It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: CNJ Coach-John Rimmasch and Wasatch Criminally Indicted!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:43 pm 

I'm not an expert, but I would assume if John insisted on sock puppet accounts here or continues to state things on social media all before his trial date in February; that any or all statements he makes could be used against him as part of his court date... so I am honestly shocked by his cavalier attitude on these forums with an alt-account, his statements on social media describing his glory days (and even a desire to write a book!) or his willingness to openly show his face at train shows and other enthusiast events right now.

It seems to me the actions of a man who is convinced he is going to get away from this; either due to confidence that he can prove his innocence, or he fails to grasp the severity of the situation and won't believe he has done anything wrong until the Feds have him cuffed and in prison for wire fraud... not to mention the bankruptcy of his business that is also ongoing as we speak. If I was in his shoes, I would have taken a plea deal to try and escape the potential of jail time to then try and be able to have some focus on salvaging the business before both ships sunk. Or at the very least, I would have gone social media dark; avoided all forums and public outings and tried to keep a low profile at least to ensure I wasn't handing prosecutors new fodder to use against me.

Color me surprised if he manages to prove his innocence in the court next month, but as it seems now the dude is just digging his own grave while shouting to the air that he's just "doing fine!" Going to be interesting to see how the Wasatch bankruptcy is handled if John is behind federal bars at the end of this.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:00 pm 

6-18003 wrote:
From what I remember, the contract involved restoration but also modification to the car to make it handicap accessible. Apparently there was a discrepancy between what was described in the RFP and what SNHS expected at the end of the contract, and work was halted while this was sorted out. I believe the contract was amended at that point but it’s been difficult to get information about this car.

I believe you may be conflating this restoration with another stalled project. There is a gutted coach that was supposed to be converted to an ADA accessible car, but it is still inside the Steamtown shop.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:20 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Donald Cormack wrote:
co614 wrote:
I wondered how long it would take before John Rimmasch showed up under a phony name. Now we know.

And just like that, the suspicious poster disappears...

There's another possible explanation.

As I recall, the "disappeared" post in question made personal attacks on Mr. Rowland, something that is usually verboten here.

There are two general defenses to this, however: Either the discussion of a majorly public event in the public record (such as criminal charges, bankruptcy, etc.), OR discussing an individual who made the choice to thrust himself into the public spotlight and thrive in celebritydom--your Kardashians, your rap stars, your sports pros, etc. Our field is/has been replete with a scant few "celebrity personalities" who don't/didn't shy away from the limelight--David P. Morgan, Jack Showalter, Ed Dickens, Jim Boyd, Doyle McCormack, the Claytors.................. but above and beyond by far Mr. Rowland.

It still should have been deleted.............. but it wasn't the obvious case it might have appeared to be.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:20 pm 

Last edited by superheater on Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:37 pm 

superheater wrote:
A Half liter of water (close to a typical 16 oz cup) heated an additional degree C (1.8F) would contain 0.58 watt-hours of energy. (Assumes a complete thermal energy transfer)

The public disrepute for this case didn't come from Mickey D's, but it's use of the then 79 year old plaintiff's first name as a the name for an award for frivolous lawsuits.

The estimate was the coffee was served at 180-190 degrees.

"Coffee is supposed to be served in the range of 185 degrees! The National Coffee Association recommends coffee be brewed at “between 195-205 degrees Fahrenheit for optimal extraction” and drunk “immediately.” If not drunk immediately, it should be “maintained at 180-185 degrees Fahrenheit.” (Source: NCAUSA.) Exactly what, then, did McDonald’s do wrong? Did it exhibit “willful, wanton, reckless or malicious conduct” — the standard in New Mexico for awarding punitive damages?"

So if the coffee was served +/- 5 degrees of the recommended temperature...

https://stellaawards.com/stella/

By the way, I'm now an expert on being a dumbass with hot coffee. Pulled the coffee out of the microwave and hit the door. Oops.
Who are you planning to sue?

Your post more or less jives with what I recall about the McDonald’s case as covered by 60 Minutes at the time. What I recall was that the coffee machine was set at 182°, which was 2° above the standard set by some restaurant association or other, on the basis that coffee cooler than 180° frequently gets sent back for being too cold. The jury's award of $2M was based on McD's revenue from coffee for one week.

What a system!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:48 pm 

File suit against the microwave manufacturer for designing a door that you could bang your cup into. Or visa versa the cup manufacturer…. Somebody gotta pay. ;>)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:44 pm 

Last edited by superheater on Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:33 pm 

As is widely known when the facts were put into the public record as a result of the K&T litigation the industry was filled with talk of the many corner cuttings that Wasatch/Rimmasch had been guilty of over time and the great risk this was putting the entire industry in.

I have no way of knowing where the line is between facts and gossip.

If you carefully read the entire K&T testimony you can only come away with one conclusion and that is that there were many corners cut and that thankfully the locomotive never entered service.

I think it's very important to remember everyone is entitled to a presumption of innocence. The gov't needs to prove its case at trial beyond a reasonable doubt. Let's see what the trial reveals.

February will be here soon enough. Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:26 pm 

Last edited by superheater on Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:41 pm 

superheater wrote:
Ed Kapuscinski wrote:
dieselloco wrote:
the macdonalds coffee thing happened in Albuquerque NM. when we lived there. The bottom line is you have to look out for yourself. Don't spill hot stuff into your lap, watch out for other people, and be nice! On the railroad safety first!

No. The bottom line is that companies should NOT be selling products demonstrated to be needlessly hazardous.

Seriously. Familiarize yourself with the case. It is decidedly not a case of someone "not looking out for themselves". It was a case of someone being given a product that was out of spec and then a company launching a very successful PR campaign to deflect attention away from their own negligence.

Actually, it's sort of amusing that this would be misunderstood on a site that has a significant focus on steam locomotives.

It seems people don't seem to understand that the "extra" potential to burn is related to the extra energy contained in a fluid due to temperature. Since I'm accountant, not a mechanical engineer, I welcome any degreed engineer to correct this:

According to:

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ener ... _1463.html

A Half liter of water (close to a typical 16 oz cup) heated an additional degree C (1.8F) would contain 0.58 watt-hours of energy. (Assumes a complete thermal energy transfer)

The public disrepute for this case didn't come from Mickey D's, but it's use of the then 79 year old plaintiff's first name as a the name for an award for frivolous lawsuits.

"Coffee is supposed to be served in the range of 185 degrees! The National Coffee Association recommends coffee be brewed at “between 195-205 degrees Fahrenheit for optimal extraction” and drunk “immediately.” If not drunk immediately, it should be “maintained at 180-185 degrees Fahrenheit.” (Source: NCAUSA.) Exactly what, then, did McDonald’s do wrong? Did it exhibit “willful, wanton, reckless or malicious conduct” — the standard in New Mexico for awarding punitive damages?"

By the way, I'm now an expert on being a dumbass with hot coffee. Pulled the coffee out of the microwave and hit the door. Oops.

I just wish someone could explain to me the desire to drink molten hot liquid that tastes exactly like what it is, something burnt and liquefied, when they COULD be drinking some nice cold refreshing beverage. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:03 pm 

Kelly Anderson wrote:
superheater wrote:

Who are you planning to sue?

Your post more or less jives with what I recall about the McDonald’s case as covered by 60 Minutes at the time. What I recall was that the coffee machine was set at 182°, which was 2° above the standard set by some restaurant association or other, on the basis that coffee cooler than 180° frequently gets sent back for being too cold. The jury's award of $2M was based on McD's revenue from coffee for one week.

What a system!

a quick spin around google indicates that the agreed upon range for coffee to be served at is 155-175 degrees, and never above 175 due to the risk of burning. Coffee is correctly brewed at 195-205 degrees. Not sure where the notion that 185 is correct or the industry standard came from. McDonalds lost the case because 185 was in fact too hot to be safe.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:43 pm 

Last edited by superheater on Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:53 pm 

I just wish someone could explain to me the desire to drink molten hot liquid that tastes exactly like what it is, something burnt and liquefied, when they COULD be drinking some nice cold refreshing beverage. :)

Have you ever been on the back end of a train, headed west going past the Steamtown Mall (or more correctly the building that once housed that curious artifact of retail commerce) in December? Bridge 60 is always worse, because of the airflow.

Or spent all day on train traversing its way to Carbondale later than September or before April?

Or pounding the ground in Troy NY in 1955?

There's a reason the historic pictures of caboose interiors always seemed to have a percolator on the pot-belly stove.

Attachment:
NYC Snow Troy NY 1955.jpg

You'd not only have consumed the molten beverage, you'd have bathed in it.

In the summer, iced for me, I'm with you in July. Irrational to drink hot coffee tea or anything else. No need to induce hyperthermia or hyperhidrosis.

After 12PM, decaf.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:11 pm 

superheater wrote:

Have you ever been on the back end of a train, headed west going past the Steamtown Mall (or more correctly the building that once housed that curious artifact of retail commerce) in December? Bridge 60 is always worse, because of the airflow.

Or spent all day on train traversing its way to Carbondale later than September or before April?

Or pounding the ground in Troy NY in 1955?

There's a reason the historic pictures of caboose interiors always seemed to have a percolator on the pot-belly stove.

Attachment:
NYC Snow Troy NY 1955.jpg

You'd not only have consumed the molten beverage, you'd have bathed in it.

In the summer, iced for me, I'm with you in July. Irrational to drink hot coffee tea or anything else. No need to induce hyperthermia or hyperhidrosis.

After 12PM, decaf.

Well, not me. I used to do residential snow removal in situations that required hand snow blowers and shovels, usually in the middle of the night. Always keep a nice cooler of ice cold Diet Coke in the truck.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:48 pm 

Two developments:

1. Filing (attached) showing the parties are ready for trial on 2/14/22. So it appears that it is happening.

2. A notice (attached) by the government of their intent to offer evidence that Rimmasch in another project, directed the illegal removal of asbestos by an unqualified person with improper PPE.

Attachments:
404 Evidence-Reduced.pdf [715.53 KiB]
Downloaded 338 times
Status Report.pdf [76.3 KiB]
Downloaded 299 times

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next