It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Steamtown to resume excursions this year
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:29 pm 

superheater wrote:
"Resuming excursions" needs to be qualified:
While it's unreasonable to expect anywhere near the almost 200 excursions that were featured until about 20 years ago, because there's now competition in the form of the Reading and Northern, now offering premium coaches, a big 4-8-4 and a destination that has no equivalent on Steamtown accessible lines,

I disagree... this is a reason to run MORE excursions and advertise them! "Only 2 hours from Reading PA, make sure to visit before or after your excursion behind the #2102"

It's not competition. If I make the trip all the way out to see the Cumbres & Toltec I'm also going to visit Durango. If I make the trip to Carson City for Nevada State RR Museum I'm also going to visit the V&T Railroad and V&T Railway if I can.

We need to partner with each other - we are all on the same mission here!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:48 pm 

Well, no.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no0qB8CVspY

First up, the NPS is legally prohibited from advertising and quite frankly, no private entity is or should be expected to advertise on Steamtowns' behalf, unless it is somehow in their immediate, direct interest.

What you are describing is small scale institutional advertising. IA works well with undifferentiated national scope commodities where a rising tide does lift all boats. That's why you have had commercials for beef "it's what's for dinner" or Avocadoes "Avocadoes from Mexico". Where the product is regional or individualized, it doesn't work, each vendor is attempting to grab more market share through their individual offering. It's also why you don't see national ad campaigns for hominy grits. Your cousin Vinny would simply say "what's a grit"?

Saying "you disagree" usually involves disputing the original assertions. You simply made a declaration involving advertising, which is not an option. My contentions about maintaining and developing operating and mechanical crews, the superiority of R&N's offerings and the lack of a destination were unaddressed.

Post Script:

jsmithebtrr wrote:
Hello everyone! I'm Jonathan and I'm the Director of Sales and Marketing for the EBT Foundation. Thank you all for your continued support of the East Broad Top, and the Foundation, as we continue our effort to restore the EBT and operate it as a world-class heritage attraction. Having grown up volunteering/working in the tourist railroad industry... I am still pinching myself every time I walk into work and am very blessed to be a part of such an important project.

I just wanted to chime in and share a bit of what I've learned this year about what it will take to promote the EBT. I think any discussion about marketing in this industry is essential. At the end of the day, butts in seats keep the lights on and allow us to accomplish our primary goal of education and interpretation. There are plenty of folks on this forum who have marketed railroads, so I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir, but there were some things mentioned in this thread that I wanted to give my two cents on.

Having a healthy marketing mix is crucial to any strategy. This year, we've been focusing on the mediums that will attract "local" attention, either folks that live in the immediate area or are currently inside our immediate area. First, we needed to ensure that those within our county, and the surrounding counties, know that we are reopening. We did this by partnering with local media channels for special interest stories, using as many community event calendars as possible for special events, radio advertisements, sponsorships, and of course, social media. When looking at our ridership data, both payment zip code and survey questions confirm that this strategy worked. The majority of our ridership has come from within the areas that we targeted using those channels. There is still plenty of work to be done to ensure that our community knows that we are on the way back... but as our schedule becomes more consistent and as events return annually, this will happen naturally.

Someone earlier in this thread acknowledged the need for a complete and easy-to-navigate website… which is the most essential part of any marketing strategy to succeed. Facebook, and most other types of promotion, simply direct potential customers to your website… where the rest of the work begins to achieve a conversion. If any information is missing, hard to find, or purchasing is challenging to manage, you will lose their conversion. As our Google Analytics data rolled in, we've worked throughout the summer to address any significant issues and hopefully refine the booking process. For example, as it was originally developed, our website had little "responsive" work completed, meaning that it was challenging to navigate on a mobile device. Most of those issues were quickly rectified, and our mobile bounce rate continues to decline while our website traffic continues to climb. With every ticket purchase, we ask the "how did you hear about this event or ride" question and are constantly collecting internal data about what channels are working.

At the same time, we are beginning to develop a strategic marketing strategy that will allow us to begin promoting on a regional and national level. It has also been pointed out just how important market segmentation is, and we've been slowly learning more about our current demographics. I've generally identified three types of visitors. First, of course, are the railfans. Like me, these folks already know what the EBT is, why it is significant, and are invested in progress updates and want to know when any major events will occur. As with any market, there are still plenty within the enthusiast segement that still haven't heard about the EBT, or don't quite understand what all the fuss is about, so we will continue to explore the best ways to promote within that group. The second segment are the "leisure travelers", which itself must be further segmented into many, many categories (retiree, families, students, adventurer, etc.) These folks seek an authentic, fun, and memorable experience… and expect you to provide that. It is my experience that this segment usually makes up the majority of tourist railroad's ridership... when we say we want to interpret our heritage to new audiences... these are the riders we are talking about! The third segment that we are fortunate to have here at the EBT are what I'm calling the "nostalgic riders". These are the folks who were brought to the EBT as kids, who are returning to bring their kids… or the grandparents bringing two generations to enjoy the railroad. They are definitely predisposed to how amazing the EBT, they have great memories from long ago, and just need a gentle reminder that we were here. Public attention is easy to lose, especially after nearly a decade of being closed.

My final note is about Facebook, and social media in general. I would certainly not consider it a "lazy" way of promoting your product. Many don't realize that, depending on the circumstance, I usually spend between 20-45 minutes preparing each post. I often schedule our posts at least a week in advance so that I can focus on the following week, which requires at least a basic plan and timeline. More significant or involved posts take even longer to craft the right message. There are several types of content you can produce, depending on your goals with that post... and there are 365 days to fill with engaging content. Are you sharing information about a cool project? Are you announcing a new product or service? Are you trying to encourage website traffic, and therefore sales? Are you informing the public about newsworthy events? Are you soliciting donations? What type of photo best conveys what you are trying to say? Can you say what you want to in "short-form" without losing the reader's attention? Which of those is going to be the best candidate to create an advertisement from? Which are likely to gain traction and hopefully grow our audience in the form of followers or likes? Social Media is so much more than just posting a good picture, and is a key part of controlling your narrative and telling your story in any modern market while also being responsible for a large number of conversions within many different segments.

I've enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts and plan to update RYPN on the EBT's behalf when possible. I truly believe that this is one of the greatest comebacks in preservation, railroad or otherwise, and the best is yet to come!

Note what Jonathan says about butts-in-seats. That is and should be the attitude of any operation. Unfortunately, with Steamtown, the pay is the same whether you march or fight. The money allocated to unit is the bulk of its operations, and to the extent that is dictated by pleasing the public, it's visitorship, something that can be compared with other NPS units that matters.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:40 pm 

The mediums might bring in the dead, that isn't really paying butts in seats but with a strategic strategy it's sure to prevail.

About cooperative marketing: decades ago the state of PA funded a venture called the Railroad Heritage Train (or something like that) which was a free discount pass to a large group of historic and tourist railroad attractions within the state. It only lasted one year. I wasn't directly involved, just got a very well produced brochure and card at a TRAIN convention and thought it looked interesting. My guess is it didn't result in the kind of success that made it worth continuing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:18 pm 

“Saying "you disagree" usually involves disputing the original assertions. You simply made a declaration involving advertising, which is not an option. My contentions about maintaining and developing operating and mechanical crews, the superiority of R&N's offerings and the lack of a destination were unaddressed.”

I only disagreed with the part that I quoted, I thought that would be clear.

It’s absolutely an option for me to offer my opinion on advertising and marketing. It’ something that many people do not seem to understand the basics of.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:58 am 

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
“Saying "you disagree" usually involves disputing the original assertions. You simply made a declaration involving advertising, which is not an option. My contentions about maintaining and developing operating and mechanical crews, the superiority of R&N's offerings and the lack of a destination were unaddressed.”

I only disagreed with the part that I quoted, I thought that would be clear. .

"I disagree... this is a reason to run MORE excursions and advertise them! "Only 2 hours from Reading PA, make sure to visit before or after your excursion behind the #2102"

This what you wrote. Clearly, your disagreement is based upon an ignorance of the NPS' prohibition on advertising, and you just failed to consider a limiting factor in an aging and departing crew base.

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:

It’s absolutely an option for me to offer my opinion on advertising and marketing. It’ something that many people do not seem to understand the basics of.

Well that's true, you've just demonstrated your lack of understanding, asserting a common mission where no common interests exist and urging a campaign that cannot exist due to legal prohibitions.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:05 am 

superheater wrote:
Crescent-Zephyr wrote:

I only disagreed with the part that I quoted, I thought that would be clear. .

"I disagree... this is a reason to run MORE excursions and advertise them! "Only 2 hours from Reading PA, make sure to visit before or after your excursion behind the #2102"

This what you wrote. Clearly, your disagreement is based upon an ignorance of the NPS' prohibition on advertising, and you just failed to consider a limiting factor in an aging and departing crew base.

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:

Well that's true, you've just demonstrated your lack of understanding, asserting a common mission where no common interests exist and urging a campaign that cannot exist due to legal prohibitions.

Steamtown has a website, social media, etc. - all forms of advertising. If you don’t know the definition of advertising you have much to learn about the subject.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:48 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
Steamtown has a website, social media, etc. - all forms of advertising. If you don’t know the definition of advertising you have much to learn about the subject.

There is a VAST difference between an informational listing and actual promotional advertising.

The former is usually the equivalent of a phone directory ("what's that?") listing or a "calendar of events" listing in a newspaper or magazine. It tells you the who, what, when, where, and maybe how much.

Proper advertising focuses on the WHY. Why "Eat at Joe's"? Why buy this brand of tires/coffee/tools/beer? Why "ask your doctor if Xebiqaxtal is right for you"? Why take a trip on the EBT/Strasburg/Grand Canyon/WW&F?

ANY government-run park or site that depends on visitation for its existence is derelict in its duty if it does not make basic information about access, visitation, location, services, etc. available through commonly accepted channels--be it a health clinic, a landfill, a licensing office, a Senator's office, or national/state parks. And websites and social media have become THE means where people access such information--no need to write to the tourist bureau of the state/county, go to the library, etc.

Positively promoting a publicly owned resource involves a great deal of subjective presentation and promotion--something that is heavily subject to bias, political whims, and somehow offending some taxpayer somewhere, somehow. Therefore, as a rule it is anathema to government. (Imagine a Department of Motor Vehicles office saying "Come to our office--we know what we're doing, are friendly and efficient, and get you out in one-third the time of those other offices!"............)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:13 pm 

Well... take a look at their social media. They are advertising their excursions and special events. I’m only suggesting that now is a time for them to be planning and operating when railfans are going to be in the area to ride the #2102. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:43 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
Well... take a look at their social media. They are advertising their excursions and special events. I’m only suggesting that now is a time for them to be planning and operating when railfans are going to be in the area to ride the #2102. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

The explicit point of the "no advertising" rule is to not have a government-funded enterprise compete "unfairly" (using monies taken from taxpayers "by force") to compete with private-enterprise operations that don't get that advantage.

This is also a part of why operations such as food service and lodgings at national parks are contracted out to private enterprise. THEY can advertise--at least to some extent.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:08 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
Crescent-Zephyr wrote:

The explicit point of the "no advertising" rule is to not have a government-funded enterprise compete "unfairly" (using monies taken from taxpayers "by force") to compete with private-enterprise operations that don't get that advantage.

This is also a part of why operations such as food service and lodgings at national parks are contracted out to private enterprise. THEY can advertise--at least to some extent.

Ok. Write to them and tell them to stop advertising then. Lol.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:41 pm 

I'm late to the party on this, but looking back on some previous comments, it seems kind of soon for them to be ultra-sounding anything when 3713 is who-knows how far for completion, but I guess anything is possible. I'm surprised they'd pick the 3377 if they really were considering a third locomotive. I figured they'd for that 4-6-4T. Unless it's in poor condition, but I had heard when it was stored/taken out of service, mechanically it was pretty decent. Perhaps it wouldn't be suited for their needs?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:50 pm 

smbtrain wrote:
I'm late to the party on this, but looking back on some previous comments, it seems kind of soon for them to be ultra-sounding anything when 3713 is who-knows how far for completion, but I guess anything is possible. I'm surprised they'd pick the 3377 if they really were considering a third locomotive. I figured they'd for that 4-6-4T. Unless it's in poor condition, but I had heard when it was stored/taken out of service, mechanically it was pretty decent. Perhaps it wouldn't be suited for their needs?

A couple of things:

One of the things that gave me some hope when Superintendent Conway first arrived was a conversation about the shop. She relayed an account about how she had walked around, and after receiving several responses that indicated what she was observing was an open project, she finally asked "how many open projects are there?" The answer was something like 18. Her reaction, the correct one was about the lack of continuity involved in having so many projects where the mechanical staff had to be constantly starting and stopping. I don't think she was there long enough to even begin to resolve that issue and the CNJ 1021 issue proves that boutique services entail fidelity and surety risks.

Second, your question about opening a second can of worms is justified. The rehabilitation of the NKP 514 was initiated while the long delayed Baldwin 26 program was still ongoing. This was problematic on several fronts. First, it pulled staff away from from an immediate need at a time when the staff was already stretched. Second diesel rebuilding services are are readily, externally available (I had heard that NS' Thoroughbred Mechanical Services had made a very reasonable, to the point of generosity fixed price offer to do the necessary rebuild, but I don't have "proof" of such an offer). It was only after the prime mover block was sent out that it was discovered that a core swap was necessary, adding further delays) and third is the efforts to complete the project, did not augment the necessary core competencies required to rehabilitate and maintain steam locomotives. The skills and experience acquired are unlikely to be reused in the near future as the 514 should enjoy many years of low-intensity trouble free usage. There were huge opportunity costs incurred in rehabbing 514, even if the explicit financial costs were not exorbitant and we can say it was was successful completed.

(There was an article about the GP9 inTrains some years ago. It extolled its virtues of utility, simplicity, durability and reliability. The author might have understated the case-it really is a fantastic piece of machinery.)

With regard to the 4-6-4T (CN47), I think, in some respects in would be a useful operating engine, especially if it was used as an interpretive and operational stand in for the similar CNJ engines. The downside is that it has sat neglected and unprotected for decades, so it has certainly degraded. I think this engine was parked for lack of a Form 4 in Bellows Falls, so that's a long time. Operationally, the bunker provides limited range and would require more frequent reloading than an engine with a tender. Given the lack of a coaling tower, that means probable frequent runs to the coaling dock and a reloading along the Carbondale line, if used for Northbound runs.

In the discussions leading up to and in the early days of the friends group, we noted that the 3713 will present challenges. It's an 80" drivered thoroughbred being asked to pull a plow in running up the Pocono Main. We had advised that although there's always been some question about flange/rail wear with running a no-trailing truck engine in reverse on a line with those grades and curvatures; the IC 790 (2-8-0) would be worth a look. It would be happy running in the new normal 25-30mph allowable max.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:01 pm 

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:

Let's factor one other little bit of an (alleged) issue into this.

Supposedly, the R&N is "at odds" with Steamtown NHS. I have no idea whether it's commercial rivalry for passenger excursion dollars, some aspect of railroad corporate business/competition, political/philosophical differences, or even someone saying the wrong thing to the wrong person at the wrong time.

If this is true, and the fact remains that the R&N is a "class act" doing a lot of things a LOT better than Steamtown both logistically and physically, you don't want to "stir the pot" by appearing to be crashing their parties. There could come a day when the R&N could be doing Steamtown some big favors if asked or paid--shop work, borrowing coaches, whatever

I used to live about two hours away from both Port Clinton and Scranton. And I would NEVER have dreamed of attempting to do both operations in one weekend.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:05 pm 

I realize that her drivers are larger than 2317's, but will 3713 be all that different operationally on this line than 2317 was? I remember reading that 2317 handled 10 cars fairly easily, which, at least right now, would be quite a bit longer a train than necessary, unless 3713 brings a substantial boost in ridership.

John

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:44 pm 

rem1028 wrote:
I realize that her drivers are larger than 2317's, but will 3713 be all that different operationally on this line than 2317 was? I remember reading that 2317 handled 10 cars fairly easily, which, at least right now, would be quite a bit longer a train than necessary, unless 3713 brings a substantial boost in ridership.

John

I think it might be fine as long as there wasn't wet/leafy rail, but that's more the rule than the exception in October headed East when the leafers come to enjoy the colors and crisp air. I always remember the occasional stops at Winton presented a challenge starting the train with a long load.

I remember being in the cab as a watchmen/student fireman a couple of times with relatively long trains lashed to 2317. I do remember once the stoker crapped out at Myrtle street and I think we had something like 10 cars and our fireman tried valiantly to hand bomb it, but soon realized that was beyond his capacity.

2317 was actually a freight engine at times in Canada. There is/was a picture of it in revenue service in the crew room.

I think it's worth remembering that on a 2% grade, 2% of the train weight is translated to drawbar resistance. Spitballing, if the average coach is 60 tons, then ten coaches are 1.2 million pounds and so 24,000 pounds of tractive effort is used for the resultant gravity vector, plus whatever the initial rolling of the train is where you are trying to start.

B&M 3713 produces about 40.9K starting TE, where as CP2317 has 46.6K starting TE.

So your TE available to accelerate is 16.9K, rather 22.6K

I'm guessing the booster on the 3713 adds some starting oomph too.

And this is all hypothetical, affected by weather, track conditions, coal quality, parasitic use of steam for coaches..

As I recall, none of the railroads that dealt with the Poconos had 80" drivered Pacifics. The DL&W M-1 Hudsons did, but also were rated for 52.8K, within a few hundred pounds of the CN Mikados.

Ultimately experience will determine the maximum. In looking up the above figures, I was reminded that in July 1995, when the fatal accident occurred, the 2317 had 11 coaches and 572 passengers.

In the last years I was up there, I think our best ridership was around 300. You can comfortably get 60 people into a coach, so you'll only need five. It's my understanding that right now, there are less than six coaches that are COTS and ready to go.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next