It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Carson City Steam Up this July
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:08 pm 

So as an update they have posted schedules for on the Great Western Steam Up page. This whole thing is so confusing... I don't think the general public is going to pay $30 per adult for this but maybe I'm wrong.

Charging extra to walk around early is a very strange decision as well.

But the good news is that a couple days at the museum will provide some great opportunities to see and ride behind a variety of standard and narrow gauge equipment. Will be a neat opportunity for sure. Just wish this could have been organized better with photo shoots and also some activities at both the V&T Railroad and V&T Railway.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:19 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Crescent-Zephyr wrote:

If you're coming from afar to see this and "need" relatively "people-less" photos and/or "golden morning hours" sunlight, that's easily the biggest "bargain" to be had. It's easily comparable to "early admission" to an antiques show (at five times the regular admission, to get first crack at any unique or bargain pieces) or a "VIP session" at a beer/wine/culinary festival where you actually get to talk with the brewers/vintners/chefs about their creations instead of elbowing through a crowd....................

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:38 am 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
Crescent-Zephyr wrote:

If you're coming from afar to see this and "need" relatively "people-less" photos and/or "golden morning hours" sunlight, that's easily the biggest "bargain" to be had.

Indeed it is a bargain if you consider the lack of discipline especially in the US, if you want to take photos. Charging an adequate price keeps away those people wo carelessly run in front of the photographers line just because they believe they can.

A few years ago, the museum in Shildon (UK) really must have made good money by selling early admissions when the six A4s were on place. When the normal admission time began, you immediately could see the difference.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:39 am 

Usually it’s just me and a few crazy foamers in the mornings... heck there were usually only a few dozen people that showed up for the “parade of trains” in the mornings I attended at Carson City anyways.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:00 pm 

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
Usually it’s just me and a few crazy foamers in the mornings... heck there were usually only a few dozen people that showed up for the “parade of trains” in the mornings I attended at Carson City anyways.

I attended the annual, July 4th, "Everything that runs runs" event at NSRM in 2017 and it was excellent. It was not too crowded, and they basically ran everything on the loop from about 9AM until about 9:45. Inyo pulled a pristine V&T Combine that seldom ventures outside the museum walls. The light was good and I got some really nice pictures.

I'm trying to pre-condition myself to not expect the same results from this event as it will be more crowded (people-wise and equipment-wise) and any movements will not likely happen during the good morning light. NSRM is definitely a morning railroad from a photography standpoint. I purchased the early entry every day, but I don't think anything is scheduled to move during the limited entry hours. I hope I am wrong.

Honestly, I decided to attend because 6 of the 9 V&T engines will be there, including the Bowker and the Genoa, which I have never seen outside the CSRM. I understand that Reno will be there, but I have seen photos that lead me to believe she will be displayed without her tender......I hope that is not the case. Just seeing the 11 is a bucket-list item for me. That is the only V&T engine I have never seen at all. I hope I live to see her restored.

/Kevin Madore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:53 am 

Not willing to derail this thread, but I couldn't resist to mention this, as you have accidentally given a perfect definition of the word "foamer":

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
Usually it’s just me and a few crazy foamers in the mornings...

"Foamer" obviously always means: The other railfan.

Most probably, the other crazy foamers thought the same of you....;-)

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:58 pm 

484Mike wrote:
Not willing to derail this thread, but I couldn't resist to mention this, as you have accidentally given a perfect definition of the word "foamer":

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
Usually it’s just me and a few crazy foamers in the mornings...

"Foamer" obviously always means: The other railfan.

Most probably, the other crazy foamers thought the same of you....;-)

Mike

Anyone who is a member of RYPN is definitely a foamer so I thought that part was obvious ;) haha.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:24 pm 

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
Anyone who is a member of RYPN is definitely a foamer so I thought that part was obvious ;) haha.

As a participant from abroad (just a casual visitor to the US) I really wasn't sure. So I meant no offense to anybody..

Have a good day,
Mike

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:26 pm 

484Mike wrote:
Not willing to derail this thread, but I couldn't resist to mention this, as you have accidentally given a perfect definition of the word "foamer"

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:

There are Railroad Enthusiasts and there are Railroad Photographers......and then there are "Foamers." The latter category is nearly always distinguished from the two former ones by a chronic case of tunnel vision.

/Kevin Madore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:31 pm 

I don't think it's fair to make the blanket statement that members of RYPN are foamers. Admittedly, there are probably members that fit into that category, but not all of the RYPN posters are foamers. I for one do not chase trains, take photos of the latest heritage unit, or fantasize about what should be restored. Instead, I work in the railroad industry, appreciate the history behind the railroads and how they built this county, and admire the skill that goes into a restoration project. Additionally, I do not live in my parents' basement, and am not afraid to talk to girls.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:36 pm 

murph wrote:
I don't think it's fair to make the blanket statement that members of RYPN are foamers. Admittedly, there are probably members that fit into that category, but not all of the RYPN posters are foamers. I for one do not chase trains, take photos of the latest heritage unit, or fantasize about what should be restored. Instead, I work in the railroad industry, appreciate the history behind the railroads and how they built this county, and admire the skill that goes into a restoration project. Additionally, I do not live in my parents' basement, and am not afraid to talk to girls.

Fun story, do you have any thoughts on the actual topic of this thread?

Hearing about the engines coming from Sacramento makes me wish there will be a few staged photo opportunities. They really should have hired Pete Lerro to make this a truly spectacular photo / history event.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:50 pm 

My thoughts are how great it is to see multiple steam locomotives operating together.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:03 pm 

murph wrote:
My thoughts are how great it is to see multiple steam locomotives operating together.

Yeah, I would be more excited if they had a place to run. I guess last year at Cumbres & Toltec and Durango spoiled me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:58 pm 

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
Hearing about the engines coming from Sacramento makes me wish there will be a few staged photo opportunities. They really should have hired Pete Lerro to make this a truly spectacular photo / history event.

Imagine Dayton, Inyo, Genoa and J.W.Bowker around the turntable.....with some smoke bombs to liven up the cold engines. Add a few re-enactors in Victorian costume and that would have made a nice V&T anniversary shot.

/Kevin Madore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:44 am 

KevinM wrote:
Crescent-Zephyr wrote:

Imagine Dayton, Inyo, Genoa and J.W.Bowker around the turntable.....with some smoke bombs to liven up the cold engines. Add a few re-enactors in Victorian costume and that would have made a nice V&T anniversary shot.

k\/Kevin Madore

Oh, I can imagine.... :/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next