It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Canada: Waterloo Central Railway: Steam Returns
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 8:08 am 

Posted on May 18, 2022 on Waterloo Central Railway's Facebook page:

<quote>
Built in 1923 by Montreal Locomotive Works for the Essex Terminal Railway in Windsor, No. 9 is back and even better than before after a 2-year refit and its 10-year TSSA boiler inspection.

Resplendent in its new boiler cladding and featuring many operational improvements, we are ready to get back and start carrying passengers this Victoria Day on our special steam excursion.

Join us on Victoria Day, Monday, May 23 at 11 AM and 130 PM and travel back in time for an authentic heritage steam train ride through Woolwich Township and Waterloo Regions’ famous Mennonite farm country on our historic rail line first built in the late 1800’s and in continuous service since then.

Sit back and relax as you travel through the picturesque countryside and beautiful farming landscape, of which we are so proud.

As part of our steam excursion program, each approximately 2-hour round-trip steam train ride will feature one steam run-past where passengers will be let off the train to photograph No. 9 in action under steam with our farmland as the backdrop. Once the train passes, everyone gets back on for the remainder of the trip. (The runpast is weather permitting – it will not take place if it is raining or if the track side is wet and muddy.)

Whether you’re a returning guest or visiting us for the first time, we look forward to you joining us at the Waterloo Central Railway, dedicated to the preservation, restoration, and operation of Canadian heritage railway equipment.
This steam train ride is a round trip journey of approximately 2 hours in length and returning on the same track. Your round-trip journey begins at our St. Jacobs Farmers’ Market Station on Farmers Market Drive.

Parking is available at the Farmers Market Station. Please note that our trains do not stop at our Restoration & Maintenance Facility in St. Jacobs.

Tickets are available on-line only by going to our website at: https://waterloocentralrailway.com/

Next, select “Book Your Next Journey” and then go to “No. 9 Steam Locomotive Excursion” to book your tickets.
<unquote>

Attachments:
Waterloo Central Railway 9.jpg
Waterloo Central Railway 9.jpg [ 182.41 KiB | Viewed 1985 times ]

Post subject: Re: Canada: Waterloo Central Railway: Steam Returns
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:21 am 

I don't understand why the locomotive is not described in this announcement. After digging around in the group's web site I found it is an 0-6-0.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:35 am 

Back in 2005 the loco was based at the museum in St Thomas, ON, and was used for short trips along the former Canada Southern main line, as seen in my photo taken at one of their operating days......
Attachment:
rD5-293.JPG
rD5-293.JPG [ 94.47 KiB | Viewed 1901 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:40 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Ron Goldfeder wrote:
I don't understand why the locomotive is not described in this announcement. After digging around in the group's web site I found it is an 0-6-0.

Though I agree that this would have been information easily and glibly added to a media release...............

........... is there anyone besides a tiny sub-set of this incredibly small enthusiast population that will base a decision on visiting the Waterloo Central based on whether the steam loco is an 0-6-0, a 2-6-0, or a 2-8-2 or whatever?

Heck, I'd probably stop by to see that Canadian freak show some line had of an 0-6-0 with a diesel in the boiler and a chain-gear drive..............

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 1:20 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:

Heck, I'd probably stop by to see that Canadian freak show some line had of an 0-6-0 with a diesel in the boiler and a chain-gear drive..............

Ex CPR 0-6-0 #2144 at Heritage Park in Calgary, Alberta. Boiler gutted and replaced with a diesel engine and chain drive to the axle, smokebox door cut out and fitted with expanded metal so said diesel engine can breathe.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 1:22 pm 

RoyalwithCheese wrote:
Ex CPR 0-6-0 #2144 at Heritage Park in Calgary, Alberta. Boiler gutted and replaced with a diesel engine and chain drive to the axle, smokebox door cut out and fitted with expanded metal so said diesel engine can breathe.

They rarely use it. Maybe just for moving cars around. They have two other 0-6-0's that are still steam.