It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cass Scenic Restorations and Projects
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:13 pm 

After visiting Cass a few weeks ago for the parade of steam and getting to look around towards the shops there, I was wondering if anyone has any details or knowledge on the current restoration projects there. I know they have Shay #2, #4, #5, and #11 operational, as well as the Heisler #6 and Climax #9. The Shay #6 is currently undergoing its 1,472-day and should be running late this year or early next year.

However, I'm more curious about the BC&G 2-8-0 #4 that is supposed to be restored. I saw a post where a new boiler was going to be made, but was wondering if there has been any other work done. There are a couple sites that also listed Cass as having two Preston RR 2-8-0 (#18 and #19), with #19 being under restoration. I wasn't aware they had those other two 2-8-0's, let alone having a second one under restoration. I know that on the Durbin & Greenbrier side of things, that two-truck Climax #3 went out of service for its 1,472-day, but has that work actually started? I haven't heard anything about it, but figured they were waiting to get the track work done before beginning the overhaul.