It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pre-war Budd Window Gaskets
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:23 pm 

We’re looking at replacing the windows in our diner. It’s a 1939, ex- ACL “Baltimore”. Does anyone have a drawing of the window gaskets or know of any extruders that may have a die for these? We’re also considering going single pane to save on cost.

Post subject: Re: Pre-war Budd Window Gaskets
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:56 pm 

If I'm not mistaken, Bombardier deposited the Budd Company drawings and associated records with the Illinois Railway Museum's Pullman Library. Give them a try.

K.R. Bell

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:12 pm 

"If I'm not mistaken, Bombardier deposited the Budd Company drawings and associated records with the Illinois Railway Museum's Pullman Library. Give them a try. K.R. Bell"

Just call the 800 number for the Budd Company, and when the recording comes on, after they say that your call is important to them and to listen to the entire message as some options gave changed, press 9 to order new gaskets.

If only it was that easy. If no one from the RYPN Nation chimes in with a response, then the IRM Pullman/Budd Library may be your best bet. IRM will need the Lot number for that order. Then get the drawing list for that Lot. Hopefully the gaskets are listed in the drawing list. If it was a P-S or ACF car, you'd be in business. But dare I say that Budd was a bit of a strange outfit, and their drawings are not as all-inclusive or organized as well as P-S or ACF.

As for a gasket vendor, there are many outfits that do rubber extrusions. The dies should be a few hundred dollars. The biggest problem is minimum lengths per order that many companies require. It seems that many car owners have used Central Sales and Service in Waverly, TN in the last decade or so. They have fairly reasonable minimum orders. And there's a slight chance they might have the dies for that gasket material. Look thru an old Power Parts catalogue and you should find your extrusion with a part number. They can cross reference that old part number to see if they have that die.

And I don't believe there's anyone left who inventories RR window gasket rubber anymore. It's all made-to-order.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:02 pm 

We do have the lot number: 96809.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:08 pm 

I searched the forum, this topic comes up occasionally, and here is a thread from 15 years ago with some contacts that are still around: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20690&p=88449#p88449 This company for example: "Restoration Specialties in Windber, PA. Phone number is 814-467-9842, web site is http://www.restorationspecialties.com. Although they are primarily auto restoration folks, they have a good selection of glass setting channels."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:44 pm 

I don't know what these gaskets look like, but Wefco Rubber has a pretty good selection of odd gaskets and rub rails.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:06 pm 

Prewar Budd should be a U Gasket with a lip on each side to hold glass in place while outside locking gasket is installed. Try Logan Corporation in W. Virginia, they bought up the Power Parts Corps inventory. I have bought a lot of Gaskets for Adlake window packs from ElastoProxy Corp. Their 2015 Catalog does not show the style of Gasket for a Budd. They are a good company and will do custom work.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:02 pm 

As far as I know, Logan Corp quit stocking and selling the old Power Parts gaskets a few years ago. To my knowledge, they were the last outfit that would stock the more popular gaskets from Power Parts days and sell you a small qty if that's all you needed. But no more.