It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BO (Botsford) Tower Demolition
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:39 pm 

As some of you may know, Michigans 2nd to last operating interlocking tower in Kalamazoo Botsford tower otherwise known as the "BO" tower is slated for demolition in the near future. There have been attempts to save the building including a project to move the tower via flatbed to Schoolcraft MI however nothing has come of that and as of recently the tower has had its gray 1950's shingles removed along with I believe the outside layer of asbestos which was part of the problem in moving the tower. On another note, from what i have gathered the inside had the boards removed along with other things and just a few months back copper vandals attempted to break into the lower part of the tower but were chased off by police before anything escaped. Seeing these posts and having visited the tower myself I thought i might as well just get the word out for any interested party's whether it be for preservation purposes like scavenging for parts like switch levers off the tower or archive purposes like photographs and whatnot.

The current state of the tower: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=33 ... 8785558784

How the tower looked a couple years after closure in 2017: https://www.woodtv.com/news/effort-to-m ... emolition/

Post subject: Re: BO (Botsford) Tower Demolition
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:09 pm 

BO Tower was demolished on December 28, 2021.

Post subject: Re: BO (Botsford) Tower Demolition
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:44 pm 

At least Mershon tower in Saginaw was saved and is on display at a small railroad museum there.

Bob H