It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Finally some smoke at EBT
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:13 pm 

If a photo being posted takes wind out of sails your organization has serious issues.

I’d also suggest your media team thinks too highly of themselves.. I hope you’re not paying for something that is so way over-produced. If your media team had just posted a live-video, which is really more effective in social media advertising, this wouldn’t have been an issue.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:49 pm 

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
If a photo being posted takes wind out of sails your organization has serious issues.

I realize this further derails the thread, but if after investing thousands of hours or work and hundreds of thousands of dollars (not to mention the blood, sweat, and tears) only to have the "we're done!" surprise announcement taken out of my hands- to finally show off our hard work, I'd be pretty unhappy.

That being said, and in conjunction with my earlier post, we still don't know if that was necessarily the case here. (Probably making a mountain out a molehill with this specific photo) but IN GENERAL an organization whose hard work had made such an accomplishment possible, by all rights has every justification for "first dibs" and to ask the same of anyone allowed to be present. Tell me that organization is not justified in this and I'll tell you that you obviously didn't work on it.

Congrats to the EBT, Dave Domitrovich & crew for such a historic moment and achievement! The EBT has been and will only continue to get better!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:50 pm 

Boilermaker wrote:
Crescent-Zephyr wrote:

I realize this further derails the thread, but if after investing thousands of hours or work and hundreds of thousands of dollars (not to mention the blood, sweat, and tears) only to have the "we're done!" surprise announcement taken out of my hands- to finally show off our hard work, I'd be pretty unhappy.

That being said, and in conjunction with my earlier post, we still don't know if that was necessarily the case here. (Probably making a mountain out a molehill with this specific photo) but IN GENERAL an organization whose hard work had made such an accomplishment possible, by all rights has every justification for "first dibs" and to ask the same of anyone allowed to be present. Tell me that organization is not justified in this and I'll tell you that you obviously didn't work on it.

Congrats to the EBT, Dave Domitrovich & crew for such a historic moment and achievement! The EBT has been and will only continue to get better!

*deleted*

Last edited by extra16south on Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:56 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Oh, for cripe's sake.

Anyone who actually gives a damn about the EBT KNEW 16 was being worked on, and had to be steamable pretty darn soon. WE knew it was close. Even I, thousands of miles away, "knew" it was going to be "any day now," unless someone screwed up and drove an out-of-control forklift's forks through the side of the boiler.

This is not a "We have the Nevada three-foot steam gathering locos coming out to spend the summer with us" announcement. This is not "we're buying the EBT" or "We just bought the upper end of the EBT" media announcement. This is not "A mine is paying us to rebuild the hoppers and ship coal/rock" announcement. This is not "we're getting a Cape Gauge Beyer-Garratt from Africa and converting her to three-foot gauge" announcement. This is not "We got Osama bin Laden."

Whether it be by a leaked photo or an official announcement from some EBT rep, I've long ago learned the response is "Hmmmmm, that's nice, good to hear. Get back to me when it's moving under steam and you have the first operating date so I can make plans." (Why not? I've ridden behind the other four all at once....)

In fact, I have certain associates on Facebook alluding to taking off of work or canceling plans elsewhere to show up in Orby on a certain upcoming date--all but insinuating, or outright suggesting, it's a test run for 16. If I were still close enough to put in an appearance, I'd probably know more from the "See you there?" messages.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:31 pm 

We've known that competent people were involved.
16 steaming up this soon Is a M Night Shamalon twist, anyone could see.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:39 am 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:

In fact, I have certain associates on Facebook alluding to taking off of work or canceling plans elsewhere to show up in Orby on a certain upcoming date--all but insinuating, or outright suggesting, it's a test run for 16. If I were still close enough to put in an appearance, I'd probably know more from the "See you there?" messages.

*deleted*

Last edited by extra16south on Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:46 am 

Well....

Since you work there, I suppose you could just meet them there now, couldn't you, Mr. Byers?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:31 am 

extra16south wrote:
This is why RYPN never has, nor ever will have any respect in the industry. It's why every museum and volunteer organization I've ever been a part of uses RYPN as the butt of all their jokes.

When I came on board here I thought there could be a way to redirect RYPN back to becoming a relevant forum for real discussions, but I have found that to be a fools errand. Every thread of any interest seems to devolve into bickering. Many of those who participate here seem to have lost sight of why we do rail preservation and instead use this forum to further grudges and to create new grudges. Spending five pages complaining about a photo? Geez. And not a single morsel of information in this entire thread that can help anyone do anything in rail preservation.

I agree, RYPN is a laughing stock and I'm about to the point where I no longer want my name associated with this dumpster fire. I am building a successful tourist railroad operation and do not need this forum dragging me down or taking time away from productive work to babysit a bunch of grown men who absolutely know better.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:00 pm 

Rick
I have been a member since 2005 or so and have seen the ups and downs of RYPN.
Rick and many others have a value that is recognized and important to many of us.
DO NOT let the Nay Sayers get to you, some people just do not get it or care to get it.
A lot of knowledge is on this board helps a lot of people!!
I very rarely post on this board any longer but have enjoyed the surviving Pullman and PRR survivor car chases.
DO NOT GIVE UP, just ignore when presented with negative!
Brian Shannon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:04 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Rick Rowlands wrote:
a bunch of grown men who absolutely know better.

I don't think they are/do.

Last edited by Alexander D. Mitchell IV on Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:27 pm 

On behalf of the EBT Foundation, we certainly want to thank everyone for their kind words and well wishes as we complete this exciting milestone in the project. There is plenty of work left to be done, which our experienced and professional crew is making steady progress on every day! We look forward to seeing steam hit the rails in the near future and hope to see everyone here in Orbisonia to ride the train and celebrate this beloved National Historic Landmark coming back to life.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:15 pm 

extra16south wrote:
When the time comes, can you let us know? I'd like to see it.

Given the behavior here and your obstinance in demanding that secrets be kept before formal announcements................ why in #>)*&#!@ would I even consider doing so??????

Last edited by Alexander D. Mitchell IV on Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:40 pm 

All I can say is very classy Mr Smith!! As soon as some people emerge from their basement lairs and actually do something to help, things will be a lot better. The FEBT and the Foundation have done the impossible. An EBT loco in steam! Five years ago, an impossibility. I had major back surgery early this year. And I'll be back to Rockhill Furnace to do what I can soon.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:29 pm 

jsmithebtrr wrote:
On behalf of the EBT Foundation, we certainly want to thank everyone for their kind words and well wishes as we complete this exciting milestone in the project. There is plenty of work left to be done, which our experienced and professional crew is making steady progress on every day! We look forward to seeing steam hit the rails in the near future and hope to see everyone here in Orbisonia to ride the train and celebrate this beloved National Historic Landmark coming back to life.
Thanks Jonathan, but did you get permission from "extra16south" to post that?

Sorry Rick, couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:07 pm 

jsmithebtrr wrote:

I'd like to add my congratulations on your achieving this milestone. Being involved in a similar project I very much understand that "It'll be done when it is finished". Best of luck and high green from here on out!.............mld

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next