It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Jim Wrinn
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:08 pm 

From what I understand he had been battling cancer privately for some time. Wrinn was probably one of the most influential personalities in the industry so far this century. Condolences to his family.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:39 pm 

Photo of Jim and his wife Cate in Clewiston, FL, two months ago for the TRAINS Magazine photo charter with US Sugar no. 148.

Jim not only supported a number of preservation projects through TRAINS, most notably Western Maryland Scenic no 1309, but he skillfully navigated a changing media world, knowing that as print declined new revenue streams would have to be developed. He pushed digital products and captured video wherever he went. The photo charters not only capitalized on the magazine's brand but were quintessential Jim Wrinn - a chance to bring people together to socialize, celebrate and enjoy our common interests in steam and railway history.

With Jim's passing, many of us have lost a personal friend and all of us have lost a passionate voice for our industry and our avocation.

Alan Maples

Attachments:
Jim and Cate Jan 28 2022 Clewsiton Florida .jpg
Jim and Cate Jan 28 2022 Clewsiton Florida .jpg [ 157.31 KiB | Viewed 5788 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:50 pm 

Boilermaker wrote:
From what I understand he had been battling cancer privately for some time. Wrinn was probably one of the most influential personalities in the industry so far this century. Condolences to his family.

He had posted about it often and in detail on Facebook. It was truly amazing to see how he dealt with the awfulness of chemo with humor and optimism. His last illness-related post was March 13; he was too fatigued to take chemo again so they were giving him fluids via IV. Of course, there’s a photo of him smiling ear-to-ear while he’s working on his laptop. On the 19th, he posted a memory of running the No. 1925 at Spencer. On the 21st, his page is filled with well-wishes for his birthday.

RIP Jim.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:49 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Boilermaker wrote:

Specifically, pancreatic "the c-word."
One RR history acquaintance, one fellow railfan, and one other historian/re-enactor friend all were hit with pancreatic c*****; all were dead within two weeks of diagnosis. One died an hour before I showed up at the hospital to see him, when I thought I had at least some weeks to see him. He had only entered days earlier, and I was told the previous night.

In that measure, "Wrinnbo" put up a helluva fight and beat the odds, staying around just long enough for the rebirth of C&O 1309 and RGS 20.

In the ever-expanding debate over social media's worth, I've quickly learned how to tell who has Facebook and who doesn't. The ones who don't are shocked at the news; the one who properly use Facebook knew this had to be coming. He was hardly private about it at all, openly updating his "FB friends" (and Jim would "friend" just about anyone that ever contacted him except MAYBE exceeding polite Nigerian financing proposers and people hawking pills to do things to certain naughty bits--because that was Jim, where every stranger was "a friend you haven't met yet".....) on his "rat poison" infusions while using even the term "the c-word" as seldom as possible. Jim was private in some ways, but to be honest, it almost seems "not Jim" that the services will be private. It seems we all have to go get a sixpack of Cheerwine and Ale-8 and drink up over slide shows of the North Carolina Transportation Museum and SR and NS steam...........

One thing I start to fret about, however:
For years Kalmbach Publishing/Media has been trying to lurch Trains Magazine further towards more industry news and coverage, at times to the expense of more typical "railfan" and history coverage. In addition, now every issue is an annual themed issue, overtly or more subtly. This is driven by advertising, plain and simple. Advertising pays for the paper of a magazine or newspaper; your payment or subscription pays (they hope) for the content. As a newspaper guy, Jim knew this intimately, but he still privately chafed at the trend. Note that what had been the annual Christmas-themed issue in December is gone. Jim was one of the loudest advocates at Kalmbach for coverage of rail preservation and history. Now he and his two fellow advocates, Kevin Keefe and Rob McGonigal, are retired, and Carl Swanson is over at Model Railroader.

But it IS 2022. What (kinda) worked in the days of Morgan and Ingles probably wouldn't work today, even if tried. And there's no cosmetics, tobacco, diet-pill, or wedding industry desperate to buy advertising in the pages of Trains............

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:21 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
https://www.facebook.com/visitnctm/post ... 0331786653

Quote:
The North Carolina Transportation Museum Foundation is honored to have been selected by Jim Wrinn and Cate Kratville-Wrinn for donations to be made in Jim’s memory. We have set up a restricted fund for the Graham County Shay No. 1925, the locomotive that Jim loved as a boy and helped to preserve and operate at the North Carolina Transportation Museum. With the support of your donations to that fund, our first step will be to conduct a study to determine the feasibility of restoring and operating the locomotive.
Donations may be made by mail to: NCTMF, PO Box 69, Spencer, NC 28159, or online at https://www.nctransportationmuseum.org/donation/. Please note “In Memory of Jim Wrinn” on your donation, and designate your donation for Graham County Shay No. 1925. Unless otherwise specified, all donations made “In Memory of Jim Wrinn” will be directed to the Graham County Shay No. 1925. If you have any questions, you may contact our Director of Development, Betsy Mowery, at betsy.mowery@nctransportationmuseum.org or call 704-636-2889.
We all share the sorrow from the passing of a great friend, and we appreciate your support in his memory.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:22 am 

I was just thinking that would be an appropriate tribute. And as luck would have it I will be in Spencer tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:10 pm 

A post by Union Pacific's Twitter Account:
Union Pacific @UnionPacific wrote:
On March 30, the rail community lost a truly great journalist and friend when @TrainsMagazine's Jim Wrinn passed away following a 14-month battle against pancreatic cancer. His integrity & love for all things rail were evident in every word.

Our condolences to the Wrinn family.
Attachment:
FPL0EWfWYAcYTQ0-800x600.jpeg
FPL0EWfWYAcYTQ0-800x600.jpeg [ 71.08 KiB | Viewed 5312 times ]

Attachment:
FPL0GecXoAY1qPG-800x600.jpeg
FPL0GecXoAY1qPG-800x600.jpeg [ 85.25 KiB | Viewed 5312 times ]
10:33 AM · Mar 31, 2022

And a post from Union Pacific Steam's Twitter Account:

UP Steam @UP_Steam wrote:
We fondly look back & remember seeing Jim Wrinn patiently waiting alongside the track out west on the Wyoming plain or patiently waiting perched atop museum equipment as the Big Boy made its first steps in over 50 years. A true professional in every sense.

Steam on our friend.
Attachment:
FPL5VeMXEAQ3N79-800x600.jpeg
FPL5VeMXEAQ3N79-800x600.jpeg [ 111.85 KiB | Viewed 5312 times ]

10:52 AM · Mar 31, 2022·

[Note: I had to shrink UP's photographs down to 800x600 for RYPN - the twitter posts that I've linked to have 4032x3024 versions of the photographs.]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:14 pm 

Here is a good obit on Jim written by George Hamlin.
https://cs.trains.com/trn/b/observation ... acter.aspx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:57 pm 

A fresh pic of 1925, taken in Jim's memory

ImageGraham County Shay No. 1925 by Mark Hedges, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:43 pm 

Another tribute this weekend:

Quote:
Grand Canyon Railway is featuring a special Steam Saturday this weekend in honor of Earth Day and to commemorate the passing of Jim Wrinn, the longtime editor of Trains Magazine.
Visit http://www.thetrain.com to book your tickets for Steam Saturday.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=990420454944058

Attachments:
Screenshot 2022-04-21 at 20-41-25 (6) Watch Facebook.png
Screenshot 2022-04-21 at 20-41-25 (6) Watch Facebook.png [ 508.87 KiB | Viewed 4607 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:03 am 

I also saw that they are planning a tribute to him at the Trains photoshoot at AOS next month (which I will be attending).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:35 am 

I just wanted to mention that it has been a full year since we lost Jim.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:11 pm 

Initial stages of the restoration of 1925 are under way. The cylinders have been removed and the boiler stripped down to take thickness measurements. Here are some pics from when we were in Spencer for the St. Patricks Day dinner train ("writing" in the dust by the loco number not done by me)

ImageShay 1925 by Mark Hedges, on Flickr

ImageUntitled by Mark Hedges, on Flickr