It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: A Summer Update on Steam in Florida
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:16 pm 

I've got a copy on order, the photos I've seen from it are super deluxe. Hope to get it signed someday.

Sammy King

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:07 pm 

Do you know if those crews work seasonally?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:43 pm 

Quote:
Do you know if those crews work seasonally?

Yes, many of the crews are seasonal. During non-harvest season, about the only trains running are the Sebring and Fort Pierce Turns, the Clewiston Local, a few work trains, and a mill train or two. During harvest season, the Turns and Local run, plus about 2 to 4 cane trains on the South Central Florida Express, plus 2 to 4 on the sugar lines. There were also 2 Bryant Turns running day and night, but much of this has recently changed to running on the sugar lines thanks to the Clewiston-Bryant connector line opened last season.

Over the years, a number of the crews I've met worked in Alaska during summer and Florida during winter. Some came from other areas with matching seasonal operating patterns.

Hope that answers the question...

Bart

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:47 pm 

Quote:
I've got a copy on order, the photos I've seen from it are super deluxe. Hope to get it signed someday.

It is not a table top book but it has lots of photos - all black and white to keep the book affordable. It is mainly a history and route guide for the two railroads, plus the sugar company.

On Thursday, January 19th, the day before the mileage weekend begins, there is an open session at the Clewiston Museum about the railroad. I and probably a few people from the company will have a presentation at 7pm about the railroads. There will also be book sales and signing, so bring it and I'll happily sign it. The Sugar Express is also getting some good stuff like hats and shirts they will start selling.

Bart

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:55 pm 

It did, thank you very much.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:56 pm 

Quote:
Would there be any possibility that a nationwide rail strike could impact the events on October 1st ?? Just figured I should ask before buying my tickets. Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

What impacted the October 1st and 2nd trips was Hurricane Ian, which did quite a bit of damage to the west and north of Clewiston. The two days of Clewiston-Lake Placid trips were cancelled, especially due to the damage to the depot museum at Lake Placid, and the concern about people trying to get to Clewiston.

The railroad had to replace a lot of crossing gates across the system, but sugar cane movements began on October 4th. The issue was that the priority of which fields to cut changed some based upon cane damage, so equipment was often in the wrong place. Also, as much as possible was put on high ground or in protective covering, so things had to be moved around to get started.

Tickets did go on sale today for the 3-day mileage event on January 20-22, 2023, so things are starting to return to normal on the railroad and at the mill.