It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cheyenne Railroad Visitor Experience
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:57 pm 

Get this new from Jasmine Hall of the Wyoming Tribune Eagle.A project planned by the city and Visit Cheyenne for the depot and the cheyenne roundhouse. Big Boy 4004 and maybe other rolling stock could be exposed...
here some links

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/2411945321989/council-voices-support-for-cheyenne-railroad-visitor-experience

https://finance.yahoo.com/finance/news/council-voices-support-cheyenne-railroad-171600335.html

https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews/news-wire/cheyenne-wyo-makes-plans-for-rail-oriented-tourist-project/

Post subject: Re: Cheyenne Railroad Visitor Experience
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:05 am 

This has been talked about many times in the past. We will have to see if it goes anywhere this time.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:08 am 

As nice as an idea as this sounds; unless UP has reps in that meeting saying "yeah sure we'll commit to something sometime" then I just dont see them parting out the railyard facilities - especially as envisioned in the phases shown in the picture. I mean UP is left with only the steam shop; so what are they going to do with everything in storage in and around the roundhouse? Some here have likened the rollingstock to looking like junk and it wouldnt surprise me if the city would want it all cleaned up (cosmetically or scrapped) if UP doesnt removed them from the property.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:55 pm 

Being completely fair, it’s not like they’re using that particular section of land for much of anything at this time.

The only things in that section of the property are some grounded baggage cars that look like they’ve been converted into work trailers of some sorts. No more than 5-6 of them there. All of the pieces they’ve kept are on the other side. Those baggage cars can probably be moved without much difficulty. The rolling stock is all in the former “freight” section.

Looking at it as an outsider, from my perspective it appears it would honestly be very little trouble to UP and what they’ve got now. Heck it might even be helpful; it gives them a place to store a few more items they deem important inside.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:03 pm 

I notice that John Rimmasch/Wasatch RR Contractors are mentioned as being involved. I would hope that the Cheyenne city fathers are aware of WRRC recent bankruptcy filing and other issues that might have an impact on this concept??

I would advise using extreme caution. Ross Rowland