It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Don Ross Obituary ( Don's Depot Railroad Photos )
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:14 pm 

Don Ross Funeral Service Update: Correction of day of service and viewing.

The viewing will be held 30 minutes before the service at the Church. A reminder that the time and place for the service is Tuesday, February 8th at ten o'clock at the Holy Family Nazareth Catholic Church, 2323 Cheyenne St, Dallas, TX., with the burial at the Calvary Hill Cemetery, 3235 Lombardy, Dallas, TX.

Harry Nicholls

Post subject: Re: Don Ross Obituary ( Don's Depot Railroad Photos )
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:47 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
From IRM's Facebook page (well, one of them):

Quote:
We are sad to say that Don Ross, a longtime member of IRM, has died at the age of 90. Don was well known in part because of his huge and well-researched photo website, Don's Depot Rail Photos, but his history with IRM goes back many years. After serving in the Korean War, he joined our organization in the mid-1950s when we were still the Illinois Electric Railway Museum, located on the grounds of a foundry in North Chicago, IL. He helped acquire our Illinois Terminal Birney and he purchased the last IT sleeping car, the "Peoria," which was later donated to the museum. He played an instrumental role in IRM moving to its current site in Union when in the late 1950s he discovered the abandoned piece of right-of-way that now serves as our main line. And he was the first editor of "Rail & Wire," the museum's newsletter, starting with issue #1 in February 1957. Don played an enormous role in the early development of IRM and his death is a tremendous loss to us and to the entire railroad history community.
A far more comprehensive account of Don's life, told in his own words, can be found at https://donsdepot.donrossgroup.net/dr077.htm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:22 pm 

It looks like the website expired on 04/20/2022 and is pending renewal or deletion. Is somebody working on archiving/preserving this extremely valuable site?
https://donsdepot.donrossgroup.net/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:21 pm 

Don had paid for the site renewal for 2 more years before he died. Now, SMU, DeGolyer Library, is owner of the Depot site. I shall check on the renewed status when I get back in the office Monday. Thanks for the heads-up on a problem. Contact me if you need any other information.

Harry Nicholls
Dallas
214-941-9705 evenings

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:12 pm 

After 2 hours of chasing responsible persons (on two different webs), The Don's Depot Web is again active. Just a short update, The Depot web site and domain name are the property of the Southern Methodist University, DeGolyer Library, including all of Don's railroad collection. It will be some time, due to legal filings, before the site has any alterations. We presently have no way of fulfilling requests for photographs, but SMU/DeGolyer will keep the website active and maintained. All of the photos and slides are in accessible storage until the material is archived and digitized, which will take some months.

For information and help, I will be one contact that may be called if any need arises. I do not represent the DeGolyer, but I am a consultant on this collection, ownership, reviewing and working with Don's collection. Feel to contact me at 214-941-9705, my home number in the evenings and week ends, and via my emails as shown below.

Harry Nicholls
214-941-9705
h_k_nicholls@peoplepc.com
HarryNicholls@Gmail.com
P O Box 224288
Dallas, TX 75222-4288