It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nevada Northern 81
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:58 am 

Nevada Northern 2-8-0 No. 81 has been restored to steam. This caught my attention on social media and I did not see it here so I'm sharing. Good work NN!

https://www.facebook.com/nnry1/

Maybe it won't work out. But maybe seeing if it does will be the best adventure ever.

Post subject: Re: Nevada Northern 81
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:47 pm 

Kudos to NN Ry for 3 engines in steam.

81 isn't runnable yet (she'll run in 2021) and today was 40's last trip pending a 1472-day overhaul.

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:16 pm 

81's boiler has been operational and able to be steamed up since September. However as noted by the prior poster, the engine is not yet fully operational since it is lacking in some work on the running gear and also needs new appliances finished. For example the air compressors for the brake system that 81 had going into preservation were installed on 93 after its 1995 accident, replacing 93's damaged compressors. Brand new compressors are being fabricated for 81's restoration. 81 though is moving fast, and rumors are putting it as being 100% complete for a early summer 2021 debut.

After that shop work will turn to the 15 year rebuild of 40 which just went down yesterday at the end of its boiler certification. 40 has been running with lots of patch work and band-aids, and needs plenty of repairs to bring it back up to operation. When I last saw 40 in operation in 2019 the engine was showing its age, the NN maintains it well; but little rust spots, weathering patterns over the paint and little clanking noises just made the engine seem tired. Well worn, well maintained, but tired and in need for that big break down and rebuild. If 93 and soon 81's latest restorations are any indication though 40 is in great hands. 93 when I last saw it this year seems to run very smooth and is very clean, telling of how thorough its last restoration was.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:18 pm 

What all will 40 need other than the typical 1472 items?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:27 pm 

xboxtravis7992 wrote:
but little rust spots, weathering patterns over the paint and little clanking noises just made the engine seem tired.

Xboxtravis7992,
What a poor barometer to measure a locomotive's condition. Do you know the scope of work that is projected for the 1472 inspection? When I visited the Nevada Northern in 2006, the No. 40 was undergoing thorough mechanical work. If I had a dollar for every foamer that bemoaned a rusty smokebox or a weathered paint job on a locomotive, I'd be rich. Rust is a natural process of metal oxidation. As for clanking noises, in off-seasons, shop crews often tend to clanking and bearing noises in my experience, if not sooner.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:54 pm 

msrlha_archivist wrote:
xboxtravis7992 wrote:
but little rust spots, weathering patterns over the paint and little clanking noises just made the engine seem tired.

Xboxtravis7992,
What a poor barometer to measure a locomotive's condition. Do you know the scope of work that is projected for the 1472 inspection? When I visited the Nevada Northern in 2006, the No. 40 was undergoing thorough mechanical work. If I had a dollar for every foamer that bemoaned a rusty smokebox or a weathered paint job on a locomotive, I'd be rich. Rust is a natural process of metal oxidation. As for clanking noises, in off-seasons, shop crews often tend to clanking and bearing noises in my experience, if not sooner.

Well while I pointed out the external issues, they were just visible reminders of internal issues that were much bigger. I am not saying in any way that 40 was in very bad shape, just that it was being 14 years on its 15 year ticket beginning to show outward cosmetic signs of needing that rebuild. Frankly from a railfan perspective I actually liked that 40 had some small rust spots and weathering, it gave it some character trackside that wouldn't be obvious in an engine that is kept much more clean. But by no means was I suggesting the weathering was unsafe in any means! Just saying it had some surface level scars from use.

I had the same observations with UP 844 in 2011 right near the end of its 15 year ticket and when I saw it again in 2017 and 2019 in the years after its last rebuild where it was much more polished. I'm just stating that engines at the end of their running time tend to cosmetically and auditorily suggest their age, even though its all within design parameters it is still all the same a tell that a much needed rebuild is coming. And of course any major issues internally would not be visible from just a trackside observation.

From everyone I have talked to with connections to the Nevada Northern though the main issues outside the regular boiler rebuild are running gear issues, fixing some problems on the frame and addressing stuff in the tender. Its worth pointing out 93's rebuild took about a year to finish, but the NN is giving on their Facebook page a 2 year or more estimate time for 40; giving them the time they need to really get in and address as many of the issues as they can. Its nothing that far out of the ordinary on a machine that is 110 years old and has operated for many decades in excursion service; but they are issues that need to be fixed all the same. Seeing that both 93 is fresh from its last rebuild and 81 will be completed soon, I think its safe to say that steam will remain well active in Ely during 40's hiatus.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:20 pm 

Food for thought:

Trains Magazine celebrates its 80th birthday this year with Soo Line 1003, but with COVID-19 restrictions, not many can make it.

How about celebrating the 81st year at East Ely?

Phil Mulligan