It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Life Span of Car End Hoses
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 9:46 pm 

For the brake guys, three quickie questions…. It sticks in my head that you can store end hoses protected for eight years. Is that correct? Also, does a clock start ticking after installation or are we just inspecting for replacement when inspecting the system. Truck hoses good for 15 years? That also sticks in my head. I’d look it up but I don’t have a field manual. I’m looking at a full COTS on a couple cars.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Life Span of Car End Hoses
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 1:33 am 

I thought it was 7 years, or until a passenger throws it off the train.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 10:12 am 

It’s been a while since I’ve done freight car work. For some reason I thought it was 3 or 5 years for end air hoses on interchange cars. And the date goes by the date of the air house. If you look on each end air hose there should be a mark on the hose part that says something like “2Q20”. Meaning the hose was manufactured in the 2nd quarter of 2022.

Also, the gaskets should be replaced before starting any Single Car Brake Test. Which should be done I think once a year.

Like I said it’s been several years since working on any freight cars. So I could be wrong. Also make sure you have the most correct AAR Field Manual available when doing any work. An auditor will fail you immediately if you have an out dated version.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 12:23 pm 

I'll just give the passenger car rules end hoses are 8 years by date of hose. Under car hoses are 10 years by date of hose or when a PC2 inspection of the trucks is done. Really don't want to store hoses, since it all goes by the date on the hose.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 4:57 pm 

I should add that these cars are not legal for interchange and would likely never leave the property on their own wheels. We’re trying to keep everything kosher like the big boys in case there is ever a question by anyone that would have the ability to ding us. We’re not fans of muddling through things with fingers crossed. We prefer to do it by via the proper procedures for that just-in-case event.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 12:17 pm 

jayrod wrote:
We’re trying to keep everything kosher like the big boys in case there is ever a question by anyone that would have the ability to ding us.

We do much the same. 2018 AAR Interchange (the most recent edition I have immediately at hand) was saying 8 years for end hoses, 15 years for "fixed" hoses.

rstabler wrote:
Really don't want to store hoses, since it all goes by the date on the hose.

That's my understanding as well.

-Erich Armpriester
Strasburg Rail Road Mechanical Services

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 7:58 pm 

Thanks, everybody, for your comments and recommendations both on and off list. I feel much more comfortable with scheduling and records now.