It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: It’s Actually Happening - RBM&N 425 & 2102 Doubleheader
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:05 pm 

PaulWWoodring wrote:
And it was good to see former LV Black Diamond in service again. I had the chance to be in it on Amtrak when I was an LSA. Very nice car then, as I'm sure it is once again. The owner back in the '80s was really nice, especially to the Amtrak people, since he might occasionally need a bag of ice from the lounge or similar. I can't remember his name, but I certainly would recognize it. Charles Kuralt did an On The Road story about him and the car in the early '80s.

Lehigh Valley 353 was not on this train. Unless something has changed, it is at Steamtown.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:53 pm 

GTW Dude wrote:
I attended yesterday because it was something I just couldn’t miss. I filled up a good bit of my bingo board but I didn’t get a bingo. Maybe it’s because I kind of avoided Jim Thorpe? But anyways, the crowd seemed really friendly except for maybe 1 or 2 guys, The photo line at Millers Crossing was incredible and I really didn’t see anybody put their life ‘at risk’ for a shot but maybe it’s because of where I decided to film. Overall, it was a pretty great experience and I absolutely loved it. Yeah there’s gonna be people bashing other railfans because it was a huge event with at least 300+ people chasing it and yes some of those guys decided to climb into a hopper car. But I was just absolutely blown away by the amount of courtesy each photographer had and the professionalism of the RBMN.

I think it was well worth the 10 hour drive from Michigan and I will be making a return to the RBMN hopefully in the near future. Almost everybody I talked to was very kind and helpful to one another and the RBMN was very laid back letting railfans take photos and watch.

Were my tips for following the R&N helpful?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:55 pm 

diningcartim wrote:
PaulWWoodring wrote:
And it was good to see former LV Black Diamond in service again. I had the chance to be in it on Amtrak when I was an LSA. Very nice car then, as I'm sure it is once again. The owner back in the '80s was really nice, especially to the Amtrak people, since he might occasionally need a bag of ice from the lounge or similar. I can't remember his name, but I certainly would recognize it. Charles Kuralt did an On The Road story about him and the car in the early '80s.

Lehigh Valley 353 was not on this train. Unless something has changed, it is at Steamtown.

Sorry, I saw the name Black Diamond on the tail obs car and thought that was it. I know 353 didn't have that name on it 30 years ago, but R&N has renamed and renumbered other cars to suit their operation.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:44 pm 

NJDixon wrote:
GTW Dude wrote:
I attended yesterday because it was something I just couldn’t miss. I filled up a good bit of my bingo board but I didn’t get a bingo. Maybe it’s because I kind of avoided Jim Thorpe? But anyways, the crowd seemed really friendly except for maybe 1 or 2 guys, The photo line at Millers Crossing was incredible and I really didn’t see anybody put their life ‘at risk’ for a shot but maybe it’s because of where I decided to film. Overall, it was a pretty great experience and I absolutely loved it. Yeah there’s gonna be people bashing other railfans because it was a huge event with at least 300+ people chasing it and yes some of those guys decided to climb into a hopper car. But I was just absolutely blown away by the amount of courtesy each photographer had and the professionalism of the RBMN.

I think it was well worth the 10 hour drive from Michigan and I will be making a return to the RBMN hopefully in the near future. Almost everybody I talked to was very kind and helpful to one another and the RBMN was very laid back letting railfans take photos and watch.

Were my tips for following the R&N helpful?

Are you kidding? They were more than helpful, thank you so much. I would have easily gotten lost had you never given me those directions. There were a few spots I had to miss because of the speed of the train and the enormous 300+ person traffic but it was pretty great. I absolutely fell in love with the RBMN after the chase. I went with my grandfather who had last seen the 2102 53 years ago in Port Huron Michigan when she was owned by Steam Tours and we just had to pose for a photo at the Port Clinton shops. Again, thank you.

(And also a huge special thanks to Andy Mueller for bringing the 2102 back to life!)

Attachments:
IMG_3033.jpeg
IMG_3033.jpeg [ 55.62 KiB | Viewed 1335 times ]
Inkedguess who's back.jpg
Inkedguess who's back.jpg [ 198.45 KiB | Viewed 1335 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:40 am 

Been chasing trains since 1983's last run of the GG1s. Still remember the guy standing in front of the photo line taking photos of the coupler at one of the station stops. I also got to chase the 2102 and 614 trips from Hoboken to Port Jervis back in the 1980s and 90s.

Chasing was out of the question as this line is tough to chase a freight on a regular day. I chose to set up just east of the junction at Hauck's. Figured it would be a good spot as the train would still be working hard up the grade.

I hiked in about an hour before train time. About 20 minutes before a group of chasers showed up and set up next to me. These younger folks were discussing how difficult it was getting ahead of the train with all the other chasing. They had chased from North Reading and had only gotten photos in one other spot below Port Clinton.

Five minutes before train time the cavalcade arrived but didn't have time to hike in to this specific spot.

I was not disappointed. From that location you can hear the train working hard up the grade several minutes prior to arrival. It was an awesome sight and experience to see this doubleheader.

Afterward I waited about 10 minutes for the protect engines to pass then hiked out.

I am very happy to have attended.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:51 pm 

And now this announcement:

"Take off this Friday and chase 2102 in revenue freight service. The locomotive will depart Port Clinton mid morning heading to Tamaqua, Reading, and beyond!"

2022 looks like The Year of 2102