It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Train that Wouldn't Die
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:46 pm 

John Deere Green is still readily available, but the Oliver Green is darker and looks more like Gator Green to me. We have decided to use Tractor Supply Majik brand "Oliver Green" for the cab woodwork for that reason, and also because the McHugh Company has used this shade many times over the years.

Sammy King

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:20 pm 

LOL Sammy!!! I think you're okay with Black and Aluminum...for now.

From right to left, Burlington Northern Cascade Green, 5316 Waterloo Boy/John Deere Green, Penn Central Green, 6202 Green, and 1317 Green along with the two darkest again, Forester Green and IH Dark Green. I've seen 5316 listed as one of the Oliver greens as well...

Attachments:
fandeckgreenassortment.jpg
fandeckgreenassortment.jpg [ 81.33 KiB | Viewed 69168 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:05 pm 

Now here's 1317 Green on the sixties-era REA Express signs and what the green on REX #812 on the last page should look more like...

Attachments:
1317reaexpresssigns.jpg
1317reaexpresssigns.jpg [ 36.86 KiB | Viewed 69155 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:09 am 

I might suggest watching "Swamp People" to see what I have in mind for Audrey's cab color. Since JC and I had exactly the same idea for the brand and paint shade, we figure we have plenty other things to worry about besides painting the cab. It will be the color it comes out when the paint we agree on dries...

There have been a few questions about the intended future appearance of Audrey, so here is how I'm thinking of this rebuild: FIRST, No matter what we do, we are expecting to be criticized by somebody. While I am open to suggestions and questions, the bottom line is that I'm going to do whatever I feel like for whatever reason makes sense in my often deluded mind, because I'm the guy responsible for the whole shebang. I make no claim to be authentic or logical or to be living up to any standards established by anybody else, other than the FRA or bona fide regulatory agencies who may have jurisdiction over our intended activities.

The basic concept I have might be considered to not make sense --- my idea is that Audrey is an industrial locomotive that somehow survived, and is being rebuilt so she can continue to be used for the unforeseeable future. She is being rebuilt by a firm that specializes in the rebuilding, sales, leasing, and repairs of industrial locomotives. As much as possible I am trying to keep Audrey's appearance from the 50s, the end of her service life. However, there are an awful lot of broken, worn out, obsolete parts on her, which will need to be FIXED RIGHT so that whomever watches over her after we've all marked off for the last time will not be stuck with hidden problems (or obvious ones, for that matter).

One thing that will look different is the new welded boiler. No attempt will be made to disguise it as a riveted boiler, such as others have chosen to do with their engines. There will be three blowdowns, rather than the one makeshift gizmo that she used to have, and the third one will be in the belly near the front tube sheet China Rail style. The change in plumbing will be a small price to pay for keeping that new boiler clean. Another thing that will look different will be the way she sits after we finish fixing the frame and spring rigging, I can't even picture how she will look leveled and trammed, or how the new cab will fit.

Other things will be like they were 70 or more years ago, such as the footboards and wooden pilot beams, cab carpentry, the original whistle, fuel tank position, locations of headlights and most appliances, and the simple paint scheme.

As always, thanks for your interest, stay tuned, Take Care & WORK SAFE.

Sammy King

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:00 am 

This is one of the most comprehensive listings of implement colors I've found so far, Sammy...

http://www.rodnh.byethost12.com/misc/du ... es.pdf?i=1

Over time, Oliver has used 5316, 1317, 5800 (Southern Sylvan Green), and 6202. Apparently, 6202 is Oliver Meadow Green so back off to my Reading thread I go... LOL

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:15 pm 

Well, if we don't like the color, we can just paint over it...

Sammy King

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:20 pm 

If it's right the first time, then you won't have to, Sammy. LOL The Majic Oliver Green looks just like 1317 to me and would the green color Oliver used pre-1951 or so. I've got a TSC location about ten minutes away and this sounds like a fun little side project. All I need to do is find something or someone to paint green and I'll report back in with the results...

Attachments:
majicolivergreenspray.jpg
majicolivergreenspray.jpg [ 32.05 KiB | Viewed 68828 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:16 pm 

Pete, you might check with your local zoo. Maybe you can match a swatch to one of their Gators....

Sammy King

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:35 am 

ZooAmerica in Hershey is about ten minutes the other way. The only problem with that is, if I check in there, they'd probably want to admit me.

Since we're getting all wildlife-friendly here, the Audubon Society is fond of using International Dark Green on quite a few of their products, including this thistle seed tube feeder pictured below.

Although it's not offered as part of their standard implement color lineup, I'd be fairly certain the Majic folks know how to make it if that's what you had chosen to go with.

Oh, and by the way, Black and Aluminum are Rio Grande colors as well. LOLOLOL

Attachments:
auduboninternationaldarkgreen.jpg
auduboninternationaldarkgreen.jpg [ 159.52 KiB | Viewed 68673 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:25 pm 

Well, here you go, Sammy...

While the vintage steel fencepost preservation purists might get mad at me for painting it a lighter color, New Audrey Green be 5316. Still rhymes, though...

Attachments:
newaudreygreen.jpg
newaudreygreen.jpg [ 167.28 KiB | Viewed 68571 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:10 am 

Pete, after four rounds of eye surgery, I can barely recognize myself in the mirror. I'm happy if I can stay on the track, not hit anything, and pick up my paycheck twice a month.

Sammy King

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:42 am 

Hey, I didn't need to put my welding goggles on in order to look at you if that helps. LOL

5316 was the old Consolidated Freightways green. John Deere used 5316 on their snowmobiles like this 1973 Model 400 here which is a good alternative example of how that particular green appears when it's combined with black...

https://www.mecum.com/lots/GA0416-25003 ... nowmobile/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:42 pm 

Pete, when I'm looking out the window, the cab could be yellow with purple paisleys on it for all I know. Anyhow, we've pretty well decided to try whatever Oliver Green involves the least hassle for us. It's bound to look better than the cab Audrey had this time last year.

Sammy King

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:21 am 

Yeah it will, Sammy. and you could always turn the purple paisleys into violet paramecia just to see if anyone notices the difference.

Or, you could just paint the whole thing purple and we'll call her Barney.

5316 is the real Oliver Meadow Green according to the Oliver Heritage folks...

https://oliverheritage.com/oliver-histo ... int-codes/

Digital cameras do tend to brighten that color up. It does look darker in person.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:35 pm 

"I love you, you love me..."

Sorry Sammy, I forgot Barney has a green belly also.

Here are Old Oliver Green (1317), New Oliver Green (5316), and John Deere Green (262). John Deere Green matches the Burlington Northern's Cascade Green and you can get a pretty good idea as to why it could be so hard to see at grade crossings...

Attachments:
grnfp.jpg
grnfp.jpg [ 164.31 KiB | Viewed 67868 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next