It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Semi-OT: Why Online Forums (Like This) Are Dying?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:38 am 

As a railfan and railway enthusiast, I have been browsing this Interchange for many years. I have found it very useful. Not only do I learn of preservation projects around the country but when I am looking for detailed histories of passenger cars for labelling photographs, my searches tend to include results from this board and the applicable thread(s) will give me nuanced information that I would not be able to find elsewhere.

Also, it is always nice to read about preservation projects, events around the country or the like. I have almost every issues of Locomotive and Railway Preservation Magazine, and as I started in this hobby from the preservation angle, that magazine (and this website) resonated with me.

I did used to read all the articles when they were posted and enjoyed them.

There are many knowledgeable people on this board and to lose it would be a great shame. Admittedly there are some people who stray away from the subject at hand but that is why there is a moderator.

The layout of this website is simple and easy to use. I for one do not need graphics, a mobile-friendly layout (I can access RyPN on my I-phone just as easily as I can on a laptop or desktop computer); just the ability to browse (and occasionally) post on this very worthwhile discussion board.

Elizabeth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:44 pm 

It would appear that there are at least two viable solutions for the RYPN obsolescence dilemma:

1. Somebody adds a "Railroad Preservation" category or categories to an existing site and the people from here migrate over, or.......

2. Somebody starts a new discussion site with similar features but supported with modern software.

Or alternately the discussion of the problems just goes on................

One way or another it does not appear that this site's problems are going to be solved within the limitations of the existing software package.

PC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:15 pm 

PCook wrote:
It would appear that there are at least two viable solutions for the RYPN obsolescence dilemma:

1. Somebody adds a "Railroad Preservation" category or categories to an existing site and the people from here migrate over, or.......

2. Somebody starts a new discussion site with similar features but supported with modern software.

Or alternately the discussion of the problems just goes on................

One way or another it does not appear that this site's problems are going to be solved within the limitations of the existing software package.

PC

Is there a Railroad Preservation subreddit? That might be a pretty good place to start. Reddit posts have very good searchability through Google.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:52 pm 

Did Ed just make a rational, coherent point? Been waiting years...

Seriously though, that is worth looking into.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:36 pm 

"Is there a Railroad Preservation subreddit? That might be a pretty good place to start. Reddit posts have very good searchability through Google."

There is. It has seven members, and about nine posts, eight of them from over four years ago.

Howard P.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:38 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Howard P. wrote:
"Is there a Railroad Preservation subreddit? That might be a pretty good place to start. Reddit posts have very good searchability through Google."

There is. It has seven members, and about nine posts, eight of them from over four years ago.

So, effectively, "rail preservation" isn't even on the radar scopes of computer users UNDER FORTY, never mind the generation below them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:55 am 

One limited subreddit being small is not a sign there aren't people under the age of 40 interested in rail preservation.

First off, regardless of generational status, the struggles of youth remain much the same. School, early career, car payments, house payments, dating, marriage, raising children, etc. Ask yourselves that, how many of the current "old guard" of railroad preservationists spent all their time at the railroad museum when they were under 40? Only the most devout and fanatical perhaps, but many of them had to step away from the trains for a time to focus on their real lives.

Second, one internet forum a whole sample of the population does not make. Facebook groups such as Ahead of the Torch have a fairly decent mix of both older and younger members. Walled garden environments on Discord show even more congregation of the younger railfans and steam enthusiasts. I am in one group entirely focused on the 19th century on Discord, where the oldest members are only about in their mid-40's. That server is a constant stream of roster research, paint research, and discussion. Yes its happening in a closed garden environment, but also being free from the public eye allows ironically a more tame discussion than anything I really see here. Less trolls find their way in, and likewise less old men who would berate some of the group members over their feelings on how Texas was restored and how its an insult to the "Lost Cause".

This is not unique. I am in other Discord servers relating to YouTube presenters with a young audience and the discussion is similar. Yes sometimes things get off the rails but the culture of Discord with a misbehaving member is less a "well we should send them a polite warning" and more of a "lmao, ban them" type attitude. Much easier to use the mod tools there, and keep the Sword of Damocles over the user's heads. Even then those who want a more rough and tumble X-rated railroad discussion can probably find it in a server there if they want, although that certainly doesn't reflect any of the servers I am in. But advertising a place for mudslinging and hornyposting allows the miscreants to sort themselves out via finding their own walled garden away from those who would rather discuss 19th century paint chip finds.

My point is, its not that people under 40 aren't interested in rail preservation. Its just most of them are not interested in discussing it here.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:58 am 

We are a very small group of people and getting smaller.

Here is another option. What about railroad.net? Would RYPN be better off as a forum under that umbrella instead of continuing to go it alone on this ancient platform? It seems to be rather popular, has way more features and has a moderator approval feature (which we don't have here). Just a thought.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:56 am 

Rick Rowlands wrote:
We are a very small group of people and getting smaller.

Here is another option. What about railroad.net? Would RYPN be better off as a forum under that umbrella instead of continuing to go it alone on this ancient platform? It seems to be rather popular, has way more features and has a moderator approval feature (which we don't have here). Just a thought.

I'd like to explore Nathan's beta site under an expanded leadership team. If the handle RyPN is proprietary, then the new site could be called Railway Preservation Network to keep the RyPN tag relevant.

Wesley

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:40 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
So, effectively, "rail preservation" isn't even on the radar scopes of computer users UNDER FORTY, never mind the generation below them.

I'm 18, and I am part of several online groups that talk about trains. Most people on there are not far off of my age, and a very common subject is railroad preservation topics. I will commonly take a look at this site and share the topics that I find interesting with them.
I know one other person that's part of those groups who has an account here, though they have only made two or three posts. I personally don't know why they (most people in the groups that I'm in) don't use this site without asking them. However, I don't use it too often because I don't really have many good replies to most subjects. I would love to talk more about this kind of stuff. I still go to my local NRHS chapter meetings as well.

As a side note relating to xboxtravis7992's message, I'm in a bunch of those "Discord" servers and I can agree with what he said. I personally have my own server where I like to post a train picture everyday (or at least when I remember to do so), and it appears that a bunch of people enjoy that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:18 pm 

I would venture that the largest part of the community of this forum is easily AARP qualified and a significant number of the members are living on their retirement income and are unfortunately have the likelyhood of only being on breath away from the hereafter.

Forums like this are dying because forum members like us, are also dying.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:30 pm 

Is RyPn really dying? By what metrics are we measuring this? I am a member of numerous railroad groups on Groups.io platform (the remaining message groups that were transitioned over from Yahoo Groups). Now, many of those groups are dying or dead. Heck, a few are lucky to have a post a month.

However, it seems that RyPn has a healthy number of new posts and topics daily. 20 years ago, what did the demographics look like here? Sure, a number of folks have passed and some still posting were here on day one, but haven't we recruited a number of "new" members to the forum and industry over the years?

A friend and I were discussing railroadiana collectors recently. I bemoaned the lack of serious collectors under 40. He reminded me that the story was similar when he started collecting 30 years ago. There were few in his age bracket, but as folks paid off debts, had kids out of school and with more disposable income (or retired), they became fastidious collectors. Isn't the same true in preservation? Foster the interest and when and if the time, money and opportunity arises, they'll show up.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:31 am 

Just read on another thread that the topis was first discussed on this site over 20 years ago. Perhaps we need to change this to a discussion on why this site is still alive?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:35 pm 

Until recently I was convinced that the steam lover community was an ever shrinking fraternity as those who knew steam in their youth steadily died off.

My recent experience riding the July 2nd. 2102 powered Iron Horse Ramble on Andy Muller's R&N RR has begun to change my mind. That train had 12 sold out open window coaches carrying approx. 840 riders and a good half of them at least were in the 10-30 years old category.

My guess is that very few, if any of them frequent RyPN but they're out there and were certainly totally enjoying themselves behind the 2102.

My 2 cents worth. Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:18 pm 

Best piece of advice coming from a railfan-turned-photographer of a younger age than most of this forum: start reaching out to platforms such as Instagram and YouTube if you wish to have an organization really gain the attention of this community. So, so many people I railfan with or generally have communicated with via platforms such as Instagram have never even heard of RYPN, let alone half of the organizations with outdated sites similar to this and TO. Most of us who post over there have amassed audiences and social circles much larger than those on forums. It’s simply easier for the modern generations to post, comment, share, and message with each other on a modern platform designed for such things. RYPN and many rail forums out there rely on outdated internet practices (i.e. the difficult to use interface [most of the people posting in interchange didn’t even know how to navigate to the Railfanning section up until recently]). Many will argue that FaceBook is a well-used platform for posting group or organization updates, which is only partially correct when looking to the broader aspects of the preservation, railfanning, and railroading industry.

If you wish to get the younger generations involved with your organization, museum, society, or whatnot, advertise and update on platforms that the said group use. So many threads on this forum see the same group of ~50 people replying, no matter the topic. Just my two cents worth, but I believe that social media has replaced online forums in their entirety and RYPN will surely one day reach a point where it dies out. Just look at the Strasburg Railroad, Fort Wayne group, KSHCO, Nashville Steam, FMW Solutions (especially with PRR 1361), etc. who all utilize Youtube, Instagram, and other modern platforms. They’re able to gain traction much more quickly compared to groups specifically focusing their efforts to a site such as RYPN (think of the F40PH preservation society or the like).

One last thing, this forum really has been lacking in threads and topics, as by page 3 of Interchange you’re already looking at things posted over a year ago. Instagram and Youtube receive hundreds of rail preservation and rail related topics and posts every hour in comparison.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next