It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: EBT Winter Spectacular Feb. 20th
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:34 pm 

I am surprised there has been no mention of the EBT Winter Spectacular held this past Saturday.
I did attend, and was pleased to see the progress the Foundation and Friends have made in one year.
The M1 and caboose 28 where making runs as far as they could. The M3 inspection speeder was providing short rides to the south past the shop complex. And the Rockhill Trolley had a variety of equipment in service.

Regards,
Hugh

Attachments:
IMG_1768 (2)rz.jpg
IMG_1768 (2)rz.jpg [ 243.82 KiB | Viewed 7546 times ]

Post subject: Re: EBT Winter Spectacular Feb. 20th
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:37 am 

I’m surprised by the lack of EBT stuff on the interchange as well Hugh.

While the event didn’t have steam locomotives and hopper cars shuffling about, it was a very nice event you’d expect in a normal year without a restored steam locomotive, and it was good to see both the M1 and M3 out and about getting some movement. Considering the amount of tickets actually sold just to see the M1 shuffle back and forth on a 4 mile round trip, I’d say it was a pretty massive success for the EBTF.

I’ll make the claim that the EBT is probably the project with THE most enthusiasm from a diversity of ages, and the more the railroad grows the more interest there is in not only preserving but expanding the history of the EBT. What chance does anyone get not only to restore a shop complex but to rebuild a railroad and the stock it ran with, especially here in the states?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:25 am 

We thought about going, but there were just too many things going on here (vaccine appointments, dicey weather, our disabilities acting up...) We’re just glad there was a good turnout that really shows how much interest EBT commands even after the long shutdown.

The building repairs the Friends have managed are awe-inspiring. I hope everything settles enough by summer that we can get there and see it all in person.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:25 am 

Becky is so right. With the new owners ( EBT Foundation) now having the financial muscle needed this rebirth will be the premier railway preservation story of the decade.

I'm told on good authority that progress on restoring the 2 steamers is on schedule and that steam will again be part of the EBT scene this summer.

I 'm really looking forward to being able to ride to the top of the 3% Joller branch and enjoying the 100 mile vista at the summit.

Exciting and meaningful. Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:11 pm 

We’ll see Ross.

They’ll probably get there in time but there are a lot of variables involved in fixing that portion of line up. Over a dozen road crossings, at least 5 bridges, 1 tunnel, and 13 miles before you get to the switch onto the Joller Branch.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:42 pm 

Lack of steam at this time and COVID clearly played a big hand in this going under most people's radar, I bet.
co614 wrote:
I'm told on good authority that progress on restoring the 2 steamers is on schedule and that steam will again be part of the EBT scene this summer.
That's so good to hear, Ross.
Like many of you, I had given up on ever seeing the EBT running (I went out there twice when I was stationed on MD in the late 90s in the Army, but they weren't running anything either weekend I got there, and I never found out why, in a pre-internet era where nobody answered the phone) and had assumed it was going to be parted out in my lifetime.
Naturally, I'm so glad to hear that the future of the EBT seems quite bright indeed.
Now, we just need to get out of this darned pandemic, so crowds can again flock to the EBT to ride!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:02 pm 

I think the pandemic probably played a bigger role in attendance than anything else. Warmer weather and a majority of the population having had at least the first round of vaccinations should make a difference by Memorial Day, but this still won't be a banner year for most things. Listening to the medical experts, I still expect to be wearing a mask and keeping a cautious distance from others for quite some time to come, even after I get a vaccine. The variants going around are a reason for concern, and until science gets a better handle on the best way to suppress them, caution should still be the watchword. Let's put it this way, I'm in no hurry to sit down in a restaurant with friends anytime soon. I might be willing to attend a meeting with limited participation by people who have all been vaccinated by at least the first round, everyone socially distancing, and wearing masks by the end of May; or a limited outdoor event with similar precautions. Shoulder-to-shoulder at a concert, sporting event, train ride, or similar event is still a long-way off for me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:57 pm 

PaulWWoodring wrote:
Listening to the medical experts, I still expect to be wearing a mask and keeping a cautious distance from others for quite some time to come, even after I get a vaccine. The variants going around are a reason for concern, and until science gets a better handle on the best way to suppress them, caution should still be the watchword. Let's put it this way, I'm in no hurry to sit down in a restaurant with friends anytime soon.

Given that the Covid-19 vaccines range from being only 90%-94.5% effective, it might be wise to continue wearing a mask for years to come and forgo social activities, even if the virus gets down to lower levels. Perhaps instead of going out to eat with friends, host a Zoom meeting.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:05 pm 

What steamguy73 ( and everyone else) needs to understand is that this project has now been " adopted" by 3 of railroading's most knowledgeable AND successful leaders.

Bennett Levin, Wick Moorman and Henry Posner have very publicly stated their commitment to seeing the EBT complex ( much more than just a 31 mile ng railroad) brought back to full functionality in all aspects. In other words their goal is for you to be able to take a steam powered train ride on the full 31 miles and enjoy a ride up the steep 3 % Joller branch to enjoy the endless view from the summit. AND, while you're there spend some quality time on a guided,narrated tour of the extensive Rockhill steam powered shop complex in full operation manufacturing all the parts and pieces needed to keep the railroad in full operation.

The 3 leaders have constructed a 5 year business plan that includes estimates of the dollars needed to fund all the various major pieces needed to accomplish the above ( in excess of $ 20MM) and they are aggressively pursuing raising that capital.

I for one will bet on their success. I'm confident that a ride up the Joller branch is in our future,....... sooner than later.

IMHO-Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:46 pm 

co614 wrote:
I for one will bet on their success. I'm confident that a ride up the Joller branch is in our future,....... sooner than later.

It certainly helps that the initial inspections of the bridges and tunnels have found them to be in better condition than most would believe after 65 years of sitting idle*. Of the two tunnels, Sideling Hill is in better condition (meaning less work and lower immediate cost to repair).

From what the railroad have said on social media, the Pogue bridge in particular is in surprisingly good shape despite suffering multiple floods and having trees deposited in its piers, though it will still require some work. The bridge and approaches were recently cleared of brush and trees to facilitate maintenance and repairs.

Mike Huhn photo, Feb 20 2021, Fans of the East Broad Top Railroad on Facebook:

*Well, ok, there was that time the M-1 struggled south to Three Springs in the early 60s to keep the high school from severing the ROW, and the tunnel is partially collapsed with standing water. But overall, nothing insurmountable with those three titans backing the project.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:06 pm 

co614 wrote:
What steamguy73 ( and everyone else) needs to understand is that this project has now been " adopted" by 3 of railroading's most knowledgeable AND successful leaders.

Bennett Levin, Wick Moorman and Henry Posner have very publicly stated their commitment to seeing the EBT complex ( much more than just a 31 mile ng railroad) brought back to full functionality in all aspects. In other words their goal is for you to be able to take a steam powered train ride on the full 31 miles and enjoy a ride up the steep 3 % Joller branch to enjoy the endless view from the summit. AND, while you're there spend some quality time on a guided,narrated tour of the extensive Rockhill steam powered shop complex in full operation manufacturing all the parts and pieces needed to keep the railroad in full operation.

The 3 leaders have constructed a 5 year business plan that includes estimates of the dollars needed to fund all the various major pieces needed to accomplish the above ( in excess of $ 20MM) and they are aggressively pursuing raising that capital.

IMHO-Ross Rowland

I’m not doubting that they’ll be successful in making the project to go to Joller. But it doesn’t mean I can’t be concerned about the number of road crossings (two of them over PA route 994), as well as the track going in front of a high school. Over 10 of them just to Saltillo.

There are a lot of variables that are involved here and need to be dealt with. And I don’t see anything wrong with expressing concern about those areas.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:13 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
msrlha_archivist wrote:
Given that the Covid-19 vaccines range from being only 90%-94.5% effective, it might be wise to continue wearing a mask for years to come and forgo social activities, even if the virus gets down to lower levels. Perhaps instead of going out to eat with friends, host a Zoom meeting.

Guess you'd also better give up driving lest you get into a car accident. Or eating lest you choke.

Some of us refuse to sacrifice virtually all the trappings of society and civilization in the pursuit of some figment of "complete safety."

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:47 pm 

Steamguy73 wrote:
But it doesn’t mean I can’t be concerned about the number of road crossings (two of them over PA route 994), as well as the track going in front of a high school. Over 10 of them just to Saltillo.

Those grade crossings can be made safer using "Section 130" money, a federal program that provides funds for the elimination of hazards at railway-highway crossings. It had $245 Million in funding for fiscal year 2020. PennDOT has a Grade Crossing Unit that handles those projects.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:01 pm 

I guess what I’m most concerned is both of those state road crossings, as well as the sheer amount of them.

Even if most of them are on rural side roads, there’s still 10 places where a car driver can be an idiot. Visibility in some of those areas probably does need improvement.

There’s also a concern with the track near the high school, and super near the Pogue bridge. I remember there was an arson attack on the bridge just north of Orbisonia not too long ago, and while that bridge ended up fine, others might not.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:06 pm 

Cross posted from the NGDF, a video by "jimsmithebtrr" is brief and has very nice views of the February 2021 event (although no views of electric operations on the Shade Gap branch).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5JV2bhHAqA