It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WMSR #734 in the Shop ....
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 6:26 am 

From the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad Facebook Page...
https://www.facebook.com/WMSRailroad/ph ... 748242970/

"As many of our supporters already know, WMSR has already begun the process of fundraising for No. 734's overhaul. Steam locomotives must be put through a thorough inspection and rebuilding process every 15 years or 1472 days, whichever comes first.

We have the excitement of the recent inauguration of No. 1309 at our backs...let's keep it going.

Why No. 734? She has been the longest operating locomotive at

WMSR. Her mountain presence has encouraged thousands of families trackside to support our community and railroad.

WMSR is an Economic Engine for Allegany County...and No. 734 will once again steam.

Earlier today, No. 734 was positioned over the shop pit to begin separating the tender from the locomotive so evaluation and inspection can begin.

Consider making your donation to this piece of our collection today."

Post subject: Re: WMSR #734 in the Shop ....
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 7:07 am 

Without knowing more about what led to this particular choice it isn't possible to know the extent to which it is rational or feasible. My gut tells me they didn't just throw pictures of all the locomotives into a hat and this one got drawn out by random selection.....

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:15 am 

well...it's not like they have a long list of steam power to pick from... other than 1309, the 734 is "it".

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 10:01 am 

Sounds smart to get going now, so they have something to substitute for 1309 when it is out of service.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 11:56 am 

Even a tightwad like myself coughed up a little dough for this project. The WMSR are nice folks, it is a privilege to help, and I wish them the best of luck with her.

VIVA WMSR #734 !!!

Sammy King

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 2:38 pm 

Dave wrote:
Without knowing more about what led to this particular choice it isn't possible to know the extent to which it is rational or feasible. My gut tells me they didn't just throw pictures of all the locomotives into a hat and this one got drawn out by random selection.....

This was supposed to be posted on the thread about the choice of the 4-6-0 at MTM..... must have hit the wrong icon. I have nothing but respect for these guys in WV, they are running a class act and doing good work. Ignore this and carry on. Age and cataracts are no fun.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 2:41 pm 

Dave wrote:
Dave wrote:

This was supposed to be posted on the thread about the choice of the 4-6-0 at MTM..... must have hit the wrong icon. I have nothing but respect for these guys in WV, they are running a class act and doing good work. Ignore this and carry on. Age and cataracts are no fun.

I bet Vago is going to get a chuckle out of this one......

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 12:20 am 

You really have to admire these folks.

They overcame a bad situation, and attempted murder in the form of that farcical "audit".

They aren't resting on their well-deserved laurels for getting 1309 running, but are preparing for continuity.

Cheer, folks.

I'll be sending something your way.

By the way, if you head into Frostburg and go to the Mexican place-and order something and get a warning that it's "hot", they actually meaning "scorching" and I'm a guy who likes El Yucateco habanero sauce when I can find it.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 10:29 pm 

superheater wrote:
By the way, if you head into Frostburg and go to the Mexican place-and order something and get a warning that it's "hot", they actually meaning "scorching" and I'm a guy who likes El Yucateco habanero sauce when I can find it.

A little topic drift… After decades of zippy Tex-Mex and snacking on jalapeños, I’ve learned that since moving to Northeast Ohio, hot is black pepper or maybe a teeny pinch of red here. Tobasco if you’re really adventurous. I assume it’s probably the same in Maryland. Though I’d appreciate the warning, it wouldn’t stop me. I’ll have to try that place out. Was the food good, otherwise?