It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Trip Report- 2102- Reading- Jim Thorpe, pa.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:38 pm 

Jim Evans post above gives a good guide to how you could use the 3.5 hour layover at Jim Thorpe. There are many sidewalk food vendors in the area next to the depot plus lots of sitdown choices on the streets near the station.

My suggestion is eat soon after arrival, go see the Packer mansion and if you're in good shape take the 3/4 mile walk down to the turntable area and enjoy watching the 2102 get serviced, move with her at about 2pm down to the area where the stairs are stored to enable cab visits and join the crowd visiting the cab.

At 3pm sharp the Lehigh Gorge train departs and at about 3:10 the T-1 will move through the depot towards where it will do a grand entrance back into the platform which is called the day's " runby". At about 3:25 pm boarding begins for a 3:45 sharp departure.

If you board at Reading plan to get there by 7:30 or so so you get placed near the front of the large parking lot and will thus have the shortest wait to exit in the evening. The police have it well organized both in and out.

My googles are the " Fly Focus " brand ( made in Vietnam) that I bought at my local Harley Davidson dealer for $ 22. They have a generous foam layer that lays on your face and effectively keeps everything out. I gave them a real test on the trip and they passed with flying colors.

I never thought I'd again see 10 fully loaded open window coaches with heads peering out from nearly every window enjoying the majesty of a hard working steam engine but sure enough that was the scene on July 2.

Enjoy the trip. And again, many thanks to Andy Muller & team for all they do to keep the steam flame burning brightly.

Enjoy the trip. Ross Rowland

Post subject: Re: Trip Report- 2102- Reading- Jim Thorpe, pa.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:00 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
The beer geek in me insists on offering up:

*Bright Path Brewing, just opened late April, brewpub at 1215 North Avenue (a bit of a hike);

*Jim Thorpe Brewing, local microbrewery (NOT brewpub or bar), in 16-oz. cans or on draught around town and the region, features a logo with a train coming out of a tunnel;

*Notch Eight Craft House, 107 Broadway; lots of local craft beer and a railroad-themed name;

*Union Publick House, 212 Center Street, a "dive" with good beer and closest to the depot.................