It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Milwaukee Coast Division at Eatonville, WA 1947
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 12:13 am 

In the light of a future possible Mount Rainier Scenic Railroad starting at Eatonville, WA

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46514

I was checking out the actual route between Eatonville, Elbe and Park Jct. and the
former route before Alder Dam/Lake was constructed 1944. I find this report about an
accident in 1947 and think it is worth to share.

https://rosap.ntl.bts.gov/view/dot/4503 ... 33_DS1.pdf?

It is not the accident what get my attention it is

First
The big revenue they still have on this dead end branchline. A 100 car train and a 82 car
train in the same direction that night. The big customers Harbor Plywood in National, WA,
St. Regis Paper in Mineral, WA and Kosmos Logging in Morton/Kosmos, WA must be still
at full speed to produce Lumber and Wood products.

Second
Each train was operated by only one steamer*. If the cars empty that would exceed 2000
tons. A few years later that require 4 F series diesels (but still with lower direct operating
cost).

*2-6-6-2. 25 new for Chicago, Milwaukee & Puget Sound 1910/11 by ALCO as saturated
Mallets with 70k TE (see pic below).
1929/31 17 of them rebuilt as superheated simple articulated with 82k TE (at that time
the strongest lokies within CMStP&P). Renumbered 1938 #50-#66.

Third
The speed. The report say 15mph within yard limits. That mean outside the yards they can
go faster, maybe 25,30,35mph. In contrast I have a 1995 timetable for that route by
Tacoma Eastern. Yep 48 years later the freight speed limit for the whole division between
Frederickson and Morton is 10mph with certain points only 8mph! That is the result when
the money go to the shareholders not into the infrastructure.

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 53.88 KiB | Viewed 1520 times ]

Post subject: Re: Milwaukee Coast Division at Eatonville, WA 1947
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 9:54 pm 

Similar conditions on the Northern Pacific branch through Orting and on to lake Kapowsin. This is within a few miles of the Milwaukee line to Eatonville and beyond. My dad, Frank Thompson worked this job a lot back in the 50s and 60s. With somewhat light, jointed rail and log loads, speed had to be kept low! If I remember correctly, the distance between rail joints, at speeds above about 12mph would cause the log cars to rock back and forth bad enough to unload!