It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Clark County Museum
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:59 pm 

The Clark County Museum at Henderson, Nevada has the UP #4442 switcher (BLW,1916).

I recently found out they also have a 1920s box car, a 1940s caboose and a combine of unknown date.

Any details available? Nothing on their web site.

In their museum village is the Boulder city station of 1931 and a railroad cottage for employees.

It is difficult to find any information on railroad artifacts that belong to non-railroad museums.

Ted Miles, NV State RR Museum Member

Post subject: Re: Clark County Museum
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:06 pm 

Ted,

I recall a 60' Harriman coach of apparent SP origin at the Museum. It may have been in MW service in its later railroad life. But not a combine.

The museum has a wonderful collection of moved-in houses and some other structures from around Clark County. Each of the houses is decorated with furniture that is appropriate for the era it is to represent.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:27 pm 

ted66 wrote:

It is difficult to find any information on railroad artifacts that belong to non-railroad museums.

Ted Miles, NV State RR Museum Member

Ted -

I agree that it is difficult to find info on rail artifacts at non-railroad museums.

As an example, there is a park located about 5 miles west of Danville, Illinois known as Kennekuk County Park, which in itself is strange as the park is actually in Vermillion County! They actually have the old Chicago & Eastern Illinois depot from Bismarck, Illinois along with a lightweight stainless steel passenger car, also possibly ex-C&Ei. Finding out any information on the car, or the depot for that matter, is just about an impossibility. Maybe someone should start a thread on "Lesser Known Preserved Rail Artifacts!"

Hope you are able to find out some info on the various railroad equipment there at the Clark County Museum.

Les

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:01 am 
Site Admin

The museum has the Boulder City depot, a Railroad Cottage from downtown Las Vegas, a UP steel caboose (from the C-1-C9 group) the UP 0-6-0, a speeder, and a baggage car, which had been reduced to a body but is sitting on trucks and a box car. I note that it is not on display they hold a tourist railroad locomotive built on a WWII bomb tractor.

As Brian suggested it is a wonderful collection of houses. They also hold the artifacts from the October 1, 2017 mass shooting.

They also have a location at McCarren Airport, the Howard Cannon Aviation Museum.

The Director of the two museums is Mark Hall Patton, who is occasionally found on Pawn Stars, known as the "Beard of Knowlage"

Randy

https://www.facebook.com/FriendsOfNevadaSouthernRailway

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:13 am 

I make it a point to visit non-railroad museums that have railroad displays and preserved railroad equipment. Often their displays are more complete and more interactive than those at most railroad museums.
More often than not, their displays will be static, but you might get a few pointers from their example on how to make your railroad museum's static displays more engaging.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:47 pm 

Here are some photos I took at the Clark County Museum back on April 29, 2018. I did not take a photo of the caboose on this trip. The coach has "SP" cast on the truck pedestals.

Attachment:
File comment: UP boxcar at Clark County Museum, Henderson, Nevada
IMG_0732_UP box resized-2.JPG
IMG_0732_UP box resized-2.JPG [ 210.64 KiB | Viewed 5611 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Box #171500 built 5-22
IMG_0732_UP box detail.JPG
IMG_0732_UP box detail.JPG [ 154.42 KiB | Viewed 5611 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Harriman coach at Clark County Museum, Henderson, Nevada
Note the large single windows -- this is the early design

IMG_0713_Harriman coach resized.JPG
IMG_0713_Harriman coach resized.JPG [ 279.73 KiB | Viewed 5611 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:15 am 

Thank you to all of you who have been to the Clark County Museum.

And yes, I have seen the Beard of Knowledge on Pawn stars.

Ted Miles

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:11 pm 

Brian Norden wrote:
Here are some photos I took at the Clark County Museum back on April 29, 2018. I did not take a photo of the caboose on this trip. The coach has "SP" cast on the truck pedestals.

Attachment:
IMG_0732_UP box resized-2.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_0732_UP box detail.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_0713_Harriman coach resized.JPG

Brian -

Thanks for the photos of the box car and Harriman coach. The lettering for the reporting marks of the box car look a "little off" to me. I would think that the third "line" should be under number 171500 rather than over it, but I'm not an expert on UP markings. Also, the car is described on one website as being a 40 footer but I wonder if it's actually a 50 foot long car.

Les

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:01 pm 

Les,

I have to agree with you on all counts. The stenciling for the inside length says "40-6" seems wrong -- that might be where someone got the length. The class id of the car looks right A-50-7-- "A" for automobile. I think the "50" indicate the load capacity in tons -- not the length

Attachment:
File comment: detail of image, right side of the door
IMG_0732_UP box detail_right_side.jpg
IMG_0732_UP box detail_right_side.jpg [ 196.05 KiB | Viewed 4864 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:31 pm 

Brian -

Also in your earlier photo it says "NEW SC 5 -22". The car looks newer than 1922; maybe a rebuild?

Thanks for your comments and the additional photo.

Les

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:26 pm 

I was looking at the UtahRails website and it has images of UP box and automobile cars record sheets. Missing is the 100-car sheet for this car. There is one for a later numbered car. There is a whole bunch of UP company freight car photos, with an earlier and a couple of automobile cars that came later.

This will link to a photo of a 1938 built automobile car class A-50-15

Maybe the Union Pacific Historical Society has information - or published information - about the UP's Automobile cars.

Maybe a look for markings on the underframe and/or trucks as well as inside for evidence of numbers will verify the car number.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:23 pm 

Brian -

Your referenced photo for UP #161174 shows that the car had 7 "panels" to the right of the double doors whereas UP #171500 only has 5 panels. So, 171500 is apparently a 40' car. Whether the car number is correct or not is another matter. From the lettering on 161174, it does appears that the lettering on 171500 is not exactly correct. I agree that it would be nice if someone knowledgeable from the U.P. Historical Society could chime in.

Thanks for all your hard work on this.

Les

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:12 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:
Brian -

Also in your earlier photo it says "NEW SC 5 -22". The car looks newer than 1922; maybe a rebuild?

Thanks for your comments and the additional photo.

Les

Definitely a rebuild of an older car, the little gussets that hold the new sides out from the narrower frame are a dead give-away. You will also notice the height has been increased with an extra panel in the ends. There was a lot of rebuilding of older, lower, narrower wood bodied boxcars during the thirties; Youngstown Steel Door Co. even made "kits" for the sides to rebuild USRA cars. This isn't a USRA underframe, but the sides were adaptable to similar cars. Apparently changes to the tax laws on the eve of WWII brought this rebuilding activity to an end.