3a,75y,90h,103.73t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sR6fDZQtdxABAEy2Qvt8kJw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

-Philip Marshall