Post subject: Re: New EBT Video
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 10:36 pm 

Dear I am:

Amen.

Wesley

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 5:59 am 

Kelly,

Thank you for sharing, very well put together!

Linn mentioned a cultural marker, he can get ‘rutchy’, that is Lancaster County, PA speak.

Thank you.

Randy

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 8:50 am 

Yup.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 10:01 am 

well worth watching. Nicely done. Thanks for sharing. Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 10:53 am 

Linn's line about 'there are few things deader than a steam locomotive without steam, or one more alive than with steam' is one of the epic quotes of this project, and his contribution, just by stating that, comes through so well in the video.... well done.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 2:11 pm 

So many of us that love the EBT RR sweated out those nine years in fear that we were about to lose a great treasure ! I'm so happy that didn't happen and thrilled to see the changes that have happened !!!!
God Bless everyone involved !

Kevin K

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 6:23 pm 

It's a drop the mike moment.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 11:24 pm 

Randy Gustafson wrote:
Linn's line about 'there are few things deader than a steam locomotive without steam, or one more alive than with steam' is one of the epic quotes of this project, and his contribution, just by stating that, comes through so well in the video.... well done.
Linn is a natural when it comes to profound quotes. Wish I could do it.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 12:55 am 

Wonderful little movie--and I'm looking forward to more things like this as the EBT comes back (and of course, getting to ride again).

Quote:
"There are few things deader than a steam locomotive without steam, or one more alive than with steam"--Linn Moedinger

That was apparent to my wife, who loves trains (and me!), but is not the strong enthusiast I am (to her, steam engines are "cute"--including beasts like the 611 and the 1218!)

This came up when we were at one of the Fall Spectaculars, and we were there as the engines were being put away on a Saturday night. From outside the roundhouse, we could see one of the engines inside, one that had just come in from the night train.

It was being bedded down for the night, and someone turned off the headlight dynamo. As the turbine spun down, the headlight grew dimmer and dimmer, taking a fairly long time to finally go out.

My wife commented, "Look, it's going to sleep. It's closing its eye."

Living machines, with souls--yes.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 8:24 am 

Yes very well done video I thought it captured excitement about the mission. My favorite thing Lynn said was "people have no idea how quiet these things can be. They can sneak up on you and you won't hear them coming. Obviously not a quote and I am not going to go find it and spend the time to do that. But that is the jist of it. I thought how profound a statement. If your not an experienced shop person you may not understand how true a statement that can be. I bet there are lots of rail fans out there that would not understand the truth in Lynss point of them "being sneaky". Great video, my opinion. Regards, John.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 8:39 am 

I always swore the same thing about a couple trucks I drove 20+ years ago. One had a name from the original owners. They named her Rose after their daughter called her that based on her color. Now Rose was a beast before and after her overhaul. She also had a heart of a champion. April of 97 my mother had a heart attack and I found out coming into the yard. Boss said I will call the Illinois state police to keep them off your back as much as possible and get home. For me after I heard it was foot to the floor time and don't lift till I get home. Rose however paid for that run with some major damage she was tired over 1 million miles without being overhauled. I pushed her to hard that day she broke a valve spring on cylinder 4 and ate that exhaust valve cracked piston 3 sitting beside that and #5 also cracked. However the worst damage was in #2 she had an injector tip fail and blew a hole at the end in the injector and then burned a hole in the piston. Plus she slagged her turbo. But she got me home. Boss overhauled her over the next few weeks while I was off work due my own problem I had my appendix go hot and need removed. She came out of the shop stronger than the 444 she was before.

The other truck was a 1998 test engine Freightliner for the last carrier I drove for. Shop called her Misty I called her Lucille why she could make anyone look like a god driving her. This was pre EPA consent decree days in the OTR industry test engine. Detroit was testing their larger engine something to beat CAT and Cummins latest offerings. Then the EPA changed the rules on them and Detroit said screw it lets have FUN. Mine ended up set for 665 and 2250 in torque and while the rest of the fleet was restricted to 68 she along with her 11 sisters would run as fast as the drivers dared to push that pedal. Her favorite tricks were storming the Rockies and Parley in UT and pacing anything she saw on the Santa Fe in AZ.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 3:31 pm 

Mr, Iron,

I'll bet some of your trucker buddies would love that story!!!

Thanks,
PJF

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 8:23 am 

John Risley wrote:
…….If your not an experienced shop person you may not understand how true a statement that can be. I bet there are lots of rail fans out there that would not understand the truth in Lynss point of them "being sneaky"……...

Linn’s mention of the sounds and lack of it, may I add the sounds of a steam locomotive ready to depart is wonderful as well, the constant steady tone of the steam generator with the occasional panting of the steam driven air compressors.

Let us not forget the smell, it hit me at Steamtown when I walked into one of the roundhouse buildings, to those who are really into this, the smell makes you want to stay and get to work! Those here know what I mean, grease, machinery, traces of coal smoke, cinders what ever the combination, it is special and you don’t want to walk away.

Unlike a dog who rolls in it to impress their mate, in this case, after working with heavy machinery you are asked to get the cloths washed and get in the shower!

Regards,

Randy

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 11:31 am 

Randy, well put. I've learned to do my locomotive work clothes at the local laundromat so I don't risk the ire of the boss for putting those " filthy rags" in her nice washing machine.

Live and learn. All good. Ross Rowland