It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The K4 and the T1...
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 7:43 pm 

Anyone here attend the PRR T&HS meeting in Harrisburg this weekend?

The itinerary had listed "Update on K4" and "Update on T1" - I am curious to hear what was presented on if someone would be kind enough to give a recap!

Post subject: Re: The K4 and the T1...
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:38 am 

I attended the meeting and went to the first presentation by the both groups on Friday. I understand the K4 group had another different presentation on Saturday, but I had to leave for a wedding Saturday morning. Both presentations had a 100 people plus in them and was standing room only. I thought that was great. Here is my recap:

The K4 is moving along at a steady pace and the contractor has made good progress on the engineering and work is being focused on the boiler right now. They just raised a $100,000 and plan on spending that on the the firebox work. They will continue to raise money and they don't seem to have a target date for completion. They showed a lot of videos that I feel we have already seen and the room we were in did not have working air conditioning so it was hard to concentrate with the heat. Overall Joe did a good job showing progress. I was hoping for some more technical info, but am encouraged they are doing it right.

The T1 group blew me away. It not only seems like they are moving along, they are rapidly accelerating. They stole the show by bringing the boiler and cab with them and parking it right outside the convention. It was a steady stream of people out there with it. It was amazing the size of this locomotive. There presentation was very well put together and shown what they have done and what is next. They are clearly well on their way with the frame. They are way further along than I thought. They really demonstrated that not only do they know how to do this, but they ARE doing it. Jason Johnson and Scott McGill gave the presentation and shared lots of technical detail and methods they are using. It seems like every where you went at the convention, people were talking about the T1. Members are already dreaming of a doubleheader with the K4. Someone from TRAINS magazine was there following them around working on a story, I hope that comes out soon and is available online as I don't get the magazine anymore.

I came out of the presentation feeling very good about both groups and you have a feeling they will both be ready about the same time. It sounds like the same contractor is doing work on both engines and I suspect they are working together and sharing resources.

Here is a picture from their facebook page. Lots of other great photos. I haven't seen any more from the K4. If there are can someone share a link with us. https://www.facebook.com/t1locomotive/

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:55 am 

Knowing that the current FRA Form 4 calcs and specs have proven to be the bane of original PRR Belpaire firebox design with the safety factor calcs - what if anything was revealed on what they have changed on the firebox designs or working pressure? I have no doubt they've figured out what to do, I'm just curious to find out the fix.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 5:19 pm 

Earlier in this thread, ted101 mentioned K4 # 1361 and T1 # 5550 double heading at some point in the future. It got me to wondering if a K4 and T1 had ever double headed when they were in regular service. I did see a photo of two T1's on a passenger train, but none of a T1 running with any other class of PRR steam power.

Les

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 5:25 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:
Earlier in this thread, ted101 mentioned K4 # 1361 and T1 # 5550 double heading at some point in the future. It got me to wondering if a K4 and T1 had ever double headed when they were in regular service. I did see a photo of two T1's on a passenger train, but none of a T1 running with any other class of PRR steam power.

Les

A quick Google search brought up several photos showing it did happen. There is a particularly very nice photo taken of a T1 and K4 double heading up Horseshoe Curve.

-Sam

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 5:34 pm 

Boilermaker wrote:
Les Beckman wrote:

Les

A quick Google search brought up several photos showing it did happen. There is a particularly very nice photo taken of a T1 and K4 double heading up Horseshoe Curve.

-Sam

It won't let me copy and paste here: https://www.reddit.com/r/trains/comment ... nd_helper/

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 6:05 pm 

PMC wrote:
Boilermaker wrote:
Les Beckman wrote:

Les

-Sam

It won't let me copy and paste here: https://www.reddit.com/r/trains/comment ... nd_helper/

Great shot. Thanks! Recreating that someday, would be fantastic!

Les

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 3:23 am 

Let's see if this works--

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 9:46 am 

A picture is worth a zillion words !!! Great action photo, I can feel the ground shaking and the exhausts echoing off the surrounding hills !!!

Doesn't get much more real than that!!!

Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:36 pm 

Dear lord, what I would give to see that happen.

However, where would they do it?

Only places in PA that I’m sure would allow this would be Strasburg, RBM&N and maybe B&P (although I don’t know how willing G&W is with steam). Unless NS becomes more open to steam photo charters I don’t know if we’ll see that over Horseshoe Curve

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:50 pm 

Well, remember it was only seven years ago we watched the 765 go over the curve. I wouldn't rule it out, people come and people go in any corporation. The Class 1s have shown multiple times in our lifetimes that in a matter of a couple years they can reverse their policy on steam. Who would have guessed then that CSX would be as cooperative with preservation groups as they are now? (That's not saying too much, but their work with KSHC does come to mind)

I've learned to not hold my breath, but also to never say never.