It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: PRR 5550 Update: Boiler Assembly
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 5:41 pm 

Mallard's record is 125 and a fraction; the 126.1 or whatever is a hydraulic artifact of the dynamometer car. Gresley himself affirmed this. In my opinion we shouldn't disparage Mallard by bringing up the big-end damage; I believe the problem in its construction was quickly and definitively solved (and a repeat of the record run with an A4 so improved would not suffer the damage.

The "127.1' was allegedly set on PRR loooooong before 1927. I believe the timing is the result of being off by one trainlength with the measurement between AY and Elida.

Alfred Bruce somewhat cryptically stated in his "American Locomotives" that he had known Milwaukee A class Atlantics to run faster than 128mph multiple times... the significance of that particular number should not be lost on Americans.

The great model for us all isn't Tornado, it was the Duke of Gloucester, which was not only revived from a dissected display but also corrected some likely-intentional sabotage faults in construction, on a shoestring budget compared to what the A1 Trust developed. 71000 is much more in the T1's league than a Peppercorn Pacific. (And not to disparage Tornado, but she was built to go 100mph and so she did...)

The original publicist for the T1 Trust looked carefully at the idea of using the T1 for limited Amtrak service, perhaps analogous to the Australian use of steam in weekend commuter service to Warrnambool. To my knowledge, that is not a current plan, but it does represent the likeliest source of high-speed-capable passenger equipment to run at the appropriate speeds...

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 9:45 pm 

If the Franklin guy was right, any poppet valve T1 could do 140 with an Acela consist.

I'd be curious what 5550 could do between Trenton and New Brunswick on either 2 or 3 track. ACSES would be easier to install than I-ETMS; remember 1361 had CSS with Speed Control in the 1950's.

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 10:55 pm 

Amtrak is not going to allow that. The private car people have been lucky to get back to being allowed to operate more on Amtrak trains since Anderson left, let alone let a steam locomotive try an all-time speed record on the NEC main, let alone get any Class I to let it romp solo on their mainline in 202x. I would, however, like to know what some of you have been ingesting? It's some really good, er, "stuff".

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 11:07 pm 

I agree, highly doubt that will happen.

How many years now since NS has allowed a steam excursion? If NS at all would play ball, you'd see 611, 4501, 765 out for a trip here or there, but nothing. Not sure how well the T1 would run up and down hills with 20+ cars behind it, at 40 mph... but I suppose it'd have a es44ace or whatever behind it...

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 6:49 am 

PaulWWoodring wrote:
Amtrak is not going to allow that. The private car people have been lucky to get back to being allowed to operate more on Amtrak trains since Anderson left, let alone let a steam locomotive try an all-time speed record on the NEC main, let alone get any Class I to let it romp solo on their mainline in 202x. I would, however, like to know what some of you have been ingesting? It's some really good, er, "stuff".

I remember hearing the same thing in 2010. Then Wick Moorman came along and things changed for a while. Everything is cyclical.

I also remember when everyone said that a Big Boy would never run again.

If the locomotive is there then it just takes a change in attitudes and leadership to open up opportunities.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 8:40 am 

Rick Rowlands wrote:
PaulWWoodring wrote:

I remember hearing the same thing in 2010. Then Wick Moorman came along and things changed for a while. Everything is cyclical.

I also remember when everyone said that a Big Boy would never run again.

If the locomotive is there then it just takes a change in attitudes and leadership to open up opportunities.

It absolutely is all about who is running the show.

Here at SEPTA, there generally wasn't any talk of steam excursions until Kneuppel took over. Lo and behold, before he retired, SEPTA saw its first Main Line steam excursion in well over 20 years. Now with Mrs. Richards running the show, things are a bit different (though in talks I've had she hasn't been opposed to the idea). I am sure that 1361 having the backing of some major politicians in the area may influence SEPTA's decisions as to whether or not it runs anywhere on our system.

The same goes for Amtrak. The T1 guys have repeatedly said that once PTC is available for steam (which, judging by UP's work, it is), the T1 is getting it. The only logistical challenges of operating a T1 at that point become talk of clearance and loading gauge issues. Should someone who comes into power at Amtrak have a soft spot for Pennsy Steam, I am certain that it could be made to happen.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 9:29 am 

CA1 wrote:
I agree, highly doubt that will happen.

How many years now since NS has allowed a steam excursion? If NS at all would play ball, you'd see 611, 4501, 765 out for a trip here or there, but nothing. Not sure how well the T1 would run up and down hills with 20+ cars behind it, at 40 mph... but I suppose it'd have a es44ace or whatever behind it...

Do we know for a fact that NS will not allow excursions? The 21st Century Program was a limited year program from the start and NS was transparent about that so it's not like anything was cancelled. Afterwards, NS stated that they would allow excursions but the host would, of course, need to cover their own insurance. It was Amtrak's new charter restrictions that made the insurance obtainment virtually impossible compounded by the PTC mandate that precludes a non PTC equipped locomotive from leading a train. Maybe there is a recent NS policy against excursions, I'm not sure, but lets be careful not to confuse other roadblocks or challenges for railroad policy or sentiment.

To the contrary, NS' cooperation in moving 765 and 611 to excursion venues has been absolutely critical to their continued operation. CSX has done some great things in recent years as well that seem to go all but ignored.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 9:44 am 

I know I'm behind the times on this, but this image, harvested from Facebook, cracked me up.

Attachments:
T1.jpg
T1.jpg [ 45.81 KiB | Viewed 2716 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 9:52 am 

Where will it ever be able to run??? That's a subject for several years down the line not now.

It should be painfully obvious to all that THE determining factor on how mainline steam is treated is COMPLETELY dependent on who occupies the CEO's chair. As has often been observed the Class 1 railroads are very akin to the US Army, with the only difference being the uniform of the day and titles vs. ranks.

The formula is very straightforward.....when the 4 star or CEO likes something EVERYONE else magically likes it too!!!

As you know I've been blessed over the years to convince the CEO ( 1966 Jack Craddock-CRRofNJ, 1968- Doug Campbell- EL, 1969 George Lilach -WM, 1970 Stanley Crane-PC/Conrail and others) of a number of roads that hosting a well organized, well executed steam excursions can do wonders towards softening their public persona.

When the T1 is ready to go there will be lots of potential opportunities.

As to winning back the SST from the Brits ......let's go for it. I can see her now on # 2 main passing a SRO crowd on both platforms at Princeton Jct. doing 140 + as she proceeds to establish a new steam locomotive speed record of 142.5 mph.

2027 would be an appropriate year as it would be the 100th. anniversary of the Brits winning it last century.

Onward & upward. Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 10:19 am 

Ed Kapuscinski wrote:
I know I'm behind the times on this, but this image, harvested from Facebook, cracked me up.

IT looks like the CSS Hunley.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 6:06 pm 

If NS would ever allow it...they have 60 miles of straight tangent and level double track between Suffolk and Petersburg,Va. 611 and 1218 ran on that years ago.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 8:24 pm 

Col. Howard G. Hill, USAR (Ret.) rode 611 Eastward on her last run on the old N&W on October 24, 1959. East of Zuni, between Petersburg and Suffolk, he notes 611 was making 100 mph. On Page 45 of TRAINS dated December 1964 is Col. Hill's photo of Engineer "Buddy" Phelps running the 611 at that time.

Col. Hill clocked 611 at 100 from the train Westward at Zuni on the way back to Roanoke.

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 9:14 pm 

even if NS let them run, it would be 40mph or MAYBE 60 or whatever Amtrak/ NS freights run and that would not be with an excursion train. Zero chance NS will allow some 90+mph run.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 9:22 pm 

In my opinion, the days of near-100mph running of reciprocating steam on American mainlines is ended. That's even with the riding of a double Atlantic with low or zero overbalance. Insurance, presumably including business interruption insurance for PSR traffic, would make the bragging rights almost pointlessly expensive -- that money being better spent on improving the locomotive, or going to other deserving projects...

The reason for the use of the Fast Loop is that it's contained, effective to well above what I suspect would be peak speed (around 145mph is what I'd expect if there aren't emergent critical speeds or other concerns such as damping -- that leaves 20mph of headroom with the forces scaling as the square of the speed.) In addition, pesky Europeans often require trips 'both ways' within a short time for a "record" to stand -- equalizes out wind and grade effects, such as they might be. Fast Loop is... as noted... a loop.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 11:14 pm 

765 has hit 70MPH in the last 4-6 years on several occasions and for long, sustained periods.

Had it not been for the way 2020 went, it would have happened even more recently. It's still in the cards for the future.

KL

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 16  Next