It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Off Topic Request: H16-44 Lowey Style hood
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 11:38 am 

Other than the sketches and few drawings appearing in a Google search, would anyone have a drawing, or drawings of the sculpted car body of the Fairbanks-Morse H16-44 Diesel locomotive? The "modernized" Trainmaster style is not what I need.
PDF's or Tiff files would be great.
Please PM me here if you can help, and thanks!

Attachments:
File comment: Taken from an FM advertisement , circa 1947.
H16-44B.jpg
H16-44B.jpg [ 136.33 KiB | Viewed 4876 times ]

Post subject: Re: Off Topic Request: H16-44 Lowey Style hood
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 11:39 am 

Ironically, it might make sense to reach out to some model manufacturers.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 2:28 pm 

Ed: I tried that while building my 1/8th scale ALCO FA1. It was a "no go" from a very prominent H-O manufacturer. Fortunately, someone on this board heard my cries of anguish in the wild, and sent me a beautiful copy of a very detailed erection drawing in poster format.

The FA1 is almost ready for paint and the motorized trucks are in the finishing stage.

So here I stand, once again turning my mournful howl into the wind, looking for said FM drawing.

A-Ooooooooooooo!

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 9:26 am 

That might be a tough nut to crack. A few years ago, I tried to locate drawings of both the H16-44 and H20-44, Lowey and spartan versions in both cases. The responses to my various inquiries was mostly deafening silence. In my mind, somebody has to have drawings somewhere, especially some of the better model manufacturers that have produced them unless they made an incredible boat load of measurements and photos to come up with their products in which case that info would be proprietary. I went so far as to find out what it would cost to have a detailed laser scan and 3D CAD drawing of an existing car body (very expensive, BTW).

If you have better luck than I, I’d be interested in what you find.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 9:39 am 

Lake States Railroad Historical Society inherited several important personal collections, one of which was a stack of over 100,000 line drawings of Fairbanks Morse Diesel locomotives (privately collected). Problems, is, as we've seen before, it's an all volunteer outfit, swimming upstream to organize the drawings. Nothing has been sorted. Visitors are welcome to come and look through the materials, and copying is available. Unfortunately the daily hours to visit are short. Beloit is a long way from Bangor. On the other hand, if gasoline prices should ever moderate, it's a heck of a road trip.

Another point in this thread is the absolute need for railroad historians/railfans to share what we have and what we know. The idea of holding documentation and selling bits to reinforce your retirement is is a great way to lose stuff forever, when your heirs carry it out to the burn barrel.

So who has quality line drawings of the Lowey design H16-44?

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 10:13 am 

Once more for the remaining drawings, plans, or black line illustrations of the Loewy carbody design of the Fairbanks Morse H15-44 and H16-44 road Diesel.
I've done an exhaustive Google search online, so what I'm looking for are possible prints squirreled away in files or in that pile of stuff "Uncle Lou brought home from the Jersey Central when he retired".

PM me here, if you will.

I will put the images into a file and will post the address here when it's finally accumulated.
Thank you everyone who already contributed.

Post subject: Re: Off Topic Request: H16-44 Loewy Style hood
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 11:47 am 

I have a bad feeling about that Jersey Central thing.

When I first drove down to the terminal building, in the early '70s, the offices inside looked like a set for a nuclear disaster film: it was just as if a normal workday had been interrupted by blast and accident, with overturned desk chairs and piles of blueprints on the floor. I did not take the time to run through them, but I have the grim suspicion no one else ever did either, and that to put it gently 'many were not preserved' when the station renovation work was conducted.

If there is, in fact, a repository of Jersey Central drawings from this source, it might be worth investigating...

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 3:37 pm 

Friends: I promised you all I would gather all the contributions to my quest for H16-44 information. While I haven't named everyone, I want to tell you how much I appreciate your assistance. I may be asked to withdraw some of the publication images, which I will comply. If anyone cares to add other technical drawings please send them to my email addy and I will include them.
The whole purpose of this collection is to assist in modeling various FM road switchers. If you model the H16-44, please send photos as well.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Dick

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 4:38 pm 

Dick - If interested, I have images of P&WV H16-44s in the later, non-Lowey version and also H20-44 in both versions (I think). These are by way of the P&WV HiLine website guys.

[edit] Forgot to add that I have artwork for the rectangular, cast builder's plate if you wanted to get an applique or decal made. I only need to know the dimensions of it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:32 pm 

jayrod wrote:
Dick - If interested, I have images of P&WV H16-44s in the later, non-Lowey version and also H20-44 in both versions (I think). These are by way of the P&WV HiLine website guys.

[edit] Forgot to add that I have artwork for the rectangular, cast builder's plate if you wanted to get an applique or decal made. I only need to know the dimensions of it.

Please share the plate artwork!

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:34 pm 

Richard Glueck wrote:
Friends: I promised you all I would gather all the contributions to my quest for H16-44 information. While I haven't named everyone, I want to tell you how much I appreciate your assistance. I may be asked to withdraw some of the publication images, which I will comply. If anyone cares to add other technical drawings please send them to my email addy and I will include them.
The whole purpose of this collection is to assist in modeling various FM road switchers. If you model the H16-44, please send photos as well.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Dick

Thank you!

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:20 am 

You're welcome, Chris. Eric and others, if you have additional FM detail drawings for the Loewy style Diesel locomotives, use the PM (as opposed to FM) to contact me and we'll add them to the collection.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:19 am 

Thanks from me, too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:19 am 

Thanks from me, too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:49 am 

Additional FM unit images from the Pittsburgh & West Virginia RR have been added, courtesy of Eric Schlentner. Thank you, Eric