It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: So...While You Were Beaching..2102
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 3:26 pm 

I think Steamfan765 was referring to the possibility of 2102’s possible legality of turning on NS’ wye in Reading.

To that, I don’t think it would be illegal, but I just don’t think they’d be happy to accommodate it every single time. Especially considering 2102 also still has plain bearings if I am not mistaken.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 3:30 pm 

I can't see NS being ok with this other than a very seldom occurrence. I mean is there any tourist/excursion line that regularly operates over NS trackage rights etc?

Wouldn't be too far fetched to eventually see R&N installing a larger turntable in N Reading somewhere.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 3:44 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
NJDixon wrote:
They don't have to have PTC. The R&N isn't a Class I and they don't have regularly scheduled intercity passenger service

I would suggest that, strictly speaking, they're getting to that point...............

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 3:49 pm 

CA1 wrote:
I can't see NS being ok with this other than a very seldom occurrence. I mean is there any tourist/excursion line that regularly operates over NS trackage rights etc?

Wouldn't be too far fetched to eventually see R&N installing a larger turntable in N Reading somewhere.

Yes, Tennessee Valley did up until very recently - and that’s because of an issue with a bridge.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 4:47 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
NJDixon wrote:
They don't have to have PTC. The R&N isn't a Class I and they don't have regularly scheduled intercity passenger service

I would suggest that, strictly speaking, they're getting to that point...............

Point well made

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 6:35 pm 

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
CA1 wrote:

Yes, Tennessee Valley did up until very recently - and that’s because of an issue with a bridge.

To my knowledge, the Grapevine Vintage Railroad runs over the Union Pacific mainline to connect from its base in Grapevine, TX to get to the Fort Worth Stockyards. So it is a thing elsewhere...

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 7:25 pm 

765 just ran over CSX unassisted for a ferry move, for what it's worth. Not NS but still worth mentioning.

I was also in Jim Thorpe trackside today. At one point when the crowd was waiting for the train I noticed a man on a bike talking to a police officer. It was Andy Muller, making sure that the day's events were running smoothly. His OCS backed into the station shortly after 2102 left.

A class act.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 8:02 pm 

mcgrath618 wrote:
765 just ran over CSX unassisted for a ferry move, for what it's worth. Not NS but still worth mentioning.

I was also in Jim Thorpe trackside today. At one point when the crowd was waiting for the train I noticed a man on a bike talking to a police officer. It was Andy Muller, making sure that the day's events were running smoothly. His OCS backed into the station shortly after 2102 left.

A class act.

I also had a chat with Andy Muller and got a photo with him. I profusely thanked him for everything that he does. Another gentleman was telling me that his son asked Andy if he could see the inside of the Black Diamond observation car. Andy said it wasn't a good time because his dogs were aboard but gave the kid the phone number for his secretary and said "Call her and we'll set you up with a tour of the car at Port Clinton some time."

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 10:43 am 

Hello,

Seeing the videos coming into YouTube on the trip yesterday.

With my preference being on a Reading 6-chime whistle, was it a 6-chime they had on it yesterday?? Admittedly in recent years my point of reference was hearing the 6 chime on the SRR 90 & R&N 425.

Something seemed off yesterday, maybe it’s the cell phone audio or something else, seemed like it had a slight high chime?

By chance was it another whistle or was it a full blooded Reading 6-chime?

Thought many of you on this forum, veterans or someone close to the operation may know.

The 90 and 425 have boiler pressures 30-40 psi lower but wouldn’t think the tone difference would be dramatic. Also, would branching or extra fittings, tee, a manifold, etc have and effect? The hooter whistle was attached as well, yes?

Maybe in person it is much different.

Regardless still very, very impressive! Glad it was a sell out.

Hope I can ride later this year.

Thank you.

Randy

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 11:04 am 

Hello,

These are challenge times, inflation and making our way forward, is tough.

For any of these operation, please do not just watch and follow, save your money and drop the cash…..ALL these operations need our support, if you chase, buy a ticket anyway, if you can. For me the in-cab experience last year was worth EVERY penny.

The future is the Wild West, cherish what you have before it is gone, regulatory compliance, air quality, even on minimal emissions amounts accounting can be brutal. You think a historic coal fired locomotive occasional run is immune, think again. You get a young regulatory air quality engineer who feels they have public support for better air quality, they have the discretion to ratchet up the compliance pressure.

We need to support these operations any way we can individually in order that they can sustain and invest on not only preservation but what new changes they may need to make to keep it up. Based on my day job, seeing thick particulate matter makes me cringe when my equipment is so heavily scrutinized for opacity (which is not even close to an issue with modern engine control computers)

It doesn’t have to be black smoke, steam is good too…..or it may not steam at all…..food for thought.

Regards,

Randy

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 11:05 am 

It was indeed a Reading 6-chime. They had the hooter on it as well and used both whistles throughout the day. It's actually the same 6-chime that #425 has worn in the past.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 11:09 am 

“if you chase, buy a ticket anyway“

Please do not do this. Make a donation in the amount of the ticket but do not buy a ticket that you do not plan on using. It takes seats away from those who are wanting to ride.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 11:24 am 

NJDixon wrote:
I also had a chat with Andy Muller and got a photo with him. I profusely thanked him for everything that he does.

I unfortunately did not get a chance to thank him yesterday while the train was in Jim Thorpe. Might anyone know of a way I could send a thank you note, either online or by mail? I feel like it is necessary after having such a stupendous time on the trip yesterday. Thank you to anyone who can help!

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 12:32 pm 

Corey Page wrote:
NJDixon wrote:
I also had a chat with Andy Muller and got a photo with him. I profusely thanked him for everything that he does.

I unfortunately did not get a chance to thank him yesterday while the train was in Jim Thorpe. Might anyone know of a way I could send a thank you note, either online or by mail? I feel like it is necessary after having such a stupendous time on the trip yesterday. Thank you to anyone who can help!

I don't have an address but I would think that if you mailed a letter to the Port Clinton headquarters, they could get it to the right place

Last edited by NJDixon on Sun May 29, 2022 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 1:52 pm 

mcgrath618 wrote:

765 has a long and very good track record and well trained crew. 2102 is fresh from a major rebuild. And it wasn't that long ago the thought of a steamer locomotice on CSX was out of the question.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next