It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Reading #1187 (Run again?)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:33 pm 

Here is Kelly's earlier reply. Note the 2006 date.

Wesley

http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20627&p=88179&hilit=1187#p88179

Quote:
Kelly Anderson
Post subject: Re: Latest from the Strasburg Rail Road Shops
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:31 am

Quote:
And how is 0-4-0C #1187 doing?

Quote:
DON'T ASK WHEN!!

That pretty well covers that subject.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:08 am 

Agreed, they have #7312 to finish first, then who knows what other engines they have to work on, including outside jobs and contracts. I don't think the Camelback is a priority right now, even though many people would love for that to be the case!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:18 am 

She'll be done when she's done - but I think the actual question was whether there was still interest in restoring the engine to operation anytime soon. Now, "soon" is a relative term, but the question was logical considering she was brought back to Strasburg over 8 years ago! Time flies...!

/Mitch

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:21 am 

bigjim4life wrote:
Agreed, they have #7312 to finish first, then who knows what other engines they have to work on, including outside jobs and contracts. I don't think the Camelback is a priority right now, even though many people would love for that to be the case!

I would also think the CPR 4-6-0 from railtours would be in front of the 1187. Small, yes. Powerful, yes. But there are larger engines in front that would be better for use year round instead of during the off-peak season. It's just about the economy of which locomotive would be best suited for such year round use.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:10 am 

Kinda makes you wonder just how many steam locomotives they need for just 4.5 miles of track. I'm pleased they run as many as they current do!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:19 am 

Emmo213 wrote:
Kinda makes you wonder just how many steam locomotives they need for just 4.5 miles of track. I'm pleased they run as many as they current do!

Answer: 0

They don't need any of them to run their operations, they want them, but don't need them. Particularly now with their freight, they could in theory, close up operations of their passenger trains and run the SW8 as needed for freight, cut staff down to 3 people and make nice money.

Obviously, that's not going to happen, but the point is, the "NEED" for steam anywhere is nil.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:39 am 

Some of us down here wish we had one steamer running.

All the best for Strasburg!

Martin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:21 am 

junior wrote:
Emmo213 wrote:
Kinda makes you wonder just how many steam locomotives they need...

Answer: 0

They don't need any of them to run their operations, they want them, but don't need them. Particularly now with their freight, they could in theory, close up operations of their passenger trains and run the SW8 as needed for freight, cut staff down to 3 people and make nice money.

Obviously, that's not going to happen, but the point is, the "NEED" for steam anywhere is nil.

Perhaps not - maybe someone can provide the actual details, but wasn't Strasburg one of the top most popular STEAM tourist line destinations in the US? I thought I read it was second only to Alaska (with all those cruise patrons being dumped at their doorstep). Not sure where the D&SNG fits in on current ranking, but suffice it to say, without steam, there would be a lot less business on the line.

In regards to freight - also, I welcome the specifics - but if I recall correctly, 2-10-0 #90 was brought out one Winter day since the diesel was not powerful enough to bring a consist over the grade and to the yard at Strasburg.

So, nil, not.

/Mitch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:39 am 

"DO THEY, a 4.5 mile short line, really NEED another steam locomotive?" was the question posed and, as a Business, NO..they do not need steam to keep money flowing in. They in reality do not need to be even in the passenger business if they didn't want to be... they have the shops and the freight that could surely keep them in business, maybe not as we see today, but in much better shape than most 4.5 mile short lines.

As for 90 on that one freight, if they had no steam, they'd either doubled up, or buy another diesel, just like any other progressive short line would. I can tell you plenty of "bottom line" guys who would cringe at the cost to operated that one trip with steam, compared to two trips with diesel. (subtracting the - already steamed up and maintained for passenger service - equation)

Point of my response was, no steam any where "needs" to be running..it's all out of want. There are plenty of tourist roads operating with diesels doing just fine, maybe not like SRR, but still fine.

As for the White Pass & Yukon...they operate limited steam, with mostly diesel, but have trumped the SRR in terms of ridership for several years, attracting somewhere in the area of over 440,000 passengers in a 5 month season, which is about what SRR gets in a full year, give or take 20,000 here or there.

Durango and Silverton, on the other hand, operating with all steam, hauls about 150,000 per year.

Yes, the WP&Y has big boats dumping people on them left and right, but SRR was in "Amish Country" which was always a big drawing card, however, commercial development (ironically enough-created by the draw seen at the SRR over the last 60 years) has decreased their footprint...not to mention the loss in the uniqueness of the Amish People by the average Citizen... I can get Amish Food here in NE Philly by taking a short walk, and enjoy talking to them at their store, or go into Center City and buy goods..why do I need to go to Strasburg?

Location, Location, Location... and the demand at said location. Demand is not always based on the power at the head end. Steam is a "experience"...not a necessity, at least for most.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:30 am 

Steam is our raison d'être. There is no Strasburg Rail Road without steam. We could do without internal combustion, as we have discussed internally from time to time, but there is no way to approximate our current revenues without steam and steam-oriented preservation.

The only way to generate similar revenues on the freight side would be to industrialize the whole line, but then we would look like the Road to Hades. We're not going there.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:24 pm 

Any word on the status of Reading #1187?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:58 pm 

I think Kelly's "DON'T ASK WHEN" comment, still applies.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:05 pm 

I see. Well how is the current condition #1187 looks like right now. I heard she has been getting worse and worser looking ever year from what I have seen in photos

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:28 pm 

Me thinks my Len Shane-o-meter is maxed out.

Joshua

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:50 pm 

Joshua K. Blay wrote:
Me thinks my Len Shane-o-meter is maxed out.

Joshua

lmfao