It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Former Northern Pacific Sleeper For Sale
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 1:48 pm 

I'm surprised I haven't seen mention of this here. About a week ago someone representing themselves as speaking for the Steam Railroading Institute in Owosso, MI posted this to Tom Madden's Passenger Car List, a modeling discussion forum. I believe you can view these messages without joining the forum::

https://groups.io/g/PassengerCarList/message/122847

One initial comment said the car had been "tubed", but a follow-up by the original poster had interior pix:

https://groups.io/g/PassengerCarList/message/122887

The original interior looks to be intact. I know someone from SRI posts here occasionally, perhaps he can comment. The car is former N.P. 372, a lightweight sleeper.

Post subject: Re: Former Northern Pacific Sleeper For Sale
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 2:21 pm 

It has been posted in the classifieds for about a week.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=46558

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 3:53 pm 

This is a duplex-roomette sleeper. This car was in use in a circus train (not Ringling Brothers). The interior is ex-Amtrak. The accommodations and fittings are almost all there, but the toilets have been removed. What I presume was a common toilet has been converted to a shower. As Pullman-Standard cars go, this one is pretty good. We bought it for use as a dormitory, but it has been superseded by a plusher El Capitan car and is now surplus. We would favor offers from preservationists who won't attack the interior with a Sawzall after purchase.

Owosso, Michigan 48840-0665

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 7:36 pm 

Was this one of the cars intended for the Marlboro Train, that was started at Rader Railcar but never completed? Judging from the paint job it may be.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 9:06 pm 

ctjacks wrote:
Was this one of the cars intended for the Marlboro Train, that was started at Rader Railcar but never completed? Judging from the paint job it may be.

According to Trains Magazine at the time, upon cancellation all the cars were scrapped by Rader Railcar per its contract with Philip Morris. Only the two new F59PHI's lived on.

Also, for what it's worth it was my impression from the railfan press at the time that the entire consist was going to be rebuilt SP gallery commuter cars constructed by Radar Railcar, including the sleeping cars (Which were to feature glass roofs). Never have seen it said that rebuilt single level streamliner era equipment would've been part of the train.

So I doubt it was.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 4:43 pm 

Per Wayner, NP 372 was built by P-S in or about 1954 to Plan 4192 in Lot 6939. Accommodations were 6 Rmt, 8 Dup Rmt, 4 DB. It did not have a name. The Roomettes are at the front-vestibule end, the postwar Bedrooms in the middle and the Dupx Rmts at the rear end.

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 8:40 pm 

This car has an interesting post-Amtrak history.

It went to Anbel Corp and was rebuilt as one of the last 5 cars that Anbel planned to sell to mexico. The sale did not go thru since mexico by that time decided to get rid of most of their passenger trains. So the 5 cars sat in Brownsville TX for some years. They were nicely refurbished. One day, Ringling Bros had a car that caught fire (as I recall) and needed a replacement car in a hurry. I brokered the sale of the car to the circus and they put it right into service. This was after they had quit using old sleepers in their train, favoring gutted cars that had new custom interiors. So they just ran it as-is with it's mostly original, Heritage-style interior for maybe a year or two at most, until that train finished it's tour and got back to FL. They set the car aside and never rebuilt it as a regular circus car. After a few years they put it up for sale and it was bought by private car owners for the trucks and moved to the Western Maryland Scenic shops near Cumberland. They ended up not using the trucks and I guess then the car ended up with the 1225 group.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 10:42 am 

I learned this weekend that the museum in Toppenish would like this in their collection, recent expenditures for other cars, plus Covid era cash flow, means that unless a willing sponsor comes along, it will likely not be possible to get it. Maybe some NP fan reading this will foot enough of the bill to make it happen.