It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Amtrak Turbo 59 - Rotting away in Dugger, Indiana
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:04 pm 

I’ve never heard of this specific carcass, however an instagram post piqued my interest regarding this unit. It seems as if it’s owned by an automotive scrap yard and has been there for quite some time, having been sold off before the failed turbo rebuild project. Has anyone contacted the owner of the shell? I’d think it’d be a unique piece to save..

https://www.instagram.com/p/CgjmY4-LgsR ... MyMTA2M2Y=

Post subject: Re: Amtrak Turbo 59 - Rotting away in Dugger, Indiana
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:38 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
If you use the search function at upper right correctly, you'll find that was first mentioned here in December 2001--OVER 20 YEARS AGO.

Post subject: Re: Amtrak Turbo 59 - Rotting away in Dugger, Indiana
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:11 pm 

It's a French RTG cab shell. I suspect it would suffer from the same general preservation ennui as the 100mph Leyland railbus from the Carter Administration, and the train of prototype Canadian LRC cars in being more significant to history than they are interesting exhibits for the general public...

A couple of the Turboliners still existed, on borrowed time as donated to first responders for practice on train fires or terrorist attacks.

I believe the one RTL-III or whatever it's called is still stored at Bear, and IT NEEDS TO BE PRESERVED. I have no contacts at Amtrak to figure out how to do that while ensuring Amtrak is held harmless from any liability for its future use -- the thing that led to so many AEM-7s being completely cut up for scrap rather than having their components 'parted out'.