It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Who is on your BOD and why?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:29 am 

rmne1887 wrote:
I believe a BOD should refer to a “for profit” company whose profits are used to further the goals of that company.

I think a BOT should refer to a “non-profit” organization whose trustees have a responsibility to further the goals of the non-profit.
In one sense yes. But in California the State's Corporation Code uses the term Board of Directors for both profit and non-profit corporations.

And California differentiates non-profits into three different kinds: Religious, Mutual Benefit, and Public Benefit. Mutual Benefit is for organizations as Home Owner Associations, Golf Clubs and other such organizations only providing benefit for a limited group of people. Public Benefit are for organizations operating for service or education to the general public without restriction -- museums and historical societies fall into this group.

How, in the past when I on a Board of Directors and was attending meetings of museum or archival professionals, I would tend to say that I was a trustee or maybe a member of the board of directors. This because the term Director or Museum Director was (and is) often used to denote the top executive officer of a museum.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:58 am 

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
Is your entire board made up of middle aged / older white males?

"This is none of your business."

Shaming people because of their age, sex or race should not be tolerated.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:29 am 

484Mike wrote:
Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
Is your entire board made up of middle aged / older white males?

"This is none of your business."

Shaming people because of their age, sex or race should not be tolerated.

Mike

I’ll take that as a yes? :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:47 am 

"Instead the professor that both the students and faculty alike wanted to keep was protected from an over cellist administration under direction of a self serving university president."

They wanted to have more professors teaching music students to play the cello instead? Not sure I understand this comment.

Getting back to the point that no community support and self sustainability was supposedly desirable, hell no. People paying for services from a nonprofit is community support. Local grants to support projects are community support. Private donors are community support. Volunteering is community support. I'd suggest that if you are limiting your revenue stream to that provided by train ride tickets only your self limiting behavior does not bode well for long term sustainable success.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:23 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Dave wrote:
"Instead the professor that both the students and faculty alike wanted to keep was protected from an over cellist administration under direction of a self serving university president."

They wanted to have more professors teaching music students to play the cello instead? Not sure I understand this comment.

Somebody using a dictation app, or who was the victim of "auto-correct," or who never learned any better, misspelled "overzealous." That's my presumption.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:35 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
Dave wrote:

Somebody using a dictation app, or who was the victim of "auto-correct," or who never learned any better, misspelled "overzealous." That's my presumption.

When one needs an example as to why people are leabing this board they can look to the above post. The poster has been hostile to my duslexia and the moderators continue to ignore it

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:52 pm 

“Instead the professor that both the students and faculty alike wanted to keep was protected from an over cellist administration under direction of a self serving university president.”

This is why there should be diversity on a BOD as well. A museum president and board should not be unified on being self serving. There should be some tension and multiple points of view.

If you want a private club where you get to do exactly what you want to do, that’s fine. But a successful museum that will grow and flourish needs diverse interests and points of view from the clientele, members, and leadership.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:29 pm 

How can I be hostile to a condition I knew nothing about? I was confused about the words posted which made little sense to me in context. I have cataracts and am half deaf thanks to locomotive and heavy machinery noise for decades myself...... but I try to be as clear and literal as possible to avoid misunderstanding when commenting publicly. Apologies for any unintentional offense.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6