It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Former DL&W Belford, Becoming the NS-99 Belford
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:26 pm 

Hello group,

Since this topic is underway on a couple other sites I figure I would link here for further discussion.

Ahead of the Torch
https://m.facebook.com/groups/AOTTORCH/permalink/5069415339853909/?sfnsn=mo&ref=share

Altoona Works
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02G32gitdCDeoxi88waFd3hbBYFGfCKs2MZy3YjyJVrrJ6qZmKHAuqASAhm6P2v3qZl&id=100063629887340&m_entstream_source=timeline&anchor_composer=false

Richard Shell (Contractor providing lettering work)
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid08SNJaMAjgMSoaSkChhvro9yvkEaUwSW6HngJd4tnqZWoyQpMTKmv4mVaqcYcz9mDl&id=1788114638&m_entstream_source=timeline

Post subject: Re: Former DL&W Belford, Becoming the NS-99 Belford
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:31 pm 

Interesting to see what happened to it. I looked at it when it was still at Station Square in Pittsburgh back in the late 80's. Tried to come up with a business plan to upgrade it and run on Amtrak between P'burgh and DC for businessmen, keep it during the week at Union Station like NS used to do with their business car, etc. But the costs were overwhelming, especially for an active duty Army officer as I was at the time. I did get in the car and it was still in very good condition, but I understand that it was later vandalized.
I think it had 4-axle trucks at the time, nice to see it with those wonderful 6-axles. They must have come off of that car that NS sold a couple of years ago that went truckless to its new owners.
Ned

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:07 pm 

Discussed here back in 2016: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39685

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:39 pm 

I had a very minor role in helping get "Belford" safely secured. Any non-Facebook link to the updated story?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:46 pm 

Richard Glueck wrote:
I had a very minor role in helping get "Belford" safely secured. Any non-Facebook link to the updated story?

Long story short? Belford is just about done and ready for service with the track geometry trains. Looks like it was converted as a gallery car of sorts... Rear wall to the observation platform has been replaced with glass.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:27 pm 

Note the raised dining room windows pre-rebuild. I understand DL&W and CNJ President Perry Shoemaker didn't like anyone looking in his dining room windows so he had them raised.

When EL came in the Erie President took the EL job and Shoemaker (and the car) went to CNJ.

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:53 am 

The "Belford 99" used to be owned by Peter Bell, a Washington, DC socialite who donated the car (or loaned it?) to the Smithsonian Institution in 1969. S. Dillion Ripley, the SI's Secretary used it to ferry himself from Connecticut to Washington for a time in the 1970s. I don't think the car was ever accessioned into the SI's transportation collections but was held as SI property. How it transitioned back into private ownership and ended up in Pittsburgh is unclear to me.

K.R. Bell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:19 pm 

Everybody wants to go to Pittsburgh.