It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: It’s Actually Happening - RBM&N 425 & 2102 Doubleheader
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:20 am 

Now, now let's not encourage any of that loose talk about speed limits. Hate to spoil the fun but we had a pilot engineer and a RFE in the cab with us on all 24 trips on NJT and got high marks from all concerned for the operation.

Of the 24 trips, 19 ran on time, 3 arrived back in Hoboken from 5 to 17 minutes early and 2 ran 17-22 minutes late into Hoboken.

With the 614 equipped with satellite tracking, a digital speedometer, event recorder and cab signals it would be impossible to exceed the 79 mph speed limit even if you wanted to.

Besides, 79 per is PLENTY fast enough. Trust me.

Thanks, Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:04 pm 

As far as running track speed on the R&N, the trips run on a schedule set by the passenger department. The running times on the trips to Jim Thorpe dictate keeping the speed to 25mph at best. Otherwise, the trip will get too far ahead of schedule. So, if you want track speed, better hope they get behind schedule and have to make up time.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:19 pm 

That rings true of my experience as a rider on the July 2nd. 2102 excursion. My guess is that the best we saw that day was about 30. However the sights and sounds of the locomotive working full out lifting those 19 cars up the 1.5% grades in both directions was plenty worth the price of admission.

I'm confident that the upcoming 425/2102 doubleheader will be spectacular.

Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:05 am 

mcgrath618 wrote:
JimBoylan wrote:
co614 wrote:
Most of the R&N's track is rated Class 3 which has a 45mph speed limit for passenger trains.
Ross Rowland
As of 7/15/22, Class 3 track was 60 m.p.h. for passenger. When did it get reduced?
https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-49/subtitle-B/chapter-II/part-213/subpart-A/section-213.9
(I haven't checked speed limits due to signals or lack of them, but they don't depend on track class.)
Mr. Rowland has quite a history of confusing track speeds...

While Brother Rowland may have erred, so did (and does) everybody here who believes that 49CFR213.9 sets the speed limit on any particular piece of track and that because this track is maintained to Class 3, 2102 could, or worse should, have been doing sixty miles per hour. 49CFR213.9 does not set the operating speed limit. It merely places a cap on it. The operating speed limit is set by the operating department of the railroad. Since I do not have a copy of the R&N's employee timetable I cannot readily check but is entirely possible that the railroad has set a speed limit which is consistent with both the terrain and the operating characteristics of the railroad and is significantly less than the FRA's "maximum allowable operating speeds" (49CFR213.9(a).

GME
(Who remembers very clearly once having his father explain to him that the fact there was no speed limit on a particular super highway at the time was not the same as having his mother's permission to see how fast her car could really go...)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:41 am 

Trainlawyer makes a valid point. In addition, between Reading and Jim Thorpe there are many curves with speed limits less than 60 mph.

Another factor is that quite a few regional and class 2 roads maintain their track to the specs for a higher class than they designate for that track as the lower class designation has easier to comply with requirements.

In example, I know of a class 2 road the maintains their track to class 3 quality but designates it class 2. Class 2 demands fewer periodic inspections, allows for more ties needing replacement etc.

Anyhow, if you need to find a place where you can buy a ticket to ride behind mainline steam in " full monty" style ( no diesel(s) in the consist, track speed ( 79 mph) , open windows, real runbys ) you'll have to be patient as it currently doesn't exist.

What the R&N is offering on the 2102 excursions is as close as it gets in today's reality.

I'm looking forward to this Saturday's 425/2102 performance with much anticipation.

Thanks again to Andy Muller and his team for all they do to keep the steam flame burning brightly.

Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:55 am 

I will say that I saw a prolonged period of 50+mph on the stretch between Leesport and Reading, but that was aboard the RDCs on last year's charter trip with the National Museum of Industrial History. And, yes, it was likely because we got behind schedule after a tree fell across the tracks in Tamaqua shortly before we passed through, causing a rather rapid stop and then a wait for crews to get out there with a chainsaw.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:18 pm 

Hello,

This begs the question, which locomotive will lead? We will see….

Recalling when they doubled up in the BM&R days, witnessing them at the brick plant straight, the odd couple gave you the illusion the 425 was getting drug along! :-D

You will not forget what you see….the 425 can certainly hold its own!

If they do a run by, the heavy acceleration will put on quite a show.

Regards,

Randy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:43 pm 

It's very likely the track is maintained to allow 60mph passenger trains, but they go slower due to curves, grades, reduced wear on the track, train chasers wouldn't get into accidents, and
so passengers can see the scenery they are passing.
Does anyone know how fast the test runs were?
I'm willing to bet Andy might have opened the throttle a bit more than with customers on board.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:26 pm 

A heads-up, on the return trip they will be cutting the steam locomotives off at Port Clinton and running it to Reading with diesel power. Also, the F-Units will be on Lehigh Gorge Scenic service out of Jim Thorpe this weekend, so if you want to see them and ride behind them during the layover, you will have the opportunity

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:06 pm 

Starting with the 1960 season, Reading Company dropped the steam engine toward the end of a Ramble. Often, it was at Reading where the steamer would have needed to load water; instead it went to the roundhouse. The first such Ramble was April 30, 1960 Wayne Junction to Gettysburg with 2124 as solo engine. 2124 came off at Reading and FP7's 902-903 took over.

Today, 2124 and the 902-903 pair are on adjacent tracks at Steamtown.

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:05 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
This was making the rounds today.

There are people claiming to have cleared the entire board.

Attachments:
R&N Doubleheader Bingo.jpg
R&N Doubleheader Bingo.jpg [ 98.07 KiB | Viewed 2026 times ]

Last edited by Alexander D. Mitchell IV on Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:22 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
This was making the rounds today.

I have 8 matching bingos on that chart. While today was a pleasant experience for my father who I had brought as a belated 80th birthday present - the utter insanity that we witnessed from the chasers and some of the foamers in Jim Thorpe was just boggling.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:53 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
We could probably create another board entirely, some specific to this trip and some rather more general:

*The people who have to stare at the main rod/driver connection from six inches away for five minutes......
*People complaining why CNJ 113 wasn't added......
*People complaining about the "wrong" paint/whistle on 2102.....
*People complaining about dome cars.....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:12 am 

The guys climbing on and in the RBMN hopper car were my favourite one.

To their credit, the R&N police stated (on their facebook page) that they don't want to charge them, they just want to have a talk about railroad safety and the dangers of trespassing.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:42 am 

It's far from just railroad "enthusiasts" who can be a problem around other people's property. Just remember the full name of "fan". Sometimes your fans just want to throw a pizza on the roof of your house...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeHApBTsb98

As we come to the end of that franchise tomorrow night.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next