It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NS donates 380 cubic feet of files to Atlanta History Museum
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:55 am 

In the Atlanta newspaper today:
Quote:
Next month Norfolk Southern opens its new national headquarters in Atlanta, and to celebrate, the company has donated a massive archive of railway history to the Atlanta History Center.

The Southern Railway archive includes hundreds of thousands of pages of correspondence, minute books, reports, construction plans, and more than 20,000 photographs that together provide a look at the growth of Atlanta and the Southeastern United States.

“The history of Southern Railway is inseparable from the history of this region,” said Jim Squires, chairman and CEO of Norfolk Southern, in a statement. “This treasure trove of material belongs in Atlanta, and there’s no better home than the Atlanta History Center.”

Along with the materials, Norfolk Southern is providing a $500,000 grant to pay for cataloguing, organizing and digitizing the material. The gift will be announced today at a meeting of the downtown Rotary Club.
Link: Atlanta Journal Constitution - Norfolk Southern Railway donates gigantic railroad archive to history center

Post subject: Re: NS donates 380 cubic feet of files to Atlanta History Mu
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:11 pm 

In my days as an employee benefit analyst,. I worked with an attorney who observed a fan rag on my desk and inquired about my interest. He then told me that he began his career in the ICC working in the area that approved abandonments-and then was hired by one of the roads (Jim Bistline interviewed him, so) that merged to form NS before the merger-he left the railroad after merger.

He had said that the records of Norfolk and Western in particular was impeccably organized and kept with extraordinary care by corporate secretaries who took pride in the attributes.

My guess is that there is a treasure trove in those files. I hope they have the inclination and capacity to review them.

Post subject: Re: NS donates 380 cubic feet of files to Atlanta History Mu
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:19 pm 

Quote:

Along with the materials, Norfolk Southern is providing a $500,000 grant to pay for cataloguing, organizing and digitizing the material. The gift will be announced today at a meeting of the downtown Rotary Club.

Equally important to an archival donation are the funds to process the material. Congratulations to all.