It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reading 2100 Moves Under It's Own Power
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 1999 9:41 am 

This past Tuesday evening saw 2100 doing test runs in the former Canada Southern/New York Central yard in St. Thomas, Ontario.<br>With the exception of a tempermental water pump on the fireman's side, 2100 performed beautifully. They spent about 2 hours running<br>by the former Michigan Central locomotive shops where 2100 has called home for the last year and a half. No more test runs are<br>planned in the near future. <br>

robsterne@hotmail.com

Post subject: Re: Reading 2100 Moves Under It's Own Power
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 1999 3:33 am 

I read more about Reading 2100 on the Steam Central Website. The story didn't make clear the current status of 2101 and 2102. Was 2101 rebuilt successfully after the fire? If 2100 donated so many parts, including a tender to others, how did the missing parts return and where did they come from?<br><br>

wrj494@aol.com

Post subject: a few answers
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 1999 5:34 am 

David:<p>2101 was cosmetically done up as AFT 1 and presented to the B&O museum in exchange for C&O 614 in 1979. (Ironically, Rowland had preferred 614 as the "other" Freedom Train engine in 1975, but the 2100s were easier to obtain.) <p>The cabs were NOT swapped - that's an error I've corrected. (I found a photo in my own collection of 2100 outside at Hagerstown in 1984, with the cab clearly lettered 2100.) The tenders were simply swapped - the fire warped some of the sheet metal, and it was simply more expedient to swap tenders, since 2100 was never going to be rebuilt ;-) As to the rest of the parts, there are spares out there, and several companies specialize in providing them.<p>2102 is in storage on the Reading & Northern (owned by Andy Muller, who also owns the 2102), I believe at Port Clinton, PA.<p>JAC

SteamCentral

Post subject: Some more answers to John'sRe: a few answers
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 1999 7:01 pm 

John,<p>At least part fo #2100's cab is not original, as the sides of her first one are in Leesport, PA.<p>Also, to clairfy... Muller owns #2102 which is inoperable at Port Clinton. #2124 is at Steamtown, #2101 at Baltimore and of course the class engine had her sex change in Canada.<p>Of note, the shop switcher and Camelback at Strasburg, 4-4-0 at 0-4-0 at Philly and the inspection engine at St. Louis round out existing Reading steam.<p>Rob<p><br>