It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Preservation of paper drawings, photos
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:50 pm 

Back in 1970, our hometown railroad let their huge passenger station fall to the wrecking ball. I would have been 14. The 3 story building was windowless and abandoned... and had been prepped for demolition.
One cold, winter Sunday morning, a friend and I went to scavenge through the building. Found one large room that had huge, wooden, chest high cabinets lining it's entire length. Each section of cabinets was filled with thin drawers.. Upon opening these drawers, we discovered they were blue print storage cabinets. Lots of structure drawings, even more rolled up track drawings for terminals and towns all over their system....

Even back then, I thought to myself that this stuff is neat and that we should save everything we could. All over the room there were these black, metal storage boxes embossed "Handlan"...along with the initials of the railroad. I grabbed 4 of those and started rifling through drawers. I picked out any of the rolled up drawings that had the name of any town I recognized, especially my own, and would put them in these boxes until no more would fit.

Found sheet (not rolled up) drawings for turntables, round houses... a Fairbanks Morse designed wooden coaling tower.. all kinds of neat stuff.

Last, but not least, I spotted some string tied bundles of magazines stacked over against a wall. I broke one string and pulled out a magazine. Turned out to be bundles of their employee magazines... the earliest one I got was 1945.

Well, we were in a pretty small vehicle and what we hauled down from the second floor there filled up the rear seat. We were pleased with what seemed like a huge haul, but hindsight being 20/20... we should have went home and got one of our fathers' trucks and took it all!

All this stuff has stayed in my attic since 1970... I only recently thought "you know what, it's not doing anyone any good up there, I'm giving it to our local railroad museum", and I did.

All of the paper was still intact and in pretty good shape... the blueprints were still dark blue and none of them were brittle.

Just goes to show that it's not all doom and gloom if you don't have climate controlled storage.

Plus one for saving the originals, because nothing about holding a drawing in your hand is going to be made obsolete due to technology.

Post subject: Re: Preservation of paper drawings, photos
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:10 pm 

Twenty years ago I collected player piano rolls. These rolls were often made with acid based paper, and they did indeed age and become unusable. Making digital copies of them is an active part of the hobby, and their only hope for preservation.

Post subject: Re: Preservation of paper drawings, photos
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:13 am 

Finally have the correct details our our software options for online cloud of photos.

We currently use Jottacloud for our museum's internal documents. This is not really configured for an attractive public website, but it works very well for our internal document archiving and sharing.

https://www.jottacloud.com/en/

We are considering subscribing to the Norwegian cloud archive for our public, searchable interface of photos. The reluctance is because the monthly subscription is at the upper range of our budget. But it is well respected up here and all our buddies use it.

https://dok.digitaltmuseum.org/en/about