It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: UNION PACIFIC TO DONATE CHALLENGER 3985 & OTHER EQUIPMENT
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:18 pm 

From Union Pacific Steam Club email list:

"We're pleased to announce that we have donated a small portion of our heritage fleet to the non-profit Railroading Heritage of Midwest America (RRHMA). The donation allows Union Pacific to focus on our remaining fleet, which includes the world's largest steam locomotive, the Big Boy UP 4014, and the fastest, the Living Legend UP 844.

The donation includes the following equipment from Union Pacific's Steam Shop in Cheyenne, Wyoming:

4-6-6-4 Challenger UP 3985
Class TTT 2-10-2 UP 5511
The Centennial UP 6936
E9B passenger locomotive shell
Four 1950s coach cars
Diner-Lounge car
Baggage car
Caboose
Two business cars: the Selma, previously Western Pacific's Feather River, and the Stanford, originally the 1928 Southern Pacific Sunset
"Union Pacific is proud to be the only Class I railroad with steam locomotives on its roster, part of the finest heritage fleet in the world," said Scott Moore, senior vice president – Corporate Relations and chief administrative officer. "We are pleased with RRHMA's plans to restore the donated equipment for the public to enjoy. Union Pacific remains dedicated to the maintenance and operation of our remaining heritage fleet, including hosting future tours and sharing UP 4014 and UP 844 with the rail community."

Union Pacific will move the equipment to RRHMA's shop in Silvis, Illinois, later this year. RRHMA plans a multi-year, multi-million-dollar restoration of the equipment, including restoring the steam locomotives to operating condition.

"The RRHMA is a wonderful home for this historic equipment," said Ed Dickens, steam locomotive engineer and Steam Program manager. "Railfans will look forward to seeing UP 3985 and UP 5511 return to the rails, as well as enjoy the opportunity to experience the various cars being donated."

More information about moving these locomotives from Cheyenne to Silvis, Illinois will come later. As always, we'll keep Steam Club members updated.

West Coast Steam Tour

Planning continues for the Big Boy UP 4014's "West Coast Steam Tour" continues. We don't have updated dates yet, but when we do, Steam Club members will be the first to know!

That's all for now. Until next time, stay safe!

Union Pacific Steam Club"

Post subject: Re: UNION PACIFIC TO DONATE CHALLENGER 3985 & OTHER EQUIPMEN
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:28 pm 

Well this is definitely the biggest news this year. Easily going to be top 3 for the decade.

This my friends is why you never say never. Situations are never truly concrete. Ever.

I am particularly interested in 5511. Supposedly this locomotive is in immaculate condition. In the past I have heard rumors saying “it would only take a couple of weeks to restore”. I don’t know the truth to this but given that it could potentially be the first American built 2-10-2 to operate since the end of steam, that is an exciting prospect.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:33 pm 

Steamguy73 wrote:
Well this is definitely the biggest news this year. Easily going to be top 3 for the decade.

This my friends is why you never say never. Situations are never truly concrete. Ever.

I am particularly interested in 5511. Supposedly this locomotive is in immaculate condition. In the past I have heard rumors saying “it would only take a couple of weeks to restore”. I don’t know the truth to this but given that it could potentially be the first American built 2-10-2 to operate since the end of steam, that is an exciting prospect.

And isn't 5511 unique in being one of the few remaining engines equipped with Young valve gear? I've heard the immaculate condition thing too... I doubt that if it had issues it would've been retained for as long as it has. And hasn't it been stored inside as well?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:35 pm 

Just as important is it will be at a location where all that equipment (when operable) will be able to actually run. Much better than ending up somewhere which only a mile or two to operate on.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:42 pm 

Wow. Not sure I would call this a "small piece" of their heritage fleet but it seems like great news overall. I've been wondering what they would do with 3985, and was hoping it would be something other than have it sit in the roundhouse for 20 years.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:51 pm 

Very interesting. The equipment will surely be in better hands than it is currently, but I'm a little skeptical of the restoration plans. It doesn't seem like 261 gets out very often so the feasibility and finances to support three operating engines seems a little suspect. I'm looking forward to hearing more details.

I assume 3985 would be sent with 4014's coal tender.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:03 pm 

daylight4449 wrote:
Steamguy73 wrote:

And isn't 5511 unique in being one of the few remaining engines equipped with Young valve gear? I've heard the immaculate condition thing too... I doubt that if it had issues it would've been retained for as long as it has. And hasn't it been stored inside as well?

Funny enough, I've heard the opposite, that quite a few of the important bits have been stolen out of the cab, and the boiler is in pretty rough shape from it being used as a stationary boiler. The piston rods were torched when it was moved. It also does not have a blind center driver, it has solid bearings, and the tender behind it is pretty small.

I'm not really hung up on the #5511 ever operating, it'd be neat but it seems unlikely, but being somewhere that's more readily available for viewing is nice.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:06 pm 

I'm unfamiliar with the group this stuff is going to, but from the list, it does make some sense. 5511 was never going to run for the UP again from what I've read over the years.
Like many of you, I've heard that this 2-10-2 could have steamed with very little effort and I've heard it's been in the roundhouse all this time. But the post above points out that we all hear different stuff and I hardly profess to know anything concrete about 5511.
They still have 838, that other FEF, but I'm sure they'll keep it for spares (hangar queen, in aviation speak) for 844.
BM765 wrote:
I assume 3985 would be sent with 4014's coal tender.
If I were UP, I'd do it that way.
I assume this museum wouldn't be considering getting 3985 running again?
Some would say that 3985 should stay because she'd been there all those years, but they have 4004, another Big Boy in Lions Park (along with ten-wheeler 1242), so big UP steam is on display anytime you wanna see it there.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:10 pm 

I am wondering if all the "spare parts" that were made while they were making parts for 4014 will also go with the locomotive? If 4014's tender goes with it, I understand it needs lots of work, besides still being outfitted for coal burning.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:17 pm 

I was under the impression that 5511 was never restored because of the speed element. It can only ever go 40 miles and hour tops, plus the fuel storage. A problem for back then, certainly not one now. I just find it interesting because it would be the first American built 2-10-2 to operate since probably the DM&IR when they operated theirs in the late 50’s. Simply a unique locomotive that I hope gets to have a chance.

And in the release it was made pretty clear the intention is (currently) to get both running: 3985 and 5511. They made mention of the fact that Silvis has the cranes to lift the boilers.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:18 pm 

Seems to me they may be better off keeping it an oil burner given the uncertain availability of coal suitable for steam locomotives.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:29 pm 

Railfan and Railroad Article:

Quote:
SILVIS, Ill. — Union Pacific has agreed to donate more than a dozen pieces of historic railroad equipment — including one of the world’s largest steam locomotives to run in the preservation era and a rare 2-10-2 that hasn’t run in decades — to the non-profit Railroading Heritage of Midwest America.

Officials with Railroading Heritage of Midwest America, which also owns Milwaukee Road 4-8-4 261 and recently acquired the former Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad shop complex in Silvis, Ill., said it plans to restore both steam locomotives, 4-6-6-4 ‘Challenger’ 3985 and 2-10-2 5511, to operating condition. The Challenger will be restored first and 5511 will follow.

“Our dream, of course, is to see this equipment operate,” said Steve Sandberg, president and chief operating officer of the non-profit.

https://railfan.com/up-donates-two-stea ... run-again/

This is huge news, and makes it very clear that the intent is to get this equipment back up and running. Silvis, IL is going to be one of the railroad Meccas in the coming years.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:39 pm 

p51 wrote:
I'm unfamiliar with the group this stuff is going to, but from the list, it does make some sense. 5511 was never going to run for the UP again from what I've read over the years.
Like many of you, I've heard that this 2-10-2 could have steamed with very little effort and I've heard it's been in the roundhouse all this time. But the post above points out that we all hear different stuff and I hardly profess to know anything concrete about 5511.

Probably it falls somewhere between those two. While the boiler condition is a big question mark, I do know for a fact that the piston rods have definitely been torched off. I've seen the photos of them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:47 pm 

Silvis being served by the steam friendly Iowa Interstate give me hope that we'll see some great things in the near future!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:49 pm 

Interesting they've kept the 838, you'd think they've basically made all the extra parts they might need, and at this point wouldn't want to cannibalize more of it.

Also interesting they've let go of the dd40 but kept the E units ( thankfully)

can't see an independent museum group etc restoring the 3985. But the 2-10-2 would be neat.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next