It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Vintage conductor bag?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:34 pm 

Thanks all. It's apparent that we'll have to look for something the looks the part, even if it isn't exactly prototypical. That's fine as a vintage bag in daily use might be a target for a '5 finger discount'.

The JW Hume bags are very expensive, but they do look great. Perhaps a search for a used bag that has a bit of 'patina' would actually be preferable.

One thing of note: A few of you posted photos. I could see 2 of them, but the other 2 posters that said they posted an image only showed a non-clickable icon.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:41 pm 

Do an internet search for “Gladstone Duffle” and fair amount will pop up in wide price ranges. I used a soft duffle with a zipper top when we were running day excursions or overnights. It carried everything I might need and then some though it didn’t have a vintage look.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:24 am 

Old thread, I know. But maybe someone will need this info.
Coach Beekman Bag. For me, it captures the classic appeal and practical features I'm attracted to in conductor bags. It comes with a premium leather design, quality hardware, and thoughtful compartments.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:10 am 

FWIW, all shoulkd know that I did NOT author the above post dated today,12/27/2023 at 7:24 AM.

MODERATOR: PLEASE TAKE NOTE!!!

R. Paul Carey.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:23 pm 

The last old-school MD of my childhood used a leather "Gladstone" bag on house calls in/around the small prairie town we lived in. The exterior looked remarkably like one that belonged to an acquaintance's grandfather (who was a retired IC conductor).

I believe the interior of "Doc's" bag may have had some internal partitions the other lacked, but I am no longer certain of that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:41 am 

Back in the day, grips were handheld. They had to be durable and hold what you needed to bring. They had a handgrip but you couls toss it on a platform, then follow it up the steps.

Now it's a backpack. There are lots of them; get a rugged one with pockets. They have shoulder straps. Put on the straps, cinch the waistband and you have both hands free to grab something when needed.

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:09 am 

Class and style - two words that I like and search in every bag that I buy. And this leather garment bag from Von Baer has it. Very vintage-like. Its design is practical and has a good amount of storage space.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:55 pm 

On the Norfolk and Western passenger conductors carried their supplies in a shop-made metal box, known as a Conductor's box. They were personal, many I have seen have the conductor's name painted on the box lid.

They had a metal clipboard contained inside the metal lid held in place with clips on most. A metal tray divided up, then the bottom of the box.

Most seemed to be about 18-20 inches wide, 10-12 inches deep, and about 10 inches tall. Normally painted in the Tuscan Red.

My father, a freight conductor carried a soft-sided grip, where he carried his food, paperwork and time book.

Best
Ken Miller

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:06 am 

An employee carrying fusees and/or torpedoes must use a metal box for safety reasons.

Phil Mulligan