It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Southeastern Railway Museum seeks Executive Director
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:06 pm 

The Southeastern Railway Museum seeks an Executive Director to lead the Southeastern Railway Museum, Georgia’s Official Transportation History Museum. Now in its 52nd year, the Museum’s mission is to provide an educational atmosphere that vividly brings to life the cultural, technical, and historical importance of transportation to our region.

This position reports to and coordinates with a dedicated volunteer board of directors. The board seeks someone with passion for the Museum’s mission who will provide an enjoyable and meaningful experience for each visitor or those who participate in its programs and outreach services.

One of the great opportunities for the Museum’s new leader will be to make and keep the Museum’s mission relevant to changing demographics. With a large team of volunteers and staff to restore, display, operate, and maintain about 100 pieces of railway rolling stock in addition to other artifacts, the Museum offers an interactive and tangible look into our region’s rich transportation history.

For those interested in learning more, a position description may be found here:
https://columnsfundraising.com/wp-conte ... iption.pdf

Applications may be submitted here:
https://airtable.com/shrDf8qjdSLBaO4oO

Post subject: Re: Southeastern Railway Museum seeks Executive Director
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:59 pm 

Ya'll should just open a Chik fil A!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:57 pm 

Ok guys.

If you think you know how to run a museum, now's your chance!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:44 am 

Out of curiosity, I looked at the qualifications. I was surprised to see that a master's degree is preferred. If you can afford someone with a masters degree, I would assume you are paying too much for this position.

Other organizations of similar size don't seem to have that type of person running them.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:14 pm 

Quote:
Out of curiosity, I looked at the qualifications. I was surprised to see that a master's degree is preferred. If you can afford someone with a masters degree, I would assume you are paying too much for this position.

Other organizations of similar size don't seem to have that type of person running them.

Our new ED at National Capital Trolley Museum has her masters degree. We are paying a competitive salary with benefits.

Wesley

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:26 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
DavidKaplan wrote:

The cynical would suggest that, with the higher-education "bubble" of grade inflation and "soft expectations" about to burst nationwide, the term "Master's is the new Bachelor's" may apply. We're in an era when governments want a Masters of Library Science to be a librarian--not a top administrator or policy maker, just a front desk position..............

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:20 pm 

Our organization is too small to accommodate a paid ED though I’ve worked with a few EDs elsewhere in the past. My take is that if your organization is large enough and/or flush enough to support a good, paid ED that can hurd cats and believes in your mission, they can be quite the benefit. On the flip side, I’ve also seen a few failures that had no solid understanding of the organization’s overall mission and how best to further it let alone manage the day to day business. Experience and passion matters more than a masters degree, methinks.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:02 pm 

Ed Kapuscinski wrote:
If you think you know how to run a museum, now's your chance!

I am not qualified but I hope they get someone really good! It is already a very nice museum, but a good ED could take it to the next level -- Spencer and Golden show what's possible for a museum in the suburbs of a big city.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:01 am 

Quote:
On the flip side, I’ve also seen a few failures that had no solid understanding of the organization’s overall mission and how best to further it let alone manage the day to day business. Experience and passion matters more than a masters degree, methinks.

At National Capital Trolley Museum, we spent a lot of time on out strategic plan before we hired the new ED. With board of trustees approval of the plan we were in solid footing for the direction we wanted the ED and the Museum to go.

Regarding a masters degree, I personally learned a great deal about planning and leadership skills in the program I attend. In our new ED's case, her masters degree was in Museum Education and Childhood. Your mileage may vary - I agree experience and passion would be fine as well.

Wesley