It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vintage conductor bag?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:26 pm 

Back in the 30's, 40's and 50's did passenger conductors have a bag that they carried ticket inventory, supplies, etc in? What would it have looked like?

On our railroad, we have a bag that holds ticket inventory, first aid kit, perhaps a community ticket punch and other items but it is not an appropriate bag for a railroad museum.

An internet search doesn't turn up too much so I'm wondering what is in use at other museums and what was 'regularly used' back in the day?

Post subject: Re: Vintage conductor bag?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:54 pm 

I am 78 years old and when I was young, trainmen often carried a leather valise which was rectangular on the bottom, and zipped open at the top, with two carrying straps, one on each side of the zipper. Either that or a leather attache case on passenger trains.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:30 am 

I seem to remember from my youth my youth that near legendary John Bancroft and Buster Dey (Extra credit to anyone who knows who I'm talking about) had leather attache cases with the informal designation for the branch they worked embossed on the top.

GME

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:50 am 

I recall pre-Amtrak railroading.

Here on the West Coast I recall seeing the conductors using what is call a "Gladstone Bag." This being a leather case with a rectangular bottom; a top supported by a metal framework that opened wide.

This was large enough to carry all the supplies, tools, etc. needed to accomplish the requirements of the job. And in addition enough space to carry a set of spare undergarments and a clean white shirt.

Here is an image of a current such case made in the USA. Gladstone Duffel by J. W. Hulme.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:44 am 

Here is a railroad conductor's fiberboard grip case I have in my collection, full of timetables, receipts, notices and ordered left inside by a Baltimore and Ohio conductor.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:16 pm 

Great thread, I've often wondered this as well!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:29 pm 

I've watched my fair share of old heads getting on and off the caboose... and my now deceased neighbor was one of them. (he still had his when he died, got tossed out after his estate sale).
Pretty easy swing it and yourself up on the step of the moving caboose as your train was leaving town...compared to the unwieldly amount of cargo crews pack with them in their "bags" today. Two or 3 big bags, plus a backpack. I don't see why they need soooo much stuff, lol.

As late as the 1970's, this was what they were using.

Attachment:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG [ 1 MiB | Viewed 5453 times ]

There weren't any "Tuffbag" or "Red Oxx" soft sided, zipper encrusted bags, or backpacks or any of that newfangled stuff... just these old leather "grips". Everyone called it a "grip".

The engineer I fired with... he carried what amounted to an aluminum attache case... that's where he kept his vodka bottle... he like to have a screwdriver when we got to the hotel, lol.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:36 pm 

Here is my conductor's grip once used by an Illinois Central conductor on the Council Bluffs-Omaha line.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:59 pm 

That's your basic grip. Don't forget your lantern and your lunch.

But the original question was for passenger Conductors who had to lift and in some cases sell transportation. I believe Conductors' (and dining car Stewards') vests had a network of pockets for change, roll of bills, cash fare receipts, etc. The ticket punch had a belt holster.

On commuter jobs, some Conductors and Trainmen used metal changers, the same as trolley Conductors. An MU car is just a big trolley anyway.

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:49 pm 

EJ Berry wrote:
An MU car is just a big trolley anyway.
Phil Mulligan
And to New York Central employees ("Green Team"), the Pennsylvania RR's Main Line was the "Big Red Subway".

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:35 pm 

I believe Hal Carstens from Erie country in NJ called it that in Railroad Model Craftsman.

The NYC people had their own Big Green Subway going into GCT, and theirs looked a lot more like the IRT than PRR's tubes under the rivers.

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:00 pm 

"Big Red Subway" was used by John G. Kneiling, to refer to the frequency of tuscan red passenger trains on the New York to Philadelphia to Washington corridor. In the 40s-50s-60s, it was literally a train (of some sort) every few minutes: subway frequency.

Howard P.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:55 pm 

The NEC is even busier than it was in Kneiling's day. During Peak Hours, Amtrak is at capacity between Newark and Penn Station.

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:12 am 

Back then, additional trains were run out of Exchange Place in Jersey City. Now, a few run out of Hoboken.
It was a freight crew member who said that a watch wasn't needed on "The Big Red Subway" because the entire route was controlled by signals.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:46 am 

Right you are, Jim. Exchange Place was the old PRR ferry terminal in JC.

Phil Mulligan