It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seeking Information - Southern Wood Preserving #3
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:24 pm 

All,

I happened across a story regarding Southern Wood Preserving #3, the 0-4-0T preserved at the Age of Steam Roundhouse Museum. I remember reading a post from someone on some forum or another which said that #3 once traveled unmanned down the L&N mainline and landed at one of their yards.

I should have saved that story when I found it, because I can't recall where I found the post or who wrote it now. If anyone here can provide information, I would very very grateful.

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Seeking Information - Southern Wood Preserving #3
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:24 pm 

From Train Orders:

Quote:
Date: 07/20/08 19:42
Re: tender hand brakes
Author: AdamPhillips
Here is a picture of the hand brake on the tender of TVRM 610. None of the other locomotives I've been on had hand brakes that I know of; always chained and locked the throttle and used chain chocks. TVRM used to have Southern Wood Preserving #3 (now owned by Mr. Jacobsen). Back in it's SWP days, the throttle leaked by and the little 3 Spot went for an unmanned journey. I think it made it all the way to the Southern main before derailing. It's been a lot of years since I heard the story, so there may be more to it.

I believe they now have a device which is placed on the reverse quadrant to keep it centered.

Link: https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/ ... 10,1719679

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:37 am 

The event you're referring to happened in the very early days of TVRM. I believe that everyone involved in it has since passed away. I recall hearing about the story back a long time ago and I can't remember every detail.

When the event happened in the early 1960's, TVRM was not located where it is today. Western Union had a siding located downtown adjacent to the then L&N mainline to Atlanta. It was here that both #3, K&T 10, and SR 4501 were first stored. The siding was long enough for #3 to run back and forth to provide "throttle time" for the members. Also, #3 did not have air brakes as it was equipped with a steam brake. I don't know when the air compressor was applied. It was already there when I joined TVRM in 1978.

I don't know for sure but I think this also occurred after the big track realignment was made in downtown Chattanooga. The L&N tracks that passed across Market and Broad Streets were moved to their present location to eliminate the grade crossings over two heavily traveled streets. The Southern line through the city was modified a bit when DeButts Yard was built but the mainline towards the west was built around 1906 as part of the infamous Stevenson Extension.

After a day of having #3 under steam, the crew left for the day. Somehow, all the pieces of the swiss cheese lined up - Johnson Bar off-center (Stephenson Valve Gear), cylinder cocks closed (manually operated), leaking throttle, and the brake leaking off led to the locomotive moving under its own power. She trailed through the switch that put her onto the mainline and off she went. I think she traveled to a point somewhere around the base of Lookout Mountain before she ran out of steam (about 4 to 5 miles). I don't recall hearing anything about derailing. However, there were some people awakened in the middle of the night about a locomotive that was fouling the mainline!

What I don't recall is which railroad #3 was on. Maybe another TVRM member can chime in to fill in the gaps.

By the way, a couple of items the AoS bio of #3. 4501 didn't show up until June, 1964. TVRM had put SWP #3 up for sale during the bankruptcy challenges of the 1980's. Paul Merriman purchased her at that time. As Paul grew older, his son made the tough decision to sell the locomotive (Paul was extremely attached to #3). That's when Jerry Joe stepped in to make the purchase. As a board member of TVRM, I hope that one day we can repatriate #3 back to her home.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:11 am 

Here is SWP 3 after a spruce-up and test fire shortly before JJJ bought it from Mr. Merriman. L-R: I can't remember who is on the left; Gary Rogers; Adam Phillips; Rufus Werner and Paul Merriman. It would truly be great to get to get it back home. Southern Wood Preserving / TVRM / P. Merriman / JJJ /TVRM?

I think I had posted somewhere it ended up on the Southern but the N&C (NC&StL/L&N) makes more sense.

Attachments:
File comment: SWP 3 at TVRM. Paul Merriman, Owner.
3 Spot Resize.jpg
3 Spot Resize.jpg [ 119.23 KiB | Viewed 2174 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:18 am 

Thank you all for the replies!